Carnival changing testing to 2 days prior...we Royal follow?

bajathree

52 minutes ago, bajathree said:

Yup..I leave on the 11th. Glad I got the Binax test also. I purchased it as my secondary test since scheduled my PCR for 3 days out. If Royal changes to 2 days the Binax will become my primary test as I wouldn't even bother trying to reschedule my PCR and hope it will be back in 2 days prior to boarding.

I cruise next month. I just placed my order for my Binax test. I can pick it up today at Walgreens and I was able to pay for it with my HSA CC. Thanks for posting. I keep forgetting about the Binax test.

Edited by cynt

3 minutes ago, eswort said:

Just add testing at the port, bribe people with OBC if you come to port already tested and charge people that need to be tested at port

RC was going to do this to get people to go to the Bahamas for the Adventure cruises.

Then they reneged and gave no OBC

How in the heck do you find a covid test within 2 days of sailing AND have the results back in time?!?!?  And we live in a large metropolitan area with lots of testing available, but people are still waiting in line for 3 hours for drive up testing, not able to find actual appointments, or, literally, driving 90 minutes away for appointments.

(I'm in the South, by the way . . . It's a "cluster" around here.)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, cynt said:

I cruise next month. I just placed my order for my Binax test. I can pick it up today at Walgreens and I was able to pay for it with my HSA CC. Thanks for posting. I keep forgetting about the Binax test.

Make sure its the correct test, it Needs to be this oneTestKit.thumb.jpg.50d03909143a0364b20a030b626f5a8e.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ADunk said:

Well, this sucks for us. No testing near by that would work for us. We fly down to FL on 9/10 and need to leave for the airport at 9am. Really don't want to fly down there to find out I'm asymptomatic. This testing has been nothing but a PITA and stressful for out of staters flying in to cruise. I understand the protocols and accept the reason they are in place but 2 days is a little much...

Try that link Bette gave us to the traveling testing van!

Here it is: https://covidtestingllc.com.   traveling van will come to you in Port Canaveral.  From La Lido Loca on you tube, Mauraoel got it.

Edited by BecciBoo

2 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

Yes Royal already made this announcement, there's another thread on it to take effect then.

Are you saying that Royal has already announced the testing is 2 days now not 3?  If so do you have a link to that announcement

46 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

I'm willing to bet it won't be cheaper than the home kit. The home kits are $25-35 each test. The cheapest I've seen rapid tests at any pay up front place is around $65. I've seen prices vary between $65-95 for rapid. I would expect any testing at the terminals to be in line with that - if not a little more money.

Two nights ago, I ended up at the ER with food caught in my chest and had to get an endoscopy, with an antigen test required beforehand. Thank goodness it was negative. However, I had purchased the Abbott Home Self Test kits at $19.99 each plus tax at our local HEB. This is the test that is not monitored, I only purchased them because our daughter, a public school teacher, tested positive a week and a half ago and hubby and I were going to test ourselves if we felt symptomatic. BTW,  Daughter is okay, with only cold symptoms, she and her hubby are fully vaccinated. They all did the home self-tests and only daughter was positive, but of course, they are quarantining until after Labor Day. 

In the meanwhile, we ordered, and received yesterday, the Abbott monitored home tests available through eMed. With shipping and handling and taxes, it was about $177 for 6 tests. We may be using them for our upcoming Royal cruises, and 1 Carnival cruise. 

I texted a local drive-through testing center (not a government agency; they only do symptomatic people testing in our area)  and they texted back they only do the free ones for symptomatic people as well, but hey, their website states they will charge $190  per test if  one needs it for travel. Yikes. 

Edited by sushitex

9 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Are you saying that Royal has already announced the testing is 2 days now not 3?  If so do you have a link to that announcement

No didn't pay any attention cuz we go the 12th, there was another thread here on it.

Here's one: 

And another:

Edited by BecciBoo

39 minutes ago, eswort said:

Just add testing at the port, bribe people with OBC if you come to port already tested and charge people that need to be tested at port

Hmm.  I saw this exact same post, um I mean idea on another site.

1 hour ago, cynt said:

The test you picked up at Walgreens is the wrong one.  You must order the proctored version online only.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bajathree said:

Well I just heard that starting not this weekend but next weekend Carnival has announced that their testing requirement will go to 48hrs prior. Wonder if other cruise lines will start to follow....so may want to start making preparations if you are sailing in the next couple weeks.

It does NOT go into effect the weekend after next. It goes into effect on Monday following that weekend. Those cruises leaving sept 11 and sept 12 are NOT affected. Starts sept 13.

Same like cdc recommended.. sept 13. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

The test you picked up at Walgreens is the wrong one.  You must order the proctored version online only.

OK thanks for the heads up. The order was cancelled anyway because my local store was out of stock. 

Just read that Carnival will be following CDC recommendations to reduce the pre-cruise testing from 3 days down to 2 days beginning on Sept. 13.

Yes, it will give a greater assurance that Covid will not be introduced to the ships; but it's already so difficult to get test results back in the 3 day window.