Upsell offer worth the risk?

7Trainguy1951

I received an upsell offer this morning for our October 9 cruise on the Majestic.  We originally booked a guarantee balcony (category BF) and had not received a stateroom allocation yet.  The offer was to upgrade to a mini-suite for $199 USD per person.  The offer said to send an email to the address they provided instead of providing a phone number like they used to.  I replied accepting the upsell offer and said I would prefer if they could call back so I could choose the stateroom.  Instead they replied (very quickly) with the assigned stateroom, which was a midship mini-suite on the Caribe deck (category MA).  I looked at the deck plan and available staterooms through a mock booking and decided it would be nice to try one of the extended angled balconies.  So I did a "Live Chat" through the website and the person was able to make the change for me!  Very quick and easy.  I originally called but then thought I'd be on hold forever.  So try the chat option if you need something taken care of quickly!

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, United_11 said:

I looked at the deck plan and available staterooms through a mock booking and decided it would be nice to try one of the extended angled balconies.  So I did a "Live Chat" through the website and the person was able to make the change for me!  Very quick and easy.  I originally called but then thought I'd be on hold forever.  So try the chat option if you need something taken care of quickly!

I just tried Live Chat this morning for a small issue and glad I did. Tried calling Princess yesterday and today and after long holds with no mention of how long the wait would be, decided to try Live Chat.

Wow! Asked my question, got the problem solved and it took maybe 5 minutes.

• Like 3

On 8/26/2021 at 2:19 PM, JF - retired RRT said:

I just tried Live Chat this morning for a small issue and glad I did. Tried calling Princess yesterday and today and after long holds with no mention of how long the wait would be, decided to try Live Chat.

I’ve never heard of the Live Chat. How does that work?

Tom🤔

• Like 1

On 8/25/2021 at 2:20 PM, JF - retired RRT said:

Used to see it in the blue band at the top of Princess.com. I just looked and it's not there. A casualty of Covid or just none to show right now?? Only time will tell.

On 8/25/2021 at 2:47 PM, Tedferg said:

Ah, we currently could respond to a Drop & Go, so was interested. Had not noticed it previously.

It is at the top, but you click on Cruise Deals first and then Drip N Go is a section on that page.

I am currently on the Majestic. Aug 22nd sailing.

We are Platinum members. We booked just the balcony cabins. On other Princess ships the balconies seem larger than these. We got two upset offers. First $199pp to upgrade to mini suite. Then about a week later $119pp to mini suite. We didn't take either offer. We got on ship and asked about upgrading and they said no "free" upgrades. 

If I would have know then how small the standard balconies were, I would have upgraded. By the time on ship there weren't any mini's that I wanted. It's all about location for us.

So my advice would be..do the upgrade to mini if location is good.

On 8/26/2021 at 2:19 PM, JF - retired RRT said:

Live Chat is good for generic questions, sometimes.  Avoid Fiona.  She doesn't always have the right answers.  Fiona first told me that I could purchase MedallionNet on Live Chat.  When I got her again today, she was half correct.  Yes, she booked my MedallionNet....BUT...I would have to call Princess to pay for it.  Luckily, the wait time wasn't too long and I connected with a very pleasant representative who was so happy to take my credit card information and work with me.  I have never seen a page on Princess where I can make payments.  Could it be because I work with a travel agent?

6 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Live Chat is good for generic questions, sometimes.  Avoid Fiona.  She doesn't always have the right answers.  Fiona first told me that I could purchase MedallionNet on Live Chat.  When I got her again today, she was half correct.  Yes, she booked my MedallionNet....BUT...I would have to call Princess to pay for it.  Luckily, the wait time wasn't too long and I connected with a very pleasant representative who was so happy to take my credit card information and work with me.  I have never seen a page on Princess where I can make payments.  Could it be because I work with a travel agent?

Things you can order via Cruise Personalizer can be paid for directly online.  Even if you booked with a TA.  TA's really only need to deal with cabin and cruise fare.  Princess removed MedallionNet ordering from the Personalizer because they plan to add it to MC App.  I imagine no organizations take credit cards over a chat feature.

7 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Nope. Never noticed a payment section, with the exception of paying for excursions and booking a cruise.

Of course, I generally switch to a TA after I've completed the booking.

5 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Things you can order via Cruise Personalizer can be paid for directly online.  Even if you booked with a TA.  TA's really only need to deal with cabin and cruise fare.  Princess removed MedallionNet ordering from the Personalizer because they plan to add it to MC App.  I imagine no organizations take credit cards over a chat feature.

Good to know, but where do you find this feature.  I just logged on to my personalizer.  I can see that I can order things like SPA, Excursions, beverage packages, etc.  Would it be located under this service?  I can't see anything out of the ordinary.  Is it because I don't have a "balance"?  

How hard is it for them to add MedallionNet to the app?   Oops....silly question.

On 8/24/2021 at 5:30 PM, Sea Hag said:

We got an offer like that recently for our 8/29 cruise. It was standard balcony to mini, but there wasn't an opportunity to call and ask what cabin. It said to reply to the email, and our card on file would be charged. I looked at what was showing available on the website and saw several minis that I wouldn't have liked as well as the standard balcony, so I let this upsell go by. I probably could have gotten moved to a mini that was acceptable, but it just seemed like more hassle than it was worth.

We had an up sell offer for Alaska on the Majestic Princess. I went into Princess.com and saw exactly which cabins were available, and replied to the email from Princess with a list of a couple that were acceptable. I told them if they could move us to one of them, we would take the upgrade; otherwise, we wouldn’t. We had a reply within 30 minutes notifying us that we had one of those cabins. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Good to know, but where do you find this feature.  I just logged on to my personalizer.  I can see that I can order things like SPA, Excursions, beverage packages, etc.  Would it be located under this service?  I can't see anything out of the ordinary.  Is it because I don't have a "balance"?  

How hard is it for them to add MedallionNet to the app?   Oops....silly question.

Not sure what you are asking as you appear to have found the things you can order and pay for in advance.  Another is the Crew Incentive (if not on the PLUS) package.  I have done this before, but if plenty of OBC, I like to let that chew up OBC on board.

IDK how hard to add to the MC App.  Suffice to say, they still have other issues to deal with there.

9 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

We had an up sell offer for Alaska on the Majestic Princess. I went into Princess.com and saw exactly which cabins were available, and replied to the email from Princess with a list of a couple that were acceptable. I told them if they could move us to one of them, we would take the upgrade; otherwise, we wouldn’t. We had a reply within 30 minutes notifying us that we had one of those cabins. 

I'll try that next time!