Positive Covid test on ship

J&W92

1 minute ago, LHARTWICK said:

Exactly......and for those of use who leave our car in a paid lot during the cruise, you can bet we'll be getting our car from that lot before they tow it away to make room for the following week's cruisers!  At that point, I guess someone would have to chase us down to keep us from driving back home - LOL!  To the OP:  good luck whatever you decide.  I wouldn't blame you for cancelling - nor would I blame you for continuing with your cruise.  Happy cruising to all!

I have seen it reported that Carnival is taking covid positive cases directly to the port parking lot to their vehicles. 

I have seen that there is a procedure in place for positive cases to take something like Uber to a more remote location if needed. It lays out all of the precautions the passengers and drivers must take per that contract.

Just now, Brew12 said:

I have seen it reported that Carnival is taking covid positive cases directly to the port parking lot to their vehicles. 

I have seen that there is a procedure in place for positive cases to take something like Uber to a more remote location if needed. It lays out all of the precautions the passengers and drivers must take per that contract.

Very helpful. Good info - thanks!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Babr said:

No chance of an outbreak preventing the ship from docking. Those possibilities were addressed in the CSO.

Greater chance that you will be required to quarantine before returning home if you test positive.

Little chance that you can drive yourself home based on the experience of the last people on Carnival who had to quarantine. They had flown to the port, but at no point were they given the option to drive themselves home in a rent car. That tells me you are required to quarantine regardless of how you got to the port.

CDC Guidance says that people who drive to the port do not need to quarantine in the port city.  The biggest risk to cruising is testing positive, being quarantined in a room until the next port stop.  At that point, you risk being disembarked at a foreign port with no way to drive home.

12 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

It really doesn't confirm. It just says consider the time it could take. 2 of the 4 people didn't need to quarantine.

They didn't choose to drive because they would need to rent 2 cars, and rental car rates are sky high right now, and even higher for one way rentals. They did consider. I don't think anyone monitors quarantining whether at a hotel or home. There were something over 235,000 new cases in the US yesterday.  

1 hour ago, Brew12 said:

In the US there are very few situations in which you can be quarantined against your will. 

What? Everyone who was quarantined during COVID was quarantined against their will. If you were told to quarantine you were expected to stay home and that literally meant stay home. I had one co-worker who had the police drive by his house every day and check through the window that he was there. And I saw plenty of stories of people who went to places like Hawaii, were told to quarantine and didn't, and faced heavy fines and sometimes jail time.

As far as not driving  3 days home, that would be difficult to enforce. I imagine that Carnival would notify the hotel that you were going there on quarantine (to make sure no staff had contact with you) and the health department. If you turned around and drove home, they might notice you were gone (I imagine they would call to check on you from time to time), but it would be a little hard to find you. I would hope an ethical person would not choose to ignore quarantine and drive home in a situation where they had to stop and eat, use restroom, get gas, and check in a hotel several times. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

What? Everyone who was quarantined during COVID was quarantined against their will. If you were told to quarantine you were expected to stay home and that literally meant stay home. I had one co-worker who had the police drive by his house every day and check through the window that he was there. And I saw plenty of stories of people who went to places like Hawaii, were told to quarantine and didn't, and faced heavy fines and sometimes jail time.

I should be more clear. The CDC and federal governments do not have the right to force a US citizen into quarantining. They have limited ability to restrict spread across national and state lines but there is no criminal penalty associated with it. That does change at the state, county, and local levels. I am not aware of any state, county or local laws that would prevent you from traveling to your place of quarantining. Only from leaving it once there.

10 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Yes.

First there was a CSO

And then there was not

But the whole time the cruise lines acted as if it was still required, not recommended.

The entire Florida premise that the CSO was stopping cruises and hurting Florida that the judge in that case concurred with was bogus!

Agreed, if anything cruise lines were looking to be more restrictive than the CSO's required. Not a single cruise line challenged the CSO in court. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Brew12 said:

I should be more clear. The CDC and federal governments do not have the right to force a US citizen into quarantining. They have limited ability to restrict spread across national and state lines but there is no criminal penalty associated with it. That does change at the state, county, and local levels. I am not aware of any state, county or local laws that would prevent you from traveling to your place of quarantining. Only from leaving it once there.

If you came up positive in Fort Lauderdale, you would be ordered to quarantine by the Fort Lauderdale health department. Not to drive home to Kansas and then quarantine. In that instance, a hotel in Fort Lauderdale would become your quarantine location. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Brew12 said:

Agreed, if anything cruise lines were looking to be more restrictive than the CSO's required. Not a single cruise line challenged the CSO in court. 

Yes, if the cruise lines really were that concerned that the CSO was stopping them, they would have joined that lawsuit.  And now NCL has gone as far as suing Florida over one of its laws that is affecting cruises.

Not only do they want restrictions to stay as safe as they can, they would rather blame the restrictions on the CDC rather than having cruisers blame them.

2 hours ago, LHARTWICK said:

Exactly......and for those of use who leave our car in a paid lot during the cruise, you can bet we'll be getting our car from that lot before they tow it away to make room for the following week's cruisers!  At that point, I guess someone would have to chase us down to keep us from driving back home - LOL!  To the OP:  good luck whatever you decide.  I wouldn't blame you for cancelling - nor would I blame you for continuing with your cruise.  Happy cruising to all!

There was a couple on rcl who had their car in a lot for a while and had a lot of trouble getting someone to go get it, it still wasnt back to their home last I heard.

Rcl flew them home, yea! Unfortunately they drove and insurance wouldn't pay to get their car home from the lot. They finally got a florida family member to go get it but it was at his home then. It's been a hassle. 

Folks Dont be too jealous rcl flew people home from the next port instead of isolating them until they returned to home port. No perfect answers. 

Just now, firefly333 said:

There was a couple on rcl who had their car in a lot for a while and had a lot of trouble getting someone to go get it, it still wasnt back to their home last I heard.

Rcl flew them home, yea! Unfortunately they drove and insurance wouldn't pay to get their car home from the lot. They finally got a florida family member to go get it but it was at his home then. It's been a hassle. 

Folks Dont be too jealous rcl flew people home from the next port instead of isolating them until they returned to home port. No perfect answers. 

I wonder why they didn't just put the people in quarantine on RCL.  People who have covid probably don't need to be in an airport where they can infect other people.

1 minute ago, TNcruising02 said:

I wonder why they didn't just put the people in quarantine on RCL.  People who have covid probably don't need to be in an airport where they can infect other people.

My understanding is that this was a private charter so bypassed the crowds in the airport.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

Lol it was worse ... they flew them home separately!  She was positive, small plane, room for some luggage, flew her home, by the next day he was positive and flew him home also in a private jet they scrambled to get the rest of the luggage in..so both flown home, neither could get to their car in florida. I think he wound up being sicker, good thing he went home. But insurance wouldnt cover their car in florida. Impossible to plan for everything.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, J&W92 said:

Sorry if these have already been covered. 

Me and my wife are scheduled to sail on the Vista on 8/21. While we are super excited, we are also a little worried if a huge covid breakout were to happen. Does anyone think there is any chance of ship not being allowed to dock for several days like when covid first started? I'm thinking w/ all who are vaccinated now that may not be as risky to happen. 

I know the Delta variant seems  maybe spread more so than earlier covid, but there's going to be covid cases pop up all around us no matter if on a cruise, at work, at the store, etc. Maybe just wishful thinking but I really don't think the positive tests will go up substantially on ships due to number of vaccinated.

Also, does anyone know for sure if you were to test positive on the ship but drove to port, would you still have to quarantine before being allowed to leave for home. What are y'alls thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

A vaccinated person testing positive is nothing new. That says nothing about that person getting sick at all. The vaccine does NOT prevent vaccinated persons from carrying the virus and passing it to others, especially the non vaccinated. That is why the vaccination works to protect the individual from getting sick. I see no reason not to cruise because of this report. If in fact it is true. Heard nothing about it on the local news or the news paper here in Florida. The only mask I want to see on our October 30th Mardi Gras cruise are the Halloween ones. I really would not like to wear one on the cruise.

17 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

How about common sense for what quarantine means. 

• Isolated or quarantined persons should have no direct contact with other persons except for medical designee.

Interim Guidance for Ships on Managing Suspected or Confirmed Cases of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) | Quarantine | CDC

Common sense would say that if you can't get home without having direct contact with other persons; aka, food service, gas stations, hotel check in; you shouldn't be doing it. 

That is while ON the ship. We don't know how many, if any, or the alleged cases are ON the ship.

Common sense would seem to indicate you can't get off of the ship without close contact with someone. Checking into a hotel for quarantine or checking into a hotel while driving home - what's the difference?

1 minute ago, BlerkOne said:

That is while ON the ship. We don't know how many, if any, or the alleged cases are ON the ship.

Common sense would seem to indicate you can't get off of the ship without close contact with someone. Checking into a hotel for quarantine or checking into a hotel while driving home - what's the difference?

I'm relatively certain that if you are going from a cruise ship to a hotel for a quarantine, that will be pre-arranged and the hotel 1. knows you are coming and covid positive and 2. is set up to receive quarantining travelers so they will have protocols in place. Most likely you will go from the parking lot to your room without having direct contact with any employees.

Unlike, driving home, stopping at the gas station and getting a soda or paying for gas next to someone; stopping at a drive through and having the girl stick her head out the window towards you; getting to a random hotel where they have no idea you are covid positive, full normal check in process, and then the maid doesn't take extra precautions when she cleans your room the next day. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sanger727 said:

I'm relatively certain that if you are going from a cruise ship to a hotel for a quarantine, that will be pre-arranged and the hotel 1. knows you are coming and covid positive and 2. is set up to receive quarantining travelers so they will have protocols in place. Most likely you will go from the parking lot to your room without having direct contact with any employees.

Unlike, driving home, stopping at the gas station and getting a soda or paying for gas next to someone; stopping at a drive through and having the girl stick her head out the window towards you; getting to a random hotel where they have no idea you are covid positive, full normal check in process, and then the maid doesn't take extra precautions when she cleans your room the next day. 

AS we learned from one family - all Carnival did for them was hand them a list of hotels, some with wrong phone numbers, and left it up to them.

AS we learned from one family - all Carnival did for them was hand them a list of hotels, some with wrong phone numbers, and left it up to them.

I haven't seen that specific post so I don't know all the details. But clearly, if Carnival has a list of hotels to give people with covid, they are quarantine approved and they have processes in place to deal with covid positive people. 

Those were hotels contracted by the cruise line for that purpose. Whether you think so or not, it is likely that Carnival informed them and the health department that positive guests would be arriving by pre-arranged transportation.

4 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

I don't have a law to cite, and you are correct. There is most likely health orders that apply in one jurisdiction and once you leave that jurisdiction they no longer apply to you. But, I still would hope that common sense would hold out that you can't rent a car, like normal, go into a restaurant to eat, like normal, check into a hotel, like normal; if you are covid positive. Even if no one will arrest your or fine you for it... it is WRONG 

There are many times where doing the wrong thing isn't in violation of the law. 

A good example of that is Carnival's masking requirements. I see people arguing about if you can take your mask off in a bar area or if "slip and sip" is required. What I am coming to a conclusion on is that "slip and sip" is required but not enforced so people are planning on violating that policy while on their cruise.

The right thing to do, and what is actually being done, rarely line up nicely.

4 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

I haven't seen that specific post so I don't know all the details. But clearly, if Carnival has a list of hotels to give people with covid, they are quarantine approved and they have processes in place to deal with covid positive people. 

It means Carnival has an agreement with the hotels. Not sure how much that is worth, since some were sold out. All hotels should be doing deep cleaning between stays, since so many are not vaccinated, and nobody knows who is positive when someone checks in.

5 minutes ago, Babr said:

Those were hotels contracted by the cruise line for that purpose. Whether you think so or not, it is likely that Carnival informed them and the health department that positive guests would be arriving by pre-arranged transportation.

The family threatened to call an ambulance if Carnival didn't provide transportation. There was nothing prearranged.

To the OP:  its unlikely.  Early response in 2020 was to an unknown pathogen.  Now there are quarantine debark agreements in place at every port and there are ways to handle covid patients.

There is still a risk that a ship-board outbreak could reach the threshold to end a cruise early however.

Just now, BlerkOne said:

The family threatened to call an ambulance if Carnival didn't provide transportation. There was nothing prearranged.

It was arranged by Carnival after the woman in question said she would call an ambulance. If you’ve read previous posts here, you know that the cruise line must follow safety protocols in transporting positive guests. Carnival had to arrange the transportation with an approved provider before the family could leave the ship. It was pre-arranged in order for them to disembark.

11 minutes ago, Babr said:

It was arranged by Carnival after the woman in question said she would call an ambulance. If you’ve read previous posts here, you know that the cruise line must follow safety protocols in transporting positive guests. Carnival had to arrange the transportation with an approved provider before the family could leave the ship. It was pre-arranged in order for them to disembark.

The only protocols are that Carnival had to have agreements with hotels - even the CDC admits that they may not have occupancy available. Carnival has to have transportation arrangements. Nothing says they have to use either. There also has to be sufficient local health care, which in many places, there is not currently. Some people are having to go 100 miles or more for a hospital bed.

Someone who drove their personal car to the port may certainly be allowed to drive it to a quarantine hotel, and if they choose not to stop? Oh well. I'd drive the speed limit to the county line.

We continue to agree to disagree.

2 hours ago, sanger727 said:

How about common sense for what quarantine means. 

• Isolated or quarantined persons should have no direct contact with other persons except for medical designee.

Interim Guidance for Ships on Managing Suspected or Confirmed Cases of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) | Quarantine | CDC

Common sense would say that if you can't get home without having direct contact with other persons; aka, food service, gas stations, hotel check in; you shouldn't be doing it. 

Even though the CDC guidance and all the testing data available shows that brief contact in an enclosed area does not transmit the virus.  It needs to be close contact for an extended period of time.  Going to the bathroom, getting gas, etc is not going to get anyone sick.

• Like 1