Viking to Hawaii?

Clay Clayton

8 minutes ago, albertamom said:

I am VERY interested in your research from a Canadian perspective.  We are currently booked on the Sea TA from Barcelona to San Juan in November, but are extremely tempted to switch to the Grand Hawaii & Polynesia. With rules and Covid conditions changing so quickly worldwide, it's all quite overwhelming.  As an added fun bonus, we are both fully vaccinated, but with AZ/Phizer.  🙃

Well mine won’t necessarily be from a Canadian perspective but initial research for French Polynesia shows that Aztrasenica, Phizer, Moderna, and Jansen (Johnson & Johnson) are accepted. 

Of course the fact that Hawaii is US doesn’t help for those with AZ. 

Also French Poly is currently Level 4-High Risk at the moment. But I suppose that is the case almost everywhere. 

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, albertamom said:

I am VERY interested in your research from a Canadian perspective.  We are currently booked on the Sea TA from Barcelona to San Juan in November, but are extremely tempted to switch to the Grand Hawaii & Polynesia. With rules and Covid conditions changing so quickly worldwide, it's all quite overwhelming.  As an added fun bonus, we are both fully vaccinated, but with AZ/Phizer.  🙃

Hi - more than happy to share my research. I also have data on the S/Pacific Islands from previous cruises, but it doesn't include COVID stuff, just the usual entry requirements for both UK & Canada passports.

Based on a quick high level research last night, I believe the risks of being refused entry into the US, or having to quarantine on arrival, could be fairly high, especially in December, when COVID numbers may be higher.

I also have AZ/Moderna and until the US CDC is accepting of the WHO Standards, those of us with mixed doses will be considered as unvaccinated, even if we present the Govt of Canada's Vaccine Passport showing we are fully vaccinated.

Hawaii is good, requiring a negative PCR test from an approved vendor. I fully expect that the onboard Lab can received approved vendor status, so the ship's daily testing should suffice.

California - I need more research, but last night I found a Public Health document that indicated unvaccinated (as per US CDC) had to quarantine. Couldn't determine if that is still in force, hence more research required.

Pax contract - read it last night, but need to go through it again and take notes translating it into English, as it has changed since our 2020 WC. Based on my quick review, if we were refused entry, or required to quarantine on arrival, we would forfeit the entire cruise cost. Will review the COVID sections in more detail, but the normal expectation is that each pax is responsible to ensure they meet the requirements of entering the country and getting to the ship.

Our travel blog address is in the signature block and it has an email address, if you wish to discuss further, share research.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, albertamom said:

I just canceled my transatlantic, San Juan to Barcelona next March and booked the LA to South Pacific in Jan. Lots of sea days!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveSJ711 said:

If I recall correctly from prior trips to Tahiti, Fiji and Rarotonga, "our" winter is the cloudy/rainy season in that part of the world. So be prepared.

Correct. The same with Hawaii. Rarotonga is a tender port and onetime the tide was too low for the tenders to cross the breaker on a HAL cruise. Attached is the cruise port website explaining that.

https://www.whatsinport.com/Rarotonga.htm

6 hours ago, Squawkman said:

The Viking itinerary as posted now on their website is very different from the one on Expedia. Not as much difference now from Princess.

Actually, the itineraries for Princess and Viking are identical except Viking has one more sea day each way for reasons stated by the experts above. We’re booked for 12/20.

2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Hi - more than happy to share my research. I also have data on the S/Pacific Islands from previous cruises, but it doesn't include COVID stuff, just the usual entry requirements for both UK & Canada passports.

Based on a quick high level research last night, I believe the risks of being refused entry into the US, or having to quarantine on arrival, could be fairly high, especially in December, when COVID numbers may be higher.

I also have AZ/Moderna and until the US CDC is accepting of the WHO Standards, those of us with mixed doses will be considered as unvaccinated, even if we present the Govt of Canada's Vaccine Passport showing we are fully vaccinated.

Hawaii is good, requiring a negative PCR test from an approved vendor. I fully expect that the onboard Lab can received approved vendor status, so the ship's daily testing should suffice.

California - I need more research, but last night I found a Public Health document that indicated unvaccinated (as per US CDC) had to quarantine. Couldn't determine if that is still in force, hence more research required.

Pax contract - read it last night, but need to go through it again and take notes translating it into English, as it has changed since our 2020 WC. Based on my quick review, if we were refused entry, or required to quarantine on arrival, we would forfeit the entire cruise cost. Will review the COVID sections in more detail, but the normal expectation is that each pax is responsible to ensure they meet the requirements of entering the country and getting to the ship.

Our travel blog address is in the signature block and it has an email address, if you wish to discuss further, share research.

Thank you so much for sharing!  I followed your blog intently during your world cruise, and thoroughly appreciate everything that you contribute here.  🙂

I'm maybe naively thinking/hoping that the US will soon accept our mixed vaccinations.  Studies continue to come out showing that AZ followed by an mRNA vaccine produces a very strong immune response.  I saw a tweet today linking to a Lancet article, which is way beyond my capability to understand, but which the doctor providing the link interpreted as very positive news.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Do come back and share what you find about Covid requirements.   I’m gonna do the same and would love to have my findings confirmed. 

I will try--but honestly it is the things you don't think of that can bite you with COVID travel. Things can change rapidly regarding testing and quarantine.

We have Pfizer but by January--will any countries require a booster? What will be going on globally with Delta, or even Lambda?

And trying to figure out the insurance-ugghh.

A lot of levers here.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, broker1217 said:

I will try--but honestly it is the things you don't think of that can bite you with COVID travel. Things can change rapidly regarding testing and quarantine.

We have Pfizer but by January--will any countries require a booster? What will be going on globally with Delta, or even Lambda?

And trying to figure out the insurance-ugghh.

A lot of levers here.

Broker you nailed it.  Changes in COVID requirements are in a state of continual flux.  We are on a Princess cruise to Mexico in late November ( a lot of sea days and we can drive to the ship!, not to mention it was a deal last winter) but when increased Princess requirements came out last week others on that cruise freaked.

I reminded them all that no one can predict what the requirements will be 100 days in the future and there is no reason to get ones panties in a bunch worrying.  If you worry that much you should never leave home......I forget, home is also a dangerous place.  Just ask Homer Simpson, Doh!!!

• Like 5

7 hours ago, albertamom said:

Thank you so much for sharing!  I followed your blog intently during your world cruise, and thoroughly appreciate everything that you contribute here.  🙂

I'm maybe naively thinking/hoping that the US will soon accept our mixed vaccinations.  Studies continue to come out showing that AZ followed by an mRNA vaccine produces a very strong immune response.  I saw a tweet today linking to a Lancet article, which is way beyond my capability to understand, but which the doctor providing the link interpreted as very positive news.

Thanks - interesting coincidence, as we just finished chatting with friends in the US and they mentioned reading the same article today.

Both I and our TA have talked with Viking, who confirm that Viking accept mixed AZ/mRNA vaccines. Have just started checking the US CDC Conditional Sailing Order for vaccine requirements.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Thanks - interesting coincidence, as we just finished chatting with friends in the US and they mentioned reading the same article today.

Both I and our TA have talked with Viking, who confirm that Viking accept mixed AZ/mRNA vaccines. Have just started checking the US CDC Conditional Sailing Order for vaccine requirements.

I emailed tellus yesterday and received a call back also confirming their acceptance of our mixed vaccines.  Step 1✔️

• Like 2

I’d be snapping up the Hawaii/South Pacific cruise in a minute for January if we were retired.  Lots of sea days but what a great time of relaxation and places on our bucket list.  Great price too.  We’d have boosters for covid by then.  

Speaking of boosters my doctor said yesterday that there’s some talk of mixing the vaccines now to help give stronger immunity.  In other words we’ve had 2 Pfizer and maybe we should get a moderna booster.  I’m sure more will come out about that but I thought it was an interesting conversation.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Speaking of boosters my doctor said yesterday that there’s some talk of mixing the vaccines now to help give stronger immunity.  In other words we’ve had 2 Pfizer and maybe we should get a moderna booster.  I’m sure more will come out about that but I thought it was an interesting conversation.  

Great to see that the US is considering the vaccine cocktails, as other countries have completed extensive studies with mixing vaccines. The AZ with a Moderna or Pfizer have shown to have stronger immunity, but unfortunately, the US has not approved AZ.

In Canada, we approved mixed vaccines about 3 months ago and UK and other European countries were about the same time, or even earlier.

I have AZ/Moderna and in Germany, our son received AZ/Pfizer.

Well the research is complete and the risks are manageable, so we confirmed the booking today for Dec 4th. 😀

Sounds like we have  a number of pax from the 22/23 WC, booking this one, so it is almost a precursor to the WC. Lots of sea days, similar to World Cruises.

Edited by Heidi13
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Well the research is complete and the risks are manageable, so we confirmed the booking today for Dec 4th. 😀

Sounds like we have  a number of pax from the 22/23 WC, booking this one, so it is almost a precursor to the WC. Lots of sea days, similar to World Cruises.

I’m so excited for you! 😃

I’m still so tempted by the Hawaii/Polynesia cruise. Throwing in the extra country makes things a little more nerve-wracking.  Once we are in the US, after flying down to begin the cruise, I’m hoping we wouldn’t have trouble re-entering the US at the cruise port at the end of the cruise. I suppose Viking won’t let us board if there is any question of us not being allowed off at the end. 😂

For now, I’m closely watching how it is selling, and biding my time. 

• Like 2

On 8/17/2021 at 9:39 PM, Clay Clayton said:

These cruises are up on Viking’s site finally.  Don’t see anything for Malta to Florida…..

Clay, Susan and Jacques here (Viking Sky Transat). Three days ago, we received a Viking email announcing the 33 days cruise to HI and French Polynesia on the Orion. We reserved right away. I have family in France and keep an eye on the Covid regulations: we have the green light. I assume that it is the same for Tahiti. That cruise is a great deal and if you go, we can put a Trivia team together.😉

Edited by jacquesmm

Correction:

French Polynesia declared yesterday that starting on Monday, all cruises are suspended over all French Polynesia. Read this:

https://mailchi.mp/f4f431642587/communiqu-press-trade-release-renforcement-des-restrictions-tahiti-et-ses-les-3095342?e=f8000c9c00

It's in French but clear. 

I am not to pessimistic about my reservation: it's in January, things can and will change.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jacquesmm said:

Clay, Susan and Jacques here (Viking Sky Transat). Three days ago, we received a Viking email announcing the 33 days cruise to HI and French Polynesia on the Orion. We reserved right away. I have family in France and keep an eye on the Covid regulations: we have the green light. I assume that it is the same for Tahiti. That cruise is a great deal and if you go, we can put a Trivia team together.😉

Hi!

We definitely have it on our radar but have decided to roll the dice and hope that the less expensive cabins don’t sell out or that they don’t raise the prices. We aren’t comfortable with Viking holding more of our money than they currently are this far out.  Given how quickly Delta changed our view of the progress being made in returning to a more normal life, we are worried things could get worse and this cruise get canceled.  

So if we go, definitely hope to be on your trivia team. Mike and I actually won on the last day of the Iceland cruise!  

5 hours ago, jacquesmm said:

39 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Hi!

We definitely have it on our radar but have decided to roll the dice and hope that the less expensive cabins don’t sell out or that they don’t raise the prices. We aren’t comfortable with Viking holding more of our money than they currently are this far out.  Given how quickly Delta changed our view of the progress being made in returning to a more normal life, we are worried things could get worse and this cruise get canceled.  

So if we go, definitely hope to be on your trivia team. Mike and I actually won on the last day of the Iceland cruise!  

Barb here from that same trivia team...I'm also looking at this cruise (or the Hawaii one) as a retirement gift to myself since I'm very close to pulling the plug and retiring.  Just waiting for a couple more ducks to line up and I'll put in my notice and be able to plan a cruise.  I'd be happy to be back on the trivia team too!

For some reason the idea of a cruise that starts and ends in the US feels more comfortable to me these days than one where I need to fly overseas.  Not sure why.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Hi!

Clay - I hope you and Mike go!

Pam and I booked this Polynesia cruise.  Such a deal!   Would be great to finally meet you both.  Have always enjoyed your posts and great insights.  

If for some reason it doesn't go, no worries.  Go with the flow.  For that reason we are not committing to a high level cabin however.  Plan to spend lots of time on deck and at the various lounges, pools, etc. during sea days.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bottomfeeder said:

Barb here from that same trivia team...I'm also looking at this cruise (or the Hawaii one) as a retirement gift to myself since I'm very close to pulling the plug and retiring.  Just waiting for a couple more ducks to line up and I'll put in my notice and be able to plan a cruise.  I'd be happy to be back on the trivia team too!

For some reason the idea of a cruise that starts and ends in the US feels more comfortable to me these days than one where I need to fly overseas.  Not sure why.

Well wouldn’t that be fun! We hope it works out for us to cruise to Hawaii and Polynesia but we won’t book until later in the fall. We would only do the Dec 20 Hawaii cruise if Mike’s Mom decided to go and I doubt she would do so. 

stay in touch (And retire!)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Clay - I hope you and Mike go!

Pam and I booked this Polynesia cruise.  Such a deal!   Would be great to finally meet you both.  Have always enjoyed your posts and great insights.  

If for some reason it doesn't go, no worries.  Go with the flow.  For that reason we are not committing to a high level cabin however.  Plan to spend lots of time on deck and at the various lounges, pools, etc. during sea days.....

Agree with you about no worries except we really don’t want to tie up $10,000+ So we will wait a while.