Oceania Land Programs

Rummblestrip

I have been trying to sort through all the reviews for information about Oceania land programs. I have found a few talking about them, but not too much detail. I am looking at a pre cruise trip to Taj Mahal. It is a 4 day program that starts in Delhi and ends in Mumbai. Has anyone here do this same trip?

I have a few general questions as well...

Is Oceania good at land programs? (I read some negative things about shore excursions) 

Do you need pay in full when making the reservation?

Will Oceania cancel if there are too few people? (It seems like there will not be many embarking in Mumbai) 

At the cost of $1700pp, the peace of mind getting to ship, ect would be worth the premium that I could book independently, your thoughts? 

Here is a link to the details of the land program...

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/asia-cruises/mumbai-to-bangkok-NAU230205/hotels/?sr=%2fcruise-finder%23time_frame%3d2023-2%26sort%3dfeatured%3adesc%26page%3d1%26pageSize%3d10

Looking forward to hearing others experiences. 

We have not done the Taj Mahal Land Program, but to answer your other questions, my experience with O’s Land Programs is that they are very, very good.

We did a pre-cruise from Singapore to Angor Wat in 2018.  The hotel and food in Siem Reap, Cambodia, were as good as could be expected in the region.  The tour operator was exceptional.  My wife had some problems with the heat, and they took extra care with her.  The hotel in Singapore, The Regent Singapore, was “upper mid-range”.

We also did a post-cruise Land Program on the same sailing, into China for Beijing’s Forbidden City, the Terra Cotta Warriors in Xian, and the Great Wall.  Again, the tour operator was exceptional.  In this instance, the hotels and food were of highest quality.

We also did a pre-cruise from Buenos Aires to Iguazu Falls in 2020.  The tour experience was outstanding.  The hotel in BA was “upper mid-range”, while the resort hotel and food in Iguazu Falls were very nice.

We have received great value (and peace-of-mind) from every O Land Program.  They have provided incredible memories.  The only downside that I can remember…on EACH of the flight segments for every Land Program, I always had a middle seat assignment, with no opportunity to make a change.  As a multi-million miler frequent flyer, this was “tough” to take…

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

When I was charting/planning our South American cruise during December 2019, by the time it came to the post cruise, I was out of gas.  I looked at the Oceania post cruise Valpo - Santiago and they were covering just about everything we wanted to do... so I closed my eyes and booked it.

Simply put, it was fabulous.  From the hotels to the tours/activities to the transportation to the organization - we were thrilled with the product.  Based on that one experience, I have no qualms in booking a future pre/post O land  program.

• Like 3

We did Oceania land tour to Taj Mahal which also included a visit to Jaipur. Normally, we’re trying to avoid big bus group tours, but with a limited time in India it was the best option. If I remember correctly we paid for the tour with our final payment, but you better check it with Oceania customer service.

We were so glad we booked that tour. We arrived a couple of days prior to the tour and explored a little bit of Delhi on our own. The Oceania land program was inclusive of mostly everything we wanted to see on the short trip. The tour operator did an excellent job. We felt safe and very well taken care of. All hotels ranged from very good to excellent, and the food was of a good quality for what you can expect from the region.

Oceania land tour was so interesting that after we returned we have arranged another extended tour of India. Unfortunately, it was canceled by COVID, but we’re looking forward to returning to India with a land tour when it’s possible.

• Like 1

We did the Delhi to Mumbai tour.  It took all the stress out of planning and we saw everything important.  The accommodations and food were fine. While there are less expensive options if you plan on your own, in some parts of the world it makes sense to have the cruise line responsible.

When we did it, it was a big group (maybe 200 total).  They divided us between hotels, did not overcrowd the buses, and timed the various groups so we were not descending  on places en mass.  We were happy with their attention to all the details.

• Like 2

We are HUGE fans of O's overlands.  The hotels chosen are part of the adventure. 

Cocktails on the roof of the hotel in Delhi, swinging bridges to cross on our way to room at Iguazu Falls, and  Phinda Lodge with own dip pool to 'recover' from a safari, Beijing hotel that overlooked the Forbidden City....just a few examples.    (and you know the food is ok for our tummies)

Guides are excellent, drivers are professional, and we know that the ship will ALWAYS wait for us.  No worries about really anything.  I highly recommend the Overlands. 

• Like 3

We took the 4 day post to Machu Pichu a few years ago. They offered 2 different tours at different prices. We took the more expensive and it was truly worth the price. 

In 2018 we took the overnight to Bagan from Yangon the best. First Class all the way.

• Like 1

ATW16 we signed up for 5: Beijing & Xian, Taj Mahal, Angkor Wat, Safari, Began.  As has been stated--1st class all the way.  Nothing to worry about at the airport--we identified our luggage and nice people took care of it for us. 

ATW20 we signed up for Iguazu Falls and Machu Pichu.  There were others but covid reared its very ugly head and we left ship and Rio very quickly.  Hoping that ATW22 and 23 sail.....we shall see.  We do have Overlands reserved for those as well.

Also investigate the pre-cruise and post cruise excursions offered which are like Overlands.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the great responses. After talking to my agent, we went ahead and booked the Taj Mahal (India's Crown Jewel) land program.

Two of my questions were answered very quickly.  First, just need to pay by final payment. Second, the size of the group. 2 had already booked and 8 spots remained. I think it will be extra special with a small group of 10 or less. 

This will be our first time to visit India. With all the variables that there seems to be in India, this program offers a great value. The peace of mind will be priceless. 

One thing that I thought was interesting (concerning at first glance) was the hotels included in the package. An Aloft and a Courtyard (both Marriott). I was expecting a higher level of hotel to be included. But after reviewing the hotels, I think that both of them exceed their counterparts in the US. Both of them are rated 5 stars by Marriott. I have been a loyal customer of Marriott for 20+ years and this will be the my first stay at a Courtyard with a full spa. 

Please keep posting your experiences with Oceania's land programs. I think this will be a very good thread to help others make an informed decision. 

• Like 2

We did the Delhi to Mumbai land tour as a post cruise four years ago.  We have done several O pre and post land tours.  All have been exceptional.  We stayed at the Courtyard/ Marriott at the Taj Mahal and in Delhi.  The hotels were very nice.  We did not have any worries about the cleanliness of the food or the hotels.  All tours were excellent.  You will have the opportunity to visit the Taj Mahal at sunrise and sunset.  India is a challenge.  You will have peace of mind since everything is taken care of.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GICNJC said:

Any one experience with European pre or post?

Most O cruisers are well traveled.  And are comfortable traveling independently in Europe.  We can configure accommodations to our needs. New travelers aren’t on this site.  The O tours are useful when and where one isn’t comfortable independently. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sitraveler said:

Most O cruisers are well traveled.  And are comfortable traveling independently in Europe.  We can configure accommodations to our needs. New travelers aren’t on this site.  The O tours are useful when and where one isn’t comfortable independently. 

I am sorry, but I have to disagree. Many new travelers are on this site. My friends, that have never been out of the state they live in, are on this site doing research on the cruise I convinced them to take. I like to think that I am well traveled. For the last 20+ years, I have been in a hotel room or on a cruise ship for 300+ days a year. And I have yet to travel to or explore Europe. Traveled extensively in North/South/Central Americas, Australia, New Zealand, most of Asia....just no interest in most of Europe at this time. I would like to think that people that are loyal customers of Oceania would encourage people to use the land programs they offer. It seems that a lot people choose a cruise so they do not have to plan and travel independently. 

• Like 7

We have taken independent overlands while on an Oceania cruise:   India  (Agra, Jaipur, Mumbai), Australia (Alice Springs/Ayers Rock), China (Xian, Beijing), China (Guilin/Li River),and a Safari (Shamwari).    Except for the safari,  we used local travel agencies that provided a service similar to Oceania (and not the prices).   I have no complaints about our private experiences.   I also have never heard of complaints from those who booked the Oceania overlands.  We happen to enjoy smaller groups. 

I consider myself a loyal Oceania customer -- just have a different experience.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Perhaps it would help to know that O often divides up their Overland groups into smaller groups with their own guide upon reaching the destination.   There have been very few 'big bus' overlands in our experience.

Rarely were we 'herded' on our adventures.  Put into a bus, a plane, a train--yes, but upon arrival at Machu Pichu, the Great Wall, or Iguazu Falls we were 'turned loose' and told when to report back to a predetermined location.  Total freedom then to do as much or as little as we wished at the site. 

And O will ascertain the interest in an Overland and, if possible, create more small groups.  For instance on ATW23 there are now 3 groups for the Galapagos. 

I too, recommend this site for new travelers.  How else are they to learn --if not from others.  (sorry, old teacher here)

Edited by cbb
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, sitraveler said:

New travelers aren’t on this site.

I am going to respectfully disagree.  There are new travelers who find Cruise Critic every day.  And truthfully we were all new cruisers at some point in time.  There were and are many CC contributors whose insight has been kind and helpful.  ( RIP Don Horner & Stan)  And I have never understood those who are quick to take the time to post "Use the search feature" thus telling us that they are not going to answer the posted question.  Besides, I find the CC search practically useless.  It is not intuitive and can take you down trails that are years old.

Most of us posting here have pre-March 2020 Oceania sailing experience.  Almost everything posted prior to the pandemic are historical musings.  As of today, NONE of us have any Oceania experience.  Going forward we will all become "new travelers" as we begin to research the new protocols, modified onboard experiences, flexible itineraries, etc. of cruising not only Oceania, but all cruise lines in general.  Many of us will lean heavily on those who sail first and are kind enough to post here and help us adjust our expectations.  We are all starting over.  Some not happily, some with flexible anticipation.  The pool of "new travelers" just got a whole lot bigger!

Katie

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

My first trip to Europe almost 50 yrs ago was on my honeymoon and it was also my first trip out of the country.  We had a great 12 day trip seeing as many different places as we could but I was overwhelmed.  Use O overland for those Europe trips and enjoy yourself with less stress.  It is all good.

• Like 2

Hello, Rumblestrip and others!  We, too, are on the Mumbai cruise in Feb. ‘23 and have never done an O pre or post cruise, so I was very interested to read all the replies. I agree with others who said we have a mix of both seasoned and new folks. And, I particularly agree with KatieBelle. It is a whole new travel world post-Covid (I remain optimistic that we will be post-Covid). Are the tour operators from two years ago still in business? Or the hotels? Or? Or? Or? That being said, when we have traveled to Europe and Australia, both by land and sea, we have done all our own bookings with good, maybe even great success. India is a whole new ballgame for us, and given that and the amount of my time to do the planning, we have elected to let O take the load off and just let us enjoy. The positive reviews reinforced our decision. 

Looking forward to meeting you Rumblestrip! Maybe we’ll be in the same group. 🙂

Jane and Ed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SophieM said:

Hello, Rumblestrip and others!  We, too, are on the Mumbai cruise in Feb. ‘23 and have never done an O pre or post cruise, so I was very interested to read all the replies. I agree with others who said we have a mix of both seasoned and new folks. And, I particularly agree with KatieBelle. It is a whole new travel world post-Covid (I remain optimistic that we will be post-Covid). Are the tour operators from two years ago still in business? Or the hotels? Or? Or? Or? That being said, when we have traveled to Europe and Australia, both by land and sea, we have done all our own bookings with good, maybe even great success. India is a whole new ballgame for us, and given that and the amount of my time to do the planning, we have elected to let O take the load off and just let us enjoy. The positive reviews reinforced our decision. 

Looking forward to meeting you Rumblestrip! Maybe we’ll be in the same group. 🙂

Jane and Ed. 

Jane and Ed, 

Look forward to meeting you as well. 

An update on something previously posted...

The Oceania representative had mistakenly booked us for the overland trip to the Taj Mahal. Our agent noticed the cost difference and flagged him that there was a mistake. So, the overland has 10 tatal spots for the program. 2 of those spots are currently booked. For the Pre Cruise Taj Mahal trip, there are 30 spots available. It is a larger group but nothing that would give us worry about too many people. At the time they said 29 spots were available. 

CBB mentioned the cocktails on the rooftop in Delhi, If by chance we meet up there, the first round is on us...Cheers!

We have done numerous overlands on several cruise lines plus booked our own.

We tend to be more conservative with those overland that have flights that if delayed would cause a missed ship.  O will not wait or be in a mood for any compensation.  We learnt that on a Shamwari (South Africa) private overland -- had to catch up to the ship at Durban

3rd world countries -- India where nothing runs on time.   Myanmar where the port arrival may be +/- several hours or even a day where you could miss your flight to Bagan.  Definitely op for the Oceania overland.

We did Machu Picchu with Celebrity.   Turns out we were the only couple booking the extension.   Cancelled no --- it was a great private tour.  So risk of cancellation is low even with small group.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2021 at 7:59 AM, KatieBelle said:

Most of us posting here have pre-March 2020 Oceania sailing experience.  Almost everything posted prior to the pandemic are historical musings.  As of today, NONE of us have any Oceania experience.  Going forward we will all become "new travelers" as we begin to research the new protocols, modified onboard experiences, flexible itineraries, etc. of cruising not only Oceania, but all cruise lines in general.  Many of us will lean heavily on those who sail first and are kind enough to post here and help us adjust our expectations.  We are all starting over.  Some not happily, some with flexible anticipation.  The pool of "new travelers" just got a whole lot bigger!

I completely agree!  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2021 at 3:41 PM, SophieM said:

Rumblestrip, it will be hard for me to think of you by any other name when we meet on the rooftop in Delhi. We'll get the second round!

J & E

Jane and Ed,

Not sure how you booked, but I was just able to add a "distinctive voyage" promo to my sailing. It is a nice perk, includes special meet up, an on board rep, and the shore perk is a car and driver for 4 hours on the 15th in Singapore. You should reach out to your agent to see it that is something they can add. 

Rummblestrip!