For those who have participated in a bid-for-upgrade involving YC (successfully or not) how was your timeline and outcome?

no1talks

1 hour ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Wow 

So if you win, charged double occupancy rate but cant utilize it as a double?

Is that because your current room was charged as a single?

Steve

Not exactly. The entire bid process is based on 2 people. So if there are 3 in the cabin, you still only bid for 2. It doesn't make sense, but what at MSC does?

1 hour ago, publicpersona said:

If you paid for "all in" and also paid for Easy->Premium upgrade, is there any refund if you subsequently successfully bid for YC?

I would wonder if not having the upgrade would effect your bid success.

If 2 people each bid the same and 1 paid more for their booking because they had ultimately paid more due to having an upgrade for booze paid, would they be accepted and you would not be?

Too many mysteries in the process. I know the same company does NCL as well. I once had a Balcony cabin and bid on all haven categories "Max" and I got none of them with many available. Max bid on one was over $10,000.(for 2 people total)

Reason???? I assume others paid more for their cabin than I did. I also doubted others bidded max. 

That is why I keep going back to cabin cost, because in my case, I used points to go from an inside to balcony.

Steve

1 minute ago, mscdivina2016 said:

I would wonder if not having the upgrade would effect your bid success.

If 2 people each bid the same and 1 paid more for their booking because they had ultimately paid more due to having an upgrade for booze paid, would they be accepted and you would not be?

Too many mysteries in the process. I know the same company does NCL as well. I once had a Balcony cabin and bid on all haven categories "Max" and I got none of them with many available. Max bid on one was over $10,000.(for 2 people total)

Reason???? I assume others paid more for their cabin than I did. I also doubted others bidded max. 

That is why I keep going back to cabin cost, because in my case, I used points to go from an inside to balcony.

Steve

I think "in normal times" these types of things might be up for discussion. But now, with the ships basically empty, I would ask...who *isn't* winning a bid?

Is there anyone who hasn't?

Just now, alyssamma said:

I think "in normal times" these types of things might be up for discussion. But now, with the ships basically empty, I would ask...who *isn't* winning a bid?

Thats a good question.

But cruise critic is just a very small portion of cruisers and I recently read on the Meraviglia there was 900+ people??  That is still 450 cabins and a poster stated YC was empty?

So at even half capacity thats 50 YC cabins. SO how many bid offers did they email out?

I have a bid for YC deluxe for October, I am in YC interior now. We will see.

Steve

3 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Thats a good question.

But cruise critic is just a very small portion of cruisers and I recently read on the Meraviglia there was 900+ people??  That is still 450 cabins and a poster stated YC was empty?

So at even half capacity thats 50 YC cabins. SO how many bid offers did they email out?

Steve

I might have been that poster 🙂

On the 8/20 sailing there were about 870 people and YC was empty. However, prob more than 450 cabins - I was solo and 2 people I went with were solo and we met several other solo travelers.

That being said, I'm sure they mailed out a lot of upgrade offers. The real Q is...how many people bid for them? Solo travelers might not have because you have to pay double. Anyone with drinks on us might not have. Anyone with a tight budget might not have.

Yes, this is a small % of cruising pop...but I would expect to find *someone* who missed a bid on these cruises.

Now, for Oct...that is a different story. I think things will be more full then. I don't know your sail date or ship, but if you do a mock booking how many YC1s are still open?

13 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

I might have been that poster 🙂

On the 8/20 sailing there were about 870 people and YC was empty. However, prob more than 450 cabins - I was solo and 2 people I went with were solo and we met several other solo travelers.

That being said, I'm sure they mailed out a lot of upgrade offers. The real Q is...how many people bid for them? Solo travelers might not have because you have to pay double. Anyone with drinks on us might not have. Anyone with a tight budget might not have.

Yes, this is a small % of cruising pop...but I would expect to find *someone* who missed a bid on these cruises.

Now, for Oct...that is a different story. I think things will be more full then. I don't know your sail date or ship, but if you do a mock booking how many YC1s are still open?

It probably was you😁

There are 48 Deluxe available, plus a few duplex and 1 GS, all 15 interiors are sold out. I would assume that all the YC interiors have to do is bid minimum and we would get a YC1. This would still leave 33 YC1s and then 15 YC interiors if all of us bid.  Still 48+ YC cabins would be available being both deluxe and interiors.

Steve

I 

9 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

It probably was you😁

There are 48 Deluxe available, plus a few duplex and 1 GS, all 15 interiors are sold out. I would assume that all the YC interiors have to do is bid minimum and we would get a YC1. This would still leave 33 YC1s and then 15 YC interiors if all of us bid.  Still 48+ YC cabins would be available being both deluxe and interiors.

Steve

I 

With 48 available, I think you have a very good shot...

Thats a good question.

Steve

I’m not sure they want to fill up the YC. I think they release less to make the customer enjoy it more. I know when we were upgraded there was low occupancy in YC and it was amazing and we rebooked! It may be about quality not quantity. In the long game….we enjoyed it and paid for the experience on next booking so they won by upgrading us.

Now, I’m  just hoping our bid will be accepted on the next one from interior to YC deluxe!

1 hour ago, alyssamma said:

We put in a bid 8/11 for our 10/30 Meraviglia cruise and have not heard yet if our bid was accepted.

1 hour ago, macusr said:

We put in a bid 8/11 for our 10/30 Meraviglia cruise and have not heard yet if our bid was accepted.

I am on the 10/23 and have not heard yet.

Steve

24 minutes ago, alexkrn46 said:

put a bid in for our Labor Day weekend cruise, and no word

Sorry, should have clarified...I meant the Aug short cruises. For the Oct ones...I think there is a good chance you'll get it, but won't find out until late Sept at the earliest. Still plenty of time for others to pay full price for it.

Labor Day is a crap shoot...please post back and let us know if you got it...

On 8/23/2021 at 9:08 AM, GA Dave said:

Just received my upgrade email this morning at 5:00 AM for my cruise this Friday on the Meraviglia.  Was a solo in a Fantastica balcony on deck 10, upgraded to a YC Deluxe Suite forward facing with balcony on deck 15.  Very pleased.

On 8/23/2021 at 1:47 PM, cyndyga said:

Solo but you had to pay x2 correct to upgrade?

I've never bid for an upgrade before, need advice.  I'm currently booked on Divina 7 night September 19.  I'm a solo Diamond member, booked in a Fantastica balcony, With my 5% discount, I'm currently paying $429USD  plus 128 tax, total= $557.00, a great price for a solo balcony.  

My problem is I have low mobility right now, plan on taking my cane and a walker, possibly a wheelchair.  Between that struggle and Covid running rampant in Florida, when I got email to bid for an upgrade to the Yacht Club, I thought that was a great idea, much less walking.  My email said the minimum bid for a Yacht Club cabin was $710 per person.  I bid a little more than that, 780 per person, 1560 total per the email.  

So, if it's accepted, is this in addition to the 557 I already paid?  Would I pay 780 extra or 1560 extra?  If it's 1560 plus 557, that's 2117.  If I go in and just book it on my own, it's 2280 plus tax.  Are these crazy prices or is this what people pay?  I'm trying to justify it to myself that I haven't cruised in two years and if I don't get the YC, I will probably cancel.  I've been on Disability since February of 2020, so, not exactly rolling in the dough.  Please help me understand, especially Dave, since you're in such a similar position, what did you pay?  I put in my bid Friday, haven't heard anything, should I cancel my bid  because it's much more than all these people getting 200 minimum bids?  Thanks!

4 minutes ago, maureencruiser said:

I've never bid for an upgrade before, need advice.  I'm currently booked on Divina 7 night September 19.  I'm a solo Diamond member, booked in a Fantastica balcony, With my 5% discount, I'm currently paying $429USD  plus 128 tax, total= $557.00, a great price for a solo balcony.  

My problem is I have low mobility right now, plan on taking my cane and a walker, possibly a wheelchair.  Between that struggle and Covid running rampant in Florida, when I got email to bid for an upgrade to the Yacht Club, I thought that was a great idea, much less walking.  My email said the minimum bid for a Yacht Club cabin was $710 per person.  I bid a little more than that, 780 per person, 1560 total per the email.  

So, if it's accepted, is this in addition to the 557 I already paid?  Would I pay 780 extra or 1560 extra?  If it's 1560 plus 557, that's 2117.  If I go in and just book it on my own, it's 2280 plus tax.  Are these crazy prices or is this what people pay?  I'm trying to justify it to myself that I haven't cruised in two years and if I don't get the YC, I will probably cancel.  I've been on Disability since February of 2020, so, not exactly rolling in the dough.  Please help me understand, especially Dave, since you're in such a similar position, what did you pay?  I put in my bid Friday, haven't heard anything, should I cancel my bid  because it's much more than all these people getting 200 minimum bids?  Thanks!

Your bid is in *addition* to whatever you've already paid.

All bids are based on two people. So, if the bid is $300, then you pay an additional *$600*...it doesn't matter if it is just you, or if there are 3 or 4 people in the cabin. This is for any type of bid, not just YC.

Furthermore, on the Divina you won't have *less* walking you'll have *more*. The YC dining room is on the opposite side of the ship from where Top Sail and the cabins are.

Lastly, not sure if you are getting a disabled cabin - which I don't think you can request through the bid system - but the Divina YC cabins (YC1) have a *bathtub*...so a little hard to get in and out of. Meraviglia and Seaside have showers.

I can't advise if you should cancel your bid or not...only you can do that 😞

1 minute ago, alyssamma said:

Furthermore, on the Divina you won't have *less* walking you'll have *more*. The YC dining room is on the opposite side of the ship from where Top Sail and the cabins are.

So, it would be the $2117.  The YC restaurant isn't in the YC?  Well, that would be a deal breaker right there.  I'm not in a disabled cabin.  I struggle into a regular bathtub at home, figure I can do it on the cruise, as well.  I'm off to look at the deck plans, thanks! 

2 minutes ago, maureencruiser said:

So, it would be the $2117.  The YC restaurant isn't in the YC?  Well, that would be a deal breaker right there.  I'm not in a disabled cabin.  I struggle into a regular bathtub at home, figure I can do it on the cruise, as well.  I'm off to look at the deck plans, thanks! 

Correct and yes, for Divina it's the opposite side of the ship. It's actually quite a hike.

Some people like it while others hate it...but it's a walk for sure.

And the bathtub - to me at least - on the Divina is very deep...it's hard to get in and out of.

9 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

Correct and yes, for Divina it's the opposite side of the ship. It's actually quite a hike.

Some people like it while others hate it...but it's a walk for sure.

And the bathtub - to me at least - on the Divina is very deep...it's hard to get in and out of.

I'm cancelling my bid, now to decide if I'm cancelling the whole cruise or not.  What about the Meraglivia, is that a hike, as well to the restaurant?  Thanks for your help.

10 minutes ago, maureencruiser said:

I'm cancelling my bid, now to decide if I'm cancelling the whole cruise or not.  What about the Meraglivia, is that a hike, as well to the restaurant?  Thanks for your help.

Seaside and Meraviglia have their restaurant in the YC area. Furthermore, they both have showers. For the Meraviglia it is a walk in shower - no door - although too small for a wheelchair.

The restaurant is on deck 18 and Top Sail is on 16 - the pool deck is on 19 (there is no deck 17 - that's the Italian 13). You can get a cabin on 16 or 18 and take an elevator to the other decks.

I would advise 16 therefore no steps to Top Sail where you'll spend most of your time.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, maureencruiser said:

Meraviglia has YC contained in forward part of ship. All cabins are contained within the decks of YC, except the Duplex suites. 
YC Lounge, YC Restaurant and Top Sail pool deck with outdoor light buffet all accessible with elevator. I really love the shower in the Deluxe Suite. Double size . We also have issues with tubs in cabins and that is one reason we love Meraviglia. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, MEDIAGIRL said:

What was your bid?  I got the info for my November trip yesterday.  Prices still look high.

You really have to look at what prices are outright.  Also, if you are voyagers club, many of the upcoming sailings are 5+15% off.  For ours, the min bid vs price was about $100.