U S Citizens may be denied entrance to European Union

oskidunker

American travelers may be denied admission to Europe

The European Union lifted travel restrictions for U.S. visitors in June, seeking to boost tourism and also expecting reciprocity in return. The latter never came, and most European travelers are still not allowed in America because of COVID-19 limitations.

Now the EU might play tit-for-tat.

With coronavirus infection rates in the U.S. rising past those in Europe, the EU may recommend Monday to ban Americans from non-essential travel to the Old Continent, the Wall Street Journal reported Sunday. The newspaper said some countries may still decide to allow U.S. visitors with proof of vaccination

Edited by oskidunker

As a "whole", the thread title is not quite accurate. It 'may be' a recommendation from the EU to the Member States, each State, ultimately, will implement/issue its' own policy on travel to their country by Americans.

Rather it be in whole or in part or modified.

bon voyage

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, oskidunker said:

Thank you for the link, yet what I stated earlier in my post still stands, the verification is in paragraph #2 of the Forbes article.

Which is beyond the headline....

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, oskidunker said:

American travelers may be denied admission to Europe

The European Union lifted travel restrictions for U.S. visitors in June, seeking to boost tourism and also expecting reciprocity in return. The latter never came, and most European travelers are still not allowed in America because of COVID-19 limitations.

Now the EU might play tit-for-tat.

With coronavirus infection rates in the U.S. rising past those in Europe, the EU may recommend Monday to ban Americans from non-essential travel to the Old Continent, the Wall Street Journal reported Sunday. The newspaper said some countries may still decide to allow U.S. visitors with proof of vaccination

Okay, after thinking about it, you were only reporting what is factual yet did not expound on or further detail in your original post the essential info IMO.

I apologize to you on this point.

bon voyage

• Like 1

Scheduled to fly out for Athens on Friday evening to join Apex on Saturday. I am not worried about potential new restrictions, as I feel these may be focused more on the unvaccinated, and I can't see Greece invoking more restrictions at this point. They were one of the first EU countries to reopen from what I've read, so I'm thinking (and hoping) that it's business as it has been since May for them. 

• Like 1

The restrictions “can vary from state to state, but it is widely expected that fully vaccinated Americans would still maintain unfettered access” to the European Union, said an E.U. diplomat who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss internal deliberations.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/08/30/eu-travel-restrictions/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I really would suggest waiting for the individual country reactions to the EU advice.

As yet there really is no news, and at this point nothing has changed, all that is being reported is the same EU advice and a bunch of speculation.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, GerScot said:

Sounds like a bit of Tit for Tat !

More like the EU made the first move, it wasn't reciprocated, the EU let it slide even though the numbers didn't really justify keeping it open, but the numbers continued to slide so they can't ignore it any more and have to shut it down again.

No judgement, it was probably opened up too soon and it was probably right not to reciprocate.

Let's wait and see if there are any mitigations in the individual country actions like vaccination status.

24 minutes ago, glmacruise said:

I really feel for the places who rely on tourism. Many lives will be destroyed economically.

I doubt this latest recommendation will have much of a negative impact beyond what already exists.  Apparently the EU recommendation (not binding on any country) is to only ban unvaccinated folks.  The truth is that few unvaccinated have been traveling to Europe because of the various restrictions that have been in place not to mention the mandatory vaccination requirements of several cruise lines.

Hank

Here everyone can keep up to date as things change in each country visiting these websites.

https://es.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

Spain

Entry and Exit Requirements:  SPAIN

Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter? Yes

• Effective June 24, 2021, U.S. citizens can travel from the United States to Spain if they present a QR code generated through the Spain Travel Health portal, obtained through the website or by downloading the SpTH app in Google Play or App Store for each traveler
  • U.S. citizens who are travelling to Spain from a country that is not the United States should make sure they follow the guidance published by Spanish authorities on their local Spain Embassy website.
  • Please be aware that travel immediately following this change may involve extensive wait times upon arrival as implementation is rolled out. Requirements below.
  • Click here for information for travel within the European Schengen zone.

https://it.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

Italy

Entry and Exit Requirements:

• Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter? Yes
    • U.S. citizens may travel to Italy for any reason, including tourism.
    • Current travel restrictions on entry into Italy are linked to several factors, including one’s country of departure and purpose of travel.
    • The Government of Italy periodically updates these restrictions based upon changing conditions, and all travelers should refer to current Italian health decrees when making travel plans.
    • English-language guidance on current entry and exit requirements is maintained on the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs’ website.
    • All persons traveling to Italy from any foreign location are required to provide their airline or Italian law enforcement officials with a self-declaration form prior to travel.
    • Regional governments in Italy may also impose restrictions on travelers from certain foreign countries, and travelers intending to travel or return to Italy are advised to check whether any new provisions have been introduced by their region of destination.
    • Beginning on June 21 and valid until August 30, 2021, travelers from the United States may enter Italy without the need to self-isolate/quarantine upon arrival if they present a Covid document compliant with Italian and EU regulations, commonly called the “Green Pass”, certifying one of the following conditions:
        • An Anti-COVID 19 vaccination certificate for an European Medicines Agency (EMA)-recognized vaccine.  At present, EMA recognizes the following vaccines: Pfizer-BioNtech, Moderna, Johnson and Johnson, and AstraZeneca.  The date of the final vaccine dose must be at least 14 days prior to travel.  Travelers vaccinated in the United States can prove this via the “white card” bearing the CDC logo.
        • A medical certificate confirming recovery from COVID dated no more than six months before departure.
        • A negative molecular PCR or rapid antigen test result carried out within 48 hours of departure.
    • Passengers are required to complete the online EU Digital Passport Locator Form.

https://uk.usembassy.gov/covid-19-coronavirus-information/

England

Entry and Exit Requirements

• Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter? Yes, if not traveling from a ‘red-list’ country.  Please see the UK government website for more information
  • Is a negative COVID-19 test (PCR and/or serology) required for entry? Yes
  • Are health screening procedures in place at airports and other ports of entry? Yes

Please see UK Visa and Immigration’s website for information on visa extensions for residents and tourists.

You will not be able to travel to the United Kingdom from a country on the travel ban list unless you have residence rights in the UK. The United States is not currently on the travel ban list.

New arrivals will be required to provide UK officials with contact and travel information prior to arrival by completing the Public Health Locator Form. This form must be completed by each member of your traveling party. You may not submit the form until 48 hours before your arrival in the UK.

Other countries

France

Netherlands

Belgium

30 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I doubt this latest recommendation will have much of a negative impact beyond what already exists.  Apparently the EU recommendation (not binding on any country) is to only ban unvaccinated folks.

There is a lot of vague reporting around at the moment, and while it is hoped that individual countries will decide to allow travel for those who are fully vaccinated, that isn't explicitly part of the decision that the EU has just taken.

All that has happened is that the EU has removed the USA from Annex I of the Non-essential travel list.

This is what that means:

"Non-essential travel to the EU from countries or entities not listed in Annex I is subject to temporary travel restriction. This is without prejudice to the possibility for member states to lift the temporary restriction on non-essential travel to the EU for fully vaccinated travellers."

So the EU does not recommend that fully vaccinated people be allowed in for non-essential travel, it merely doesn't eliminate the possibility.

15 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

There is a lot of vague reporting around at the moment, and while it is hoped that individual countries will decide to allow travel for those who are fully vaccinated, that isn't explicitly part of the decision that the EU has just taken.

Exactly. I’ve seen speculation and interpretation, but no official statement that fully vaccinated US travelers will still be allowed to travel to the EU.