Carnival changing testing to 2 days prior...we Royal follow?

bajathree

8 minutes ago, ktbr11crs said:

Just saw this update on the Royal Caribbean protocols:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/the-healthy-sail-center/getting-ready-to-cruise

Required Pre-Cruise Testing for Cruises Departing Before September 13, 2021

All guests age 2 and older — regardless of their vaccination status or the length of their cruise — will need to take a COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) with an accredited test provider, such as a drugstore chain or diagnostic lab, no more than 3 days before arriving at the terminal and show their negative test result upon arriving. The results can be printed out, or can be presented on your phone, such as the email result from your test provider. Costs associated with this test are the guest’s responsibility.

Required Pre-Cruise Testing for Cruises Departing September 13, 2021 or Later

Guests departing on or after September 13, 2021 will need to meet the new requirements recently issued by the U.S. CDC.

• Vaccinated guests age 12 and older must show a negative COVID-19 test result for a PCR or antigen test taken no more than 2 days before boarding.
  • Unvaccinated kids age 2 to 11 must show a negative test result for a PCR test taken no more than 3 days before boarding. Antigen tests will not be accepted.
  • Guests under 2 years of age will not be tested.
  • The cost of pre-cruise testing is the guest’s responsibility.

Have questions about which tests are accepted?
Read Detailed Testing FAQs

This absolutely sucks. I had to get online at 6 AM this morning to book a rapid test, for 3 days out for my Sept. 19 cruise,  at  the only CVS around me that is doing rapid tests. So I will get up early tomorrow and try to snag a rapid test for the next day, now that it has to be only two days out. So annoyed at the CDC and now annoyed at Royal. 

Edited by sandebeach
  • Like 2

On 9/2/2021 at 12:19 PM, smokeybandit said:

You can use all 6 for 6 different people. The pack is not tied to a single person.

I registered with all three of our names but I have a question.  Do all three of us sign in to the same account to test?  How does that work?

14 minutes ago, ktbr11crs said:

• Vaccinated guests age 12 and older must show a negative COVID-19 test result for a PCR or antigen test taken no more than 2 days before boarding.
  • Unvaccinated kids age 2 to 11 must show a negative test result for a PCR test taken no more than 3 days before boarding. Antigen tests will not be accepted.

So this changes things.  Our local testing sites are currently returning PCR results in an average of 2.5 days because of high demand, so that is no longer an option.  We have very few sites that do the 2-hour rapid antigen tests.  And even if you make an appointment, sometimes they will switch the test to the 3-day PCR test without telling you.  So that leaves the BinaxNow AG card test as the "only" reliable test method.

And for children under 12, I see no option.  It seems that families with children would have no option other than to cancel right now.  

Edited by Lou33
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, whyrlygig said:

I registered with all three of our names but I have a question.  Do all three of us sign in to the same account to test?  How does that work?

Each person taking the test must set up their own account….

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I have seen some great deals for cruises sept thru april.  A lot of people posting about getting reprice for substantial savings or getting OBCs.  

Unfortunately none of mine have been reduced. 😭

48 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

RCI if you are listening, setup the IT dept to allow folks to request FCC under CWC ON line so we do not have to call.

I thought I saw an on-line form for this purpose under the Cruise with Confidence page.  Does that work?

20 minutes ago, emeraldcity said:

Check your local library ... ours offers the AG home test for free. You call ahead to reserve and then pick it up at the drive-thru window.

Just make sure that is not the standard binaxnow test - it has to be the BinaxNow Covid 19 AG Card Home Test that goes thru emed for proper certification.   

• Like 1

When you think about it, it makes a lot of sense. With kids back in school, they are bound to come home with various common bugs  ... like a cold. In our case, it was my granddaughter who got a cold. Just to be on the safe side, my daughter wanted her tested for COVID before risking sending her back to school. Parents need to have this sort of tool to help them make the right decision. And the community needs to protect itself ... so the best way to do that is to make it free.

I remember the quandry I had when raising my kids about whether they were really sick and should stay home or if they were just looking for a good reason to stay home. And I can't imagine the decisions facing parents these days with covid in the mix.

Edited by emeraldcity

still wondering about CWC 2 days prior?   they need to change to 24 hrs now, otherwise timeline not making sense.  Ya can't test 48 hours before and still request FCC during those 48 hours.  You need to request FCC PRIOR to the start of 48 hours.

All this *&^%&* is giving me a headache.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

still wondering about CWC 2 days prior?   they need to change to 24 hrs now, otherwise timeline not making sense.  Ya can't test 48 hours before and still request FCC during those 48 hours.  You need to request FCC PRIOR to the start of 48 hours.

All this *&^%&* is giving me a headache.

If you test positive you can get a refund, regardless of the timing. 

16 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

If you test positive you can get a refund, regardless of the timing. 

you missed my point.  

Folks can not cancel 2 days out if their rapid test was cancelled.  

For a Fri sail you must cancel by 11:59 on a TUES.   And the testing window starts  12:01 WED and thus a breakdown for any situations whereby if on WED or Thurs one could not find a test.

it is a catch 22 situation

and it sounds like in a couple of months the emed but be overwhelmed or out of tests.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

you missed my point.  

For a Fri sail you must cancel by 11:59 on a TUES.   And the testing window starts  12:01 WED and thus a breakdown for any situations whereby if on WED or Thurs one could not find a test.

and it sounds like in a couple of months the emed but be overwhelmed or out of tests.

They are ramping up production I really doubt they are going to run out.

1 minute ago, mauraoel said:

They are ramping up production I really doubt they are going to run out.

omg you just do not get what I mean.  

I am not talking about home test but Pharmacies who email you with a cancel  or if you show up on the day of the test (now 2 days) and it doesn't happen.  Ya lose the ANY REASON request with RCI because it would now be under 72 hrs.  They need to move testing and requesting FCC up 1 day.

RCI is more about I think providing FCC if you test positive and could care less about timing of test with the PRIOR Aug 25th rules of 72 request for FCC for any reasons.  

6 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

omg you just do not get what I mean.  

I am not talking about home test but Pharmacies who email you with a cancel  or if you show up on the day of the test (now 2 days) and it doesn't happen.  Ya lose the ANY REASON request with RCI because it would now be under 72 hrs.  They need to move testing and requesting FCC up 1 day.

RCI is more about I think providing FCC if you test positive and could care less about timing of test with the PRIOR Aug 25th rules of 72 request for FCC for any reasons.  

I am sure they are already thinking about that but it's also why the are going to be selling the proctored test kits as of the 8th....

I am more worried about the kids having to have a pcr test and the results not being available in time.

Edited by mauraoel

By the way and I am sure someone on this board will correct me if I am incorrect, the three day cancelation deadline has to do with providing a required manifest to CBP.

And don't blame any of the cruise lines on the three and then two day testing period it's all CDC requirements that they have to follow.

Edited by mauraoel

50 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

you missed my point.  

Then order the proctored at home test and take the worry, consternation, and guess work out of the process.  The tools have been placed in all of our hands to make this a VERY simple process, yet some continue to look at it as an insurmountable obstacle. Personal responsibility and control of the situation are a wonderful thing.

Abbott has committed to 50 million tests per month, you will be fine.

Edited by not-enough-cruising
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Then order the proctored at home test and take the worry, consternation, and guess work out of the process.  The tools have been placed in all of our hands to make this a VERY simple process, yet some continue to look at it as an insurmountable obstacle. Personal responsibility and control of the situation are a wonderful thing.

Abbott has committed to 50 million tests per month, you will be fine.

still missing my point but you go with that.

For you the home tests are the answer (even with issues on expiration).  Ya just don't get my point but OH WELL.     RCI needed to slide both rules up a day.

13 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

For you the home tests are the answer (even with issues on expiration).  Ya just don't get my point but OH WELL.     RCI needed to slide both rules up a day.

FWIW, i completely understand your point. In fact, before you even posted about it, my husband and I were discussing this very thing! 

33 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I get your point, so decide what you want to do. 
Cancel for FCC prior to 48 hours, or proceed with the test; negative you cruise, positive you get your money back. 
The onus is on you to do what’s best for you, not on RCI. 
The rules seem pretty fair to me.  

• Like 2