Sapphire Princess 2022 deployment?!

hapster85

I too specifically chose Sapphire, smaller ship, wrap around Promenade, Conservatory, etc. Considering a switch to Grand on a RT out of SEA for same dates, as we have done the southbound Inside Passage before. Any opinions on Crown Princess?

Edited by Buckeye10640

It's been a long time (2015) since we sailed on Crown but it's the say layout as Emerald and we sailed on Emerald for 28 days in 2017 and then for 14 days in 2019. Loved the ship. We would be happy to sail on Crown again.

I chose Sapphire thinking that it might do a thorough inside passage from Vancouver, through Strait of Georgia northbound.  For sure because of its size, Royal would go around and sail on the ocean, west of Vancouver Island...

4 hours ago, memoak said:

Sail dates seem to be the same - my issue is that we love aft cabins and are booked in an aft vista suite for a b2b in August / September - the Royal does not have vista suites the aft suites are penthouse and the forward suites are Premium.  I am afraid they will move us to the forward suite and that may be a deal breaker for us

The dates in the letter stated September 24th 2022 to November 7th.  I have a September 2022 Alaska cruise also booked in an aft vista suite.  

5 hours ago, hapster85 said:

Just got an email from Princess that due to Sapphire being redeployed, our Alaskan cruisetour is being moved to Royal. Needless to say, I'm not a happy camper. Guess I'll need to call and see what our options are. Ugh.

What was the date of your cruise?

2 hours ago, memoak said:

I do not believe you will get to choose a stateroom.  Princess will assign a cabin based on your original cabin category and then we will all scramble to move to our preferred location.  The biggest issue will be for those of us who have categories on the Sapphire that don't exist on the Royal.  We have an aft vista suite on the Sapphire - vista suites don't exist on the Royal.  I would like to know if they are going to give us an aft penthouse suite, a forward premium suite or a midship suite which tend to be smaller with very narrow balconies.   My PVP is currently on the Majestic so I guess I will wait till next week to contact her or just wait till the 17th of September

I did call and was informed they will try to place you in the location as your original cabin.  Since Royal only has penthouse suites in the aft section then you should receive one of those.

• Like 1

For us, on the Southbound from Whittier next June we loose Ketchikan for Victoria. It is my assumptions is since the Royal is a larger ship, it cannot go through the inside passage. 

We were going to do the float plane to Misty Fjords out of Ketchikan. For Victoria, it appears our excursion options are very limited.

Originally we were to sail June 2021 and now The Royal is now our 4th ship we have been assigned to for our Alaska Cruise. I am just ready to go.

3 hours ago, memoak said:

I do not believe you will get to choose a stateroom.  Princess will assign a cabin based on your original cabin category and then we will all scramble to move to our preferred location.  The biggest issue will be for those of us who have categories on the Sapphire that don't exist on the Royal.  We have an aft vista suite on the Sapphire - vista suites don't exist on the Royal.  I would like to know if they are going to give us an aft penthouse suite, a forward premium suite or a midship suite which tend to be smaller with very narrow balconies.   My PVP is currently on the Majestic so I guess I will wait till next week to contact her or just wait till the 17th of September

We're wondering, too. Booked our first suite ever for a 65th birthday celebration: the S1 grand suite. There's nothing comparable on the Royal. I wonder what they will offer us. I'm guessing one of the S3s with larger balconies. I would think we'd get a price reduction, too, as the grand suite is significantly costlier than the S3 suites found on the Royal.

We also booked the Grand Suite for our cruise as it was a retirement cruise and also bringing along the grandkids and DD and SIL in connecting balconies on opposite side.  Picked smaller ship as well.  As Grislap said, nothing comparable on Royal.  Although the aft corner wraparound balconies do give the advantage of seeing wake and side view - there is also the possible soot issue on Royal class.  We will see what we are assigned.    We really would like to take this cruise!

9 minutes ago, Cypress201 said:

We also booked the Grand Suite for our cruise as it was a retirement cruise and also bringing along the grandkids and DD and SIL in connecting balconies on opposite side.  Picked smaller ship as well.  As Grislap said, nothing comparable on Royal.  Although the aft corner wraparound balconies do give the advantage of seeing wake and side view - there is also the possible soot issue on Royal class.  We will see what we are assigned.    We really would like to take this cruise!

Looking around a bit, seems like people are most likely to complain about soot on the Dolphin deck. Found this image which helps you visualize those aft balconies better. 

Royal Princess aft balcony sizes.jpeg

We were booked on the Royal Princess Hong Kong to Sydney August 2022 (rescheduled from Aug 2021.) Have just received an email to say that due to redeployment, we will now be on the Sapphire.

So Sapphire must be in Asia before August 2022 to start their repositioning cruise to Sydney

We have cruised on Sapphire twice before and actually prefer the Grand class ships.

We booked a minisuite on the Royal (at a great price), so will be interesting to see where they put us on the Sapphire, as we also book the caribe balconys. Dont want to give up our fist mini suite.

CHeers

Tanya  

8 minutes ago, Grislap said:

Looking around a bit, seems like people are most likely to complain about soot on the Dolphin deck. Found this image which helps you visualize those aft balconies better. 

Royal Princess aft balcony sizes.jpeg

Had R730 on Sky and did have a soot issue depending on wind, but balcony was wonderful so not a deal-breaker. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ebeluga said:

I chose Sapphire thinking that it might do a thorough inside passage from Vancouver, through Strait of Georgia northbound.  For sure because of its size, Royal would go around and sail on the ocean, west of Vancouver Island...

Is this speculation, or fact, that Royal class ships can’t transit the inside passage on the east side of Vancouver island? I’ve seen lots of people mention it, but I’m not sure where this info comes from. 

We were in R730 years ago and the soot was terrible.    I had Alaska booked in 2020 on the Pacific Princess - loved their corner suites.  Then they pulled it and we were switched to a different ship.   So many cancellations over the last 19 months, I can't keep them straight.   We had 2021 booked and they switched ships again. and now 2022!!!     Our son and his fiance were suppose to be in the aft cabin next to us our suite.  Where will they put them???    Not happy about missing Ketchikan. 

I see all the unhappy people, but I am just happy to have the cruise changed, rather than cancelled as my previous 9 cruises were during COVID. I've been on the Royal Princess 10 times and have been on Alaska cruises 5 times. We spend most our time on the upper decks for glacier viewing, so size of the balconies is not that big a deal and we also find the indoor pool area a bit stuffy with a chlorine smell. Most the time have had great weather in Alaska and when it gets a bit chilly, just add layers of clothing to hang on the upper decks. Those of us that choose to sail and not cancel will all enjoy the cruise despite small balconies, no walk-around promenade deck, etc. 

• Like 1

Seriously?  My first ever cruise and now I get the email too.  Was June 25, 2022.  No information in my email except going on Royal and I'll have access to new booking accommodations NLT September 17.  I booked Sapphire because it was smaller, the east side of Vancouver appealed, and I booked a mini suite D211.

My flights were gone early yesterday afternoon.   My Ta is on vacation in Germany but she sent a note saying they will do their best to book us in similar cabins so i will trust her and keep my fingers crossed.   Still not happy about the itinerary change.

Sandy

11 hours ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

Is this speculation, or fact, that Royal class ships can’t transit the inside passage on the east side of Vancouver island? I’ve seen lots of people mention it, but I’m not sure where this info comes from. 

Chengkp75 commented on large cruise ships using the inside passage many times.  If I remember correctly, the problem with the LARGE Princess ships (Royal Class) is their rudder/propeller configuration.  Add to this the fact that Royal class ships (Majestic & Discovery, etc.) have somewhere around 3.1 acres of sail area (the amount of surface exposed to a wind blowing on the side of the vessel), and Southeast Alaska Pilots Association were concerned about getting cruise ships through narrow parts of the Inside Passage.  Also, Princess Royal Class ships will "crab" or go sideways at about 8 degrees with a 25 knot wind on her beam.  

The Southeast Alaska pilots Association have used simulators to test both podded propulsion ships and conventional propulsion ships in the Inside Passage, and feel that the Royal Class ships, with their conventional propellers and rudders are less maneuverable at low speed, and therefore they won't allow them into parts of the Inside Passage. 

British Columbia, Canada -- made the decision that they would not allow the Royal Class ships to transit Seymour Narrows, which meant these very large ships (Majestic, Discovery) had to sail west of Vancouver Island.  The Grand Princess (Grand Class) has sailed many times in 2019, and not once did it sail east of Vancouver Island.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, John99 said:

Chengkp75 commented on large cruise ships using the inside passage many times.  If I remember correctly, the problem with the LARGE Princess ships (Royal Class) is their rudder/propeller configuration.  Add to this the fact that Royal class ships (Majestic & Discovery, etc.) have somewhere around 3.1 acres of sail area (the amount of surface exposed to a wind blowing on the side of the vessel), and Southeast Alaska Pilots Association were concerned about getting cruise ships through narrow parts of the Inside Passage.  Also, Princess Royal Class ships will "crab" or go sideways at about 8 degrees with a 25 knot wind on her beam.  

The Southeast Alaska pilots Association have used simulators to test both podded propulsion ships and conventional propulsion ships in the Inside Passage, and feel that the Royal Class ships, with their conventional propellers and rudders are less maneuverable at low speed, and therefore they won't allow them into parts of the Inside Passage. 

British Columbia, Canada -- made the decision that they would not allow the Royal Class ships to transit Seymour Narrows, which meant these very large ships (Majestic, Discovery) had to sail west of Vancouver Island.  The Grand Princess (Grand Class) has sailed many times in 2019, and not once did it sail east of Vancouver Island.  

This is great information! I wasn't aware that the Royal class ships were so restricted. When I've sailed in Alaska before, both the Star Princess and Carnival Miracle transited the Seymour Narrows... oddly, the azipod-powered NCL Pearl was the only ship I've been on that sailed the west side of Vancouver island, which was certainly a ship that could have transited. 

And to clarify the last part, assuming you meant Grand princess didn't sail *west* of Vancouver island and that it generally does sail east and transits the narrows.

16 minutes ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

This is great information! I wasn't aware that the Royal class ships were so restricted. When I've sailed in Alaska before, both the Star Princess and Carnival Miracle transited the Seymour Narrows... oddly, the azipod-powered NCL Pearl was the only ship I've been on that sailed the west side of Vancouver island, which was certainly a ship that could have transited. 

And to clarify the last part, assuming you meant Grand princess didn't sail *west* of Vancouver island and that it generally does sail east and transits the narrows.

Thanks AstoriaPreppy -- I stand corrected – I meant the Grand Princess sailed east of Vancouver Island.

I forgot to mention that Princess is in discussion with BC Canada to lift the restriction.

For me, the “Inside Passage” going south from the southern tip of Alaska uses the Grenville Channel.  The Grenville Channel is possibly the most dramatic part of the Inside Passage.   Large cruise ships do not take this route i.e. Majestic.  The channel narrows to about quarter-mile at mile 518.  Just beautiful!!  The Northern Canyons is especially dramatic 100 mile stretch of the Inside Passage which begins at Boat Bluff Lighthouse.  The almost 90-degree turn is too sharp for large cruise ships like the Majestic or Discovery.

2 hours ago, compozer said:

My flights were gone early yesterday afternoon.   My Ta is on vacation in Germany but she sent a note saying they will do their best to book us in similar cabins so i will trust her and keep my fingers crossed.   Still not happy about the itinerary change.

Sandy

My TA is also in Germany. Think they are on to Greece right now.😊 Our February cruise redeployment from the Crown to Emerald went smoothly and same cabin booked. I realize that this will be different as the 2 ships not identical.  I didn't have flights booked for my Feb cruise so I dont know how that will work out.

Just glad it's not cancelled.  Just a bump in the road.

5 hours ago, hapster85 said:

Made the mistake of looking at my booking on the website this morning, and my booked flights are missing. I hope that's not a sign of how smoothly this transition isn't going to go.

A TA posted on a different site that is to be expected while they transitionthe booking to the new ship. I wouldnt worry.......yet...

• Like 1