Included "Soda Package" for Kids

SoDonewithitAll

I have been reading everything I can about the "Soda Package" that is given to under-21's when getting the Free Drinks package. My kids don't drink any soda (weirdos, I know), so what other options are available for them? Is there lemonade or juice that is included somewhere? What one really wants is milk - is that included anywhere? I know we can purchase these things, but I'm looking for options included in the plan. This is our first NCL cruise - yay for 100% vaccinations! If there aren't a lot of options for juices/lemonade/milk, I will pre-purchase water for them. Thanks in advance for the advice!

Are you looking to book under the current promo?

Premium Beverage Package (Open Bar)
Premium Beverage Package is applicable to all qualified sailings excluding Pride of America.

Applicable to guests 1-8 on the reservation. If 3-8 guest is under 21 years of age, Premium Beverage package does not apply and soda package will not be given as a substitution.

Guest 1-2 must be at least 21 years of age at time of sailing to qualify for the Premium Beverage Package. Guests under 21 will receive the soda package.

• Thanks 1

In the pre-Covid traditional buffet, NCL offers free milk (usually single-serve cartons of 2%, whole, and/or skim (but that varies with supply and demand)).  Sometimes chocolate.  They also have free dispensers that offer a flavored water of sorts (usually mango, peach, strawberry, or similar) plus lemonade.  During the breakfast hours, those same dispensers offer an orange juice from concentrate type stuff.  It's not bad.  Orange juice goes away after breakfast.  I believe most ships offer fresh-squeezed orange juice for an added fee.  Water from a dispenser is always available.  Ice Tea is always available.

I don't usually order a beverage in the various restaurants, but I think the staff can get you any of these drinks in those restaurants for free.

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Are you looking to book under the current promo?

Premium Beverage Package (Open Bar)
Premium Beverage Package is applicable to all qualified sailings excluding Pride of America.

Applicable to guests 1-8 on the reservation. If 3-8 guest is under 21 years of age, Premium Beverage package does not apply and soda package will not be given as a substitution.

Guest 1-2 must be at least 21 years of age at time of sailing to qualify for the Premium Beverage Package. Guests under 21 will receive the soda package.

Yes - because we did two rooms, the kids will get the soda package. Doesn't seem to matter much though since they don't drink any soda. Does anyone know if you can order virgin cocktails (Virgin Pina Colada or Daquiri) using the soda plan?

10 minutes ago, SoDonewithitAll said:

Does anyone know if you can order virgin cocktails (Virgin Pina Colada or Daquiri) using the soda plan?

Those are not included in the soda package however they are included in the adult drink package (wink, wink).

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

Those are not included in the soda package however they are included in the adult drink package (wink, wink).

They aren't officially included but my kids have ordered virgin daiquiris and virgin margaritas on their own.

Now, the kids are more interested in Starbucks. That's a whole 'nother issue to deal with....😋

• Haha 1

The "open bar" thing confuses more more than anything else and I'm sorry if I am repeating a question (we dont usually cruise with NCL). We have a 2BR booked for Oct. Husband and I aren't big drinkers but since it's included we will probably have a few drinks. Our kids are reservation 3&4 (ages 20 & 17) and if I read this correctly, they have no "open bar" benefits? They wont be offered a soda package since they are reservation 3& 4? Will they be limited to milk, tea and lemonaid unless we pay extra? 

Edit to clarify....I'm not asking if they can get alcohol, that is not something they are even interested in. My 17 yo likes soda and virgin drinks though. 

Edited by Magandsons
clairification

14 hours ago, Magandsons said:

The "open bar" thing confuses more more than anything else and I'm sorry if I am repeating a question (we dont usually cruise with NCL). We have a 2BR booked for Oct. Husband and I aren't big drinkers but since it's included we will probably have a few drinks. Our kids are reservation 3&4 (ages 20 & 17) and if I read this correctly, they have no "open bar" benefits? They wont be offered a soda package since they are reservation 3& 4? Will they be limited to milk, tea and lemonaid unless we pay extra? 

Edit to clarify....I'm not asking if they can get alcohol, that is not something they are even interested in. My 17 yo likes soda and virgin drinks though. 

Look at your reservation. If there is a $15+ beverage service fee listed, they have the soda package included.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Magandsons said:

The drink package is included for a fee - you pay the gratuities which may be higher than if you just paid for a few drinks.  You can opt out.  

You can get cans of soda if your kids want it - it's in the mini bar or you can usually get it at the buffet.  Runs between $3-$4 with the gratuity.

Edited by julig22

On 8/25/2021 at 2:40 PM, julig22 said:

The drink package is included for a fee - you pay the gratuities which may be higher than if you just paid for a few drinks.  You can opt out.  

You can get cans of soda if your kids want it - it's in the mini bar or you can usually get it at the buffet.  Runs between $3-$4 with the gratuity.

It's not part of the Free at Sea? We received all 5 with the 2 BR reservation, the first being "open bar". I guess thats why I'm confused, I still have to buy a drink package even with "Open Bar Free at Sea"?

9 minutes ago, Magandsons said:

It's not part of the Free at Sea? We received all 5 with the 2 BR reservation, the first being "open bar". I guess thats why I'm confused, I still have to buy a drink package even with "Open Bar Free at Sea"?

Assuming you are in the US, unless you booked during a " free gratuities " promo, you get the drinks (and specialty meals) for free but you pay a 15% gratuity on the value of the "freebies"

You would have to look at your invoice for a breakdown.  You can opt out if the fees are more than the cost than a couple of drinks and just pay for what you actually drink.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Assuming you are in the US, unless you booked during a " free gratuities " promo, you get the drinks (and specialty meals) for free but you pay a 15% gratuity on the value of the "freebies"

You would have to look at your invoice for a breakdown.  You can opt out if the fees are more than the cost than a couple of drinks and just pay for what you actually drink.

Minor correction, it is 20%.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Magandsons said:

. I guess thats why I'm confused, I still have to buy a drink package even with "Open Bar Free at Sea"?

When guests 3-8 are under 21, they don't get. If they are 21 or older, they would get the same drink package as guests 1&2 who are 21 or older (and pay the 20% service charge). If 1 or 2 is under 21, they would get the soda package/soda program with a reduced service charge.

In your case, let the 20/17 year-old order drinks a la carte or get the soda program. You would know how much/little they would normally drink to determine if the package is the better deal.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
6 hours ago, nnn said:

Is there a rationale for guests 3 & 4 getting free booze if 21+ but zilch of anything if under 21?

If guests 3&4 are over 21 and get FAS, they would be charged the service fee of about $20 per person per day ($19.80pppd now or $21.80pppd after Jan. 1st).

If guests 3&4 are under 21, they don't get charged the FAS service charge but NCL hopes that someone will buy the soda package for them and pay about $10 pppd plus 20% (11.94pppd). An alternative is to pay over $4 for a can of soda.

Also, nothing is actually free. It's paid for in one way or another.

6 hours ago, nnn said:

Is there a rationale for guests 3 & 4 getting free booze if 21+ but zilch of anything if under 21?

My 19 and 20 year olds were 2nd guests in our two cabins. Since they were under 21 they got the soda package, just had to pay gratuities.

29 minutes ago, Mom2kmo said:

Can you opt for the Starbucks package for the under 21 passenger instead of the soda package?   My kids live in SB but do not drink any soda.  

You would need to pay for the STARBUCKS package! Or, purchase Starbucks drinks individually.