Will RCCL start doing their own rapid testing at the Port for all passengers?

bren61

3 hours ago, bren61 said:

I do feel that RCCL should provide a test for those that attempted to make appointments, but were unable to get in because the time slots filled quickly,

This, while sounding logical, would only encourage those who already believe that the rules don't apply to them to use it as an excuse to avoid taking personal responsibility for their actions/inactions.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

Isn't MSC checking all the passengers at the terminal?

I believe I've read that on the MSC board, but I haven't looked into it too closely since our MSC cruise isn't until April 2022.

MSC changed it with their new protocols where you are responsible for getting the test done now within 3 days.

3 hours ago, bren61 said:

I also want to know the shelf life, I would get the 6 pack if it lasts a year because we have another cruise next September.

Manufacture date on my tests that I purchased last week from eMed have a date of Feb 8 2021...so with the FDA extended shelf life of one year the test is good till Feb 8 2022 

12 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

MSC was testing at terminal in italy last fall/winter when their ship was sailing with a couple hundred passengers.  I think they had 1 maybe 2 ships sailing then.

As of July 2021 they require passengers to test 48 hours prior to cruise.

No, here is a cruise out of Miami on August 23, 2021, and passengers were getting tested at the terminal (the author and her familiy are vaccinated):

1 hour ago, outtoseacruise said:

Testing at the terminal was a disaster with MSC earlier this month. You went through security and waited in a line for about 45 minutes with about 100 +/- just to be given your stickers to be tested. You then went to another line and waited about 5 - 10 minutes to go behind a partition to be tested. Then you went up the escalators to the holding pen that was the number on your shirt where you sat with others for about 45 minutes. Once the 20-30 people in your group tested negative you were brought to another escalator and went back down to another line about 15 minutes long where you were cleared to board and then went up another escalator and finally boarded. 

Royal Caribbean is a for profit company and they should not have to pay for you testing. Next you will want them to pay for your passports, parking, transfers, etc.. 

The tests cost money and why should Royal Caribbean pay for it? They will just raise the pricing to cover the costs. If I can get tested and follow the rules why should I be charged to subsidize your tests because they will pass the costs on to everyone.

As a shareholder why should they be responsible for a simple task any adult should be able to do?

FWIW I am about set to drop my daughter at school (9:10-9:15) and then go for a boarding antigen test at the city site. I should have my results in text and email by 10:00 -10:15 AM.

The test and result were faster than I thought. Results were available at 9:47. It was easier and faster to get tested compared to dropping my daughter of in the drop-off line at school.

If you can't get tested you can cancel your cruise. Simple stop playing the poor, poor, pitiful me story and trying to be the victim. Test=Cruise, Not Tested=No Cruise. 

09012021 Test.jpeg

Edited by outtoseacruise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Sunshine3601 said:

I just read on the MSC website they want test done within 48 hours prior to cruise.   

That was also included as a recommendation in the latest CDC edict. Gonna be really hard if the lines adapt 48 hours unless the offer rapid tests at embarkation. 

• Like 2

Just now, Itchy&Scratchy said:

No, here is a cruise out of Miami on August 23, 2021, and passengers were getting tested at the terminal (the author and her familiy are vaccinated):

MSC was testing at terminal in Miami just last month...there is a You Tube channel called La Lido Loca where Tony describes the process.  He described it as a frustrating 3 hour process from terminal to ship.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

According to msc website 

http://m.msccruises.com/en-gl/Mobile/MSC-Health-And-Safety-measures.aspx

Test is needed 48 hrs prior to cruise.  

12 minutes ago, bajathree said:

Manufacture date on my tests that I purchased last week from eMed have a date of Feb 8 2021...so with the FDA extended shelf life of one year the test is good till Feb 8 2022 

Actually there is a letter from Abbott floating around the site that shows lot numbers and when they expire based on the fda extention it's isn't a full year from manufacture date.

BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Home Test Product Expiry Update - Customer Letter EN - US.pdf

Edited by mauraoel
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I just read on the MSC website they want test done within 48 hours prior to cruise.   

This is the current info off the MSC site now:

MSC Meraviglia and MSC Divina Cruises Beginning September 3 through & including October 31, 2021 departing from PortMiami and PortCanaveral

- FULLY VACCINATED

• NEW*: The Bahamas has just announced new protocols requiring any visitors (12 years and older) to be fully vaccinated. Due to this latest requirement, MSC Cruises will now be requiring all guests 12 years and older to be fully vaccinated on all sailings beginning September 3, 2021 through and including sailings of October 31, 2021 departing from PortMiami and Port Canaveral.

• IMMEDIATE ACTION AFTER MAKING A RESERVATION: The guest making the cruise booking will be required to accept the terms and conditions on behalf of and with the consent of all persons named in the booking. This can be completed by visiting web check-in.

• IMMEDIATE ACTION AFTER MAKING A RESERVATION: You must provide your health status and advise MSC Cruises if you will be vaccinated or not fully vaccinated at the time of your cruise by completing the health questionnaire

• NEGATIVE TEST REQUIRED**: All fully vaccinated guests must provide documentation of a negative COVID-19 test at the pier. The test must be taken no more than 3 days before arriving at the terminal for embarkation and the guest is responsible for the test and cost. Fully vaccinated guests must provide either a negative RT-PCR test, negative NAAT or negative antigen test.

1 minute ago, outtoseacruise said:

The test and result were faster than I thought. Results were available at 9:51. It was easier and faster to get tested compared to dropping my daughter of in the drop-off line at school.

If you can't get tested you can cancel your cruise. Simple stop playing the poor, poor, pitiful me story and trying to be the victim.

are you not aware of the fact that in some areas it's close to impossible to either 1) schedule a test or 2) schedule a rapid test or 3) get a PCR test result within 3 days?

Just because they were available in your area and at the speed of light doesn't mean it's the same in every corner of the US.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, outtoseacruise said:

MSC changed it with their new protocols where you are responsible for getting the test done now within 3 days.

I was replying to someone saying it wasn't doable. I said - obviously, it was doable, since MSC was doing it. There is no reason to tell me what the NEW MSC protocols starting on Sep 3 are.

3 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

are you not aware of the fact that in some areas it's close to impossible to either 1) schedule a test or 2) schedule a rapid test or 3) get a PCR test result within 3 days?

Just because they were available in your area and at the speed of light doesn't mean it's the same in every corner of the US.

Yes some areas have difficulty and if you reside in one of those areas your best option is to order the test kits online.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nelblu said:

When I had Cataract surgery in May, the window was 6 days.  For someone with more knowledge explain why the CDC requires 3 and recommending 2 days vs requirements for other venues/activities. 

Because the CDC knows the conditions at many of the embarkation ports.

If you are embarking from a port in a state that is considered the epicenter for a certain disease  and has no mandatory public health measures or from another state that is close behind in numbers and lack of disease control, the two days may help screen out those who have a carefree time in the state before boarding and may test positive.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rebeccac said:

On another thread, someone said the tests are good for one year from the date they are manufactured.  

I think the 1 year thing is related to the CDC emergency approval. They have recently changed what tested they have authorized to ones that test for both COVID and the flu. The previous test was only COVID. So labs had to spend the additional time to also process a flu test.

3 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I was replying to someone saying it wasn't doable. I said - obviously, it was doable, since MSC was doing it. There is no reason to tell me what the NEW MSC protocols starting on Sep 3 are.

MSC most likely adapted the new protocols because their system of testing at miami port was a mess and frustrating as said by many. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, mauraoel said:

Actually there is a letter from Abbott floating around the site that shows lot numbers and when they expire based on the fda extention it's isn't a full year from manufacture date.

Abbot says expiration is extended 3 months from their expiration date. On my tests that is 10/15/2021...that puts it at 1/15/22 3 weeks difference from FDA 1 year extension on manufacture date that would take it to 2/8/2022

10 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

And I am sure thats part of the reason they are now accepting the at home Abbott procured test. 

3 minutes ago, bajathree said:

Abbot says expiration is extended 3 months from their expiration date. On my tests that is 10/15/2021...that puts it at 1/15/22 3 weeks difference from FDA 1 year extension on manufacture date that would take it to 2/8/2022

Yeah its a little strange that it isn't a full year but if I needed a test for our 1/23 cruise I am not sure that the test would work that had an expiration date of 1/15 per the manufacture even if reading the FDA letter would make you believe that it doesn't expire until February.

Edited by mauraoel
  • Like 1

Please help, as I'm totally confused with all of the C tests.  My emergency clinic has the following available tests:

PCR and Rapid Test Molecular.

RT-Molecular results is available within the same day or hours.  Is this test accepted by RCL.

1 minute ago, nelblu said:

Please help, as I'm totally confused with all of the C tests.  My emergency clinic has the following available tests:

PCR and Rapid Test Molecular.

RT-Molecular results is available within the same day or hours.  Is this test accepted by RCL.

Does it say NAAT(NAAT is a PCR that gets processed faster)?  The Molecular may be the antibody test, which isn't accepted.

Edited by mauraoel

MSC are still testing all passengers (vaccinated and unvaccinated) at the terminal on the UK cruises. When we were on in June it was very well organised and people were on the ship without too long a wait. 

We are on RCL from Southampton in a few weeks and they require a test 72 hours before departure for everyone but it is free if you book with their provider, otherwise they refund the cost with OBC. Not sure why they are doing things differently over here.

• Like 1