Sushi on 5 - Menu

oh2cruise

We have enjoyed Sushi on 5 on many cruises.  I do remember that at one time you were given $30 each and we never went over our $60 limit. I have booked on Apex and Edge specialty dining for Raw on Five but there was no fee - just "a la carte" which I assume means you pay for what you order.  We ate in Raw on Five on the Edge a couple of years ago and I do remember it had a quite different menu than Sushi on Five on Summit. 

No matter what it is called we will try it again for sure.  

Recall especially at lunch that it was not busy.

Also we were always offered a 20% on future visits during the cruise and this happened on several cruises.  

We ate at Raw on 5 during our July 10th EDGE cruise and unfortunately, came away not only unimpressed but sick. The lobster and shrimp in the seafood tower were translucent. Living in the deep south our entire lives we realized that both were not good and only ate one bite of each.  Both seafoods obviously were not fresh and had been frozen and then cooked.  After each taking one bite we woke up during the night with stomach issues that passed within six hours.

During our August 14th APEX we decided to stay clear of the restaurant based upon the EDGE experience.

Edited by Lane412000
spelling error

I’m far from an expert on Sushi and Sashimi…I just know what I like. You may need a magnifying glass to make the scallops and shrimp look larger in the “Dynamite” but it is really good. As mentioned earlier, the Shrimp Tempura is very good as well.

Depending on drink preferences, you can wash all of this down with a crisp tasting beer or a Spicy Mango Tini.

Randy

You may view the menu selections for each restaurant by going into dining site for your ship and they give examples.  Different in ways but similar also.  I found Raw on 5 to be a bit more complex.  Their drink selection is as well.  I preferred Sushi on 5 but we ate at Raw on 5 on Edge late in the evening and it was very busy.  I believe you can find something you will like on either.

I debarked a UK staycation cruise a few days ago on Silhouette. Ate at Sushi on 5 twice.

Lobster ramen - I counted 3 popcorn sized pieces of lobster tail. BUT, the broth was superb with lots of flavour and the noodles good.

Tonkotsu ramen - delicious, tasty pork, broth and noodles. However, it is not a proper tonkotsu ramen broth which is a thick fatty broth made from 12-16 hours cooking pork bones. But it still tasted good.

Ginger chicken gyoza - juicy and tasty.

Shrimp tempura roll was good and classic tuna rolls.

Sashimi and sushi (nigiri) all good, not great, but fresh and tasty and no complaints. I should know not to order omakase as the chef (wherever you go) always includes octopus and it’s my least favourite seafood. But I’ll eat it if served!

Very enjoyable and underused.

30 minutes ago, Bretty said:

I debarked a UK staycation cruise a few days ago on Silhouette. Ate at Sushi on 5 twice.

Lobster ramen - I counted 3 popcorn sized pieces of lobster tail. BUT, the broth was superb with lots of flavour and the noodles good.

Tonkotsu ramen - delicious, tasty pork, broth and noodles. However, it is not a proper tonkotsu ramen broth which is a thick fatty broth made from 12-16 hours cooking pork bones. But it still tasted good.

Ginger chicken gyoza - juicy and tasty.

Shrimp tempura roll was good and classic tuna rolls.

Sashimi and sushi (nigiri) all good, not great, but fresh and tasty and no complaints. I should know not to order omakase as the chef (wherever you go) always includes octopus and it’s my least favourite seafood. But I’ll eat it if served!

Very enjoyable and underused.

Thanks for excellent review. 

• Like 1

On 8/23/2021 at 5:00 PM, Schmoe38 said:

When you attend Sushi on 5 as part of a purchased dining package, I believe you receive a $35 credit on your bill that is applied to the value of the food items chosen from the menu. If you have a beverage package, your drinks would be applied against that package and would not eat into your credit (depending, of course on the type of beverage package you have).

Randy

Then if you do not eat $35 worth can you  apply the remaining dollars to the next time  you eat there?

I’ve never attended Sushi on 5 as part of a dining package purchase, but I suspect the way it works is the $35 (or whatever the dollar amount is today) is the maximum that is credited to your bill, so if you eat more than the allotted credit, you pay the difference. If you eat less than the allotted credit, then that’s the way the “cookie crumbles.” I don’t believe there is any carry over for another time.

Randy

10 minutes ago, peanut head said:

We have eaten at Sushi on 5 multiple times, staying in a RS, and were never charged regardless of the amount we ordered, and I can safely say we ordered well over allotted amount to eat in a Specialty Restaurant.

I know the higher suites don’t have the same dollar amount constraints. I was just responding to a question concerning Sushi on 5 as part of a Specialty Restaurant Dining Package.

Randy

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, peanut head said:

We have eaten at Sushi on 5 multiple times, staying in a RS, and were never charged regardless of the amount we ordered, and I can safely say we ordered well over allotted amount to eat in a Specialty Restaurant.

Only makes sense as you could get up, turn around and come back as many times as you want for $0.  I expect my sashimi quota to exceed $35, but like you, do not expect a bill at the end.

When we were on Edge in November 2019, we stayed in an Edge Villa. We ate lunch one day in Raw on 5. 

One of our fellow cruisers was enjoying, at a separate table, a complimentary lunch that same day. Part of their meal involved a Seafood Imperial Tower that was on the menu for $75. I kinda think it may have been the appetizer, because other dishes were served as well. It was a long lunch!

Part of me was jealous that I don’t have the same appetite I used to have, but reality says I may have to stick to the Seafood Tower served at the Porch on the S Class ships. 

Randy

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/25/2021 at 8:50 AM, Schmoe38 said:

I’m far from an expert on Sushi and Sashimi…I just know what I like. You may need a magnifying glass to make the scallops and shrimp look larger in the “Dynamite” but it is really good. As mentioned earlier, the Shrimp Tempura is very good as well.

Depending on drink preferences, you can wash all of this down with a crisp tasting beer or a Spicy Mango Tini.

Randy

Is this 'Dynamite" dish really spicy?

• 2 years later...
On 8/25/2021 at 6:29 AM, Lane412000 said:

We ate at Raw on 5 during our July 10th EDGE cruise and unfortunately, came away not only unimpressed but sick. The lobster and shrimp in the seafood tower were translucent. Living in the deep south our entire lives we realized that both were not good and only ate one bite of each.  Both seafoods obviously were not fresh and had been frozen and then cooked.  After each taking one bite we woke up during the night with stomach issues that passed within six hours.

During our August 14th APEX we decided to stay clear of the restaurant based upon the EDGE experience.

I see no seafod tower at Sushi on Five from the menu I see.  Are you referring to the Porch which seems to have the seafood tower?

Menu that you see online and app are pretty accurate.

I think it depends on what fish is available.

I have seen the ramen change, sometimes there is no Tonkatsu ramen.