No disposable gloves on Miracle

navysafe

Just got back from an Alaskan cruise on Carnival (August 24, 2021).  Everyone did wear masks.  What I found very odd is that no disposable gloves were provided for the buffet lines and using the utensils.  Everyone used the same utensil to serve themselves.  I just thought that was very odd and not safe.  After serving myself, I would go wash my hands.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, navysafe said:

Just got back from an Alaskan cruise on Carnival (August 24, 2021).  Everyone did wear masks.  What I found very odd is that no disposable gloves were provided for the buffet lines and using the utensils.  Everyone used the same utensil to serve themselves.  I just thought that was very odd and not safe.  After serving myself, I would go wash my hands.

I can see the concern that you have, but I haven't seen carnival state that they were providing gloves. But, if they did, they would then also have to police them... make sure that people put them on properly, not touch their faces, etc. I don't think they would be all that effective... if they were even offered. 

• Like 6

Bring your own. This is standard on all carnival ships and you could have asked before if you desired them.  Sorry you werent aware of this. 

True, bring your own if that's what you want. At least carnival offers the buffet. Rcl isnt even offering a dinner time buffet and it closes by mid afternoon. At least you had choices.

• Like 5

NCL made us wash our hands before getting our plates in the buffet, and that was with servers handling everything. Seems like Carnival could do the same, especially with hand sanitizer stations they've always had outside the buffet.

Best advice is to wash your hands before and after. Better than gloves.

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, Jamesatgsu said:

Gloves doesn't prevent Covid transmission. The virus doesn't seep through your skin into your blood system. Wash your hands. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jamesatgsu said:

NCL made us wash our hands before getting our plates in the buffet, and that was with servers handling everything. Seems like Carnival could do the same, especially with hand sanitizer stations they've always had outside the buffet.

I really hate the "washy washy" on NCL. I mean, hate it to the point that it is a factor in booking. I wash my hands with soap and water before I enter the buffet. I have always made a point of not touching surface areas on a ship due to noro - elevator buttons get hit with my elbow, don't hold the handrails, etc. Sanitizer is great when soap and water is not available, but I've seen those people literally run after cruisers to "washy washy". 

• Like 2

Gloves are no more or no less cleaner than no gloves.  People are going to touch their face and other things with gloves on too so the same germs on bare hands will be on the gloves touching everything.     Some people feel that since they were wearing gloves, they don't need to wash their hands.  Bottom line is don't touch your face, wash you hands a lot, use sanitizer. 

• Like 2

My wife and I will take our own to use on the buffet for our September cruise.  I have always known that most germs are spread by touching things that others have touched and then spreading it to other things like your phone, door key, glasses, etc or then touching your nose or eyes before washing your hands without even thinking about it.  We have also always brought hand sanitizing wipes long before covid.  We will use the gloves on one hand to fill our plates, remove it and use hand sanitizing wipes at our table.  Yes, gloves do help you when used properly.  They don't help you if you touch your plate or other personal items with the same gloved hand that you used to touch buffet utensils.

Edited by Lee Cruiser
  • Like 2

In addition to either washing or sanitizing my hands before handling the utensils, I always wash my hands after handling the utensils too.  I don't worry about not touching handrails, elevator buttons, lounge chairs, coffee dispensers, or anything else.  I just wash my hands before eating and throughout the day and have never gotten sick on a cruise or while traveling.

20 hours ago, navysafe said:

Isn't that how it always has been? Covid is not passed through touching things. It is an airborne virus. Utensils and things transfer norovirus and the like. If you are not sanitizing after touching those things and before eating, it would be crazy. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, tm_aw_love said:

they would then also have to police them... make sure that people put them on properly,

Not really. I don’t care if other people wear the gloves.  

I’d want gloves to keep my own hands from touching the utensils.  I wash my hands and don’t touch anything before I get to the buffet. Only 1 glove is needed as you can hold the plate with the other hand.  But honestly I’d rather just be served.  

I realize covid is not spread through surface contact but touching the utensils after others is nasty.  

I wash my hands afterwards, and then eat cold food.  

Bring your own gloves if that's what you want. I know for me I'm touching my face and mask, wouldnt help. 

I'm so glad we have a buffet for dinner and can choose how to eat unlike rcl where you pretty much are forced to the Mdr. Quit complaining and do what you feel is necessary. Surely you can afford to buy some gloves if you want some. It's been discussed here since first cruises went out they are self serve since middle of first week. Eat in Mdr. SELF serve means it's on you. 

• Like 1

People want Carnival to pay for gloves, masks, testing, repatriation for anybody ill, etc., etc., etc.

Bottom line is, this is a business, they are providing a service, they are DEEPLY in debt, and they aren't required to foot the expense of every single item that you may want. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, navysafe said:

Unless each passenger is changing gloves after each utensil it's not worth it.  If they sanitize or wash their hands before and you wash yours after, then everything should be fine.

• Like 1