I Expect HAL to Announce Change to their Covid testing to be just 2 days

LAFFNVEGAS

Both Carnival earlier today and Princess not long ago quietly changed their rules regarding covid testing based on CDC Guidelines.

Per Princess Website. I am expecting HAL to make this announcement tomorrow morning.

Note: Info below is for Princess so dates line up to their sailings.

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/us-cruises/

Health Protocols for Cruises through 2021

For cruises through December 31, 2021, guests must have the following:

• Received their final dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days prior to the beginning of the cruise
  • Proof of vaccination

PLUS, for cruises through October 31, 2021, in addition to the above, guests must also:

• Have proof of a negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) taken within 2 days of their embarkation
  • Be required to wear a face mask in certain areas
  • Yes, on voyages sailing through September 12, 2021, ALL guests will be required to produce a negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) result taken within 3 days of their embarkation.

On voyages sailing September 19, 2021 and after, in accordance with CDC directives, ALL guests will be required to produce a negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) result taken within 2 days of their embarkation. If sailing on Sunday, the test may be taken on Friday and Saturday, and as late as Sunday, if you are guaranteed to receive your results in time for check-in.

Guests will be required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test along with proof of full vaccination upon arrival in the terminal and can then proceed on board.

Guests who travel internationally should always ensure they understand all entry and airline requirements to travel from their home country and the destinations they plan to visit, including where health authorities may require pre-travel COVID-19 testing. In addition to mandatory pre-travel COVID tests for vaccinated guests, guests who have traveled internationally in the 14 days prior to embarkation, will require an antigen test at embarkation. For US sailings, this excludes travel to Canada.

We expect these requirements will be temporary and we appreciate your cooperation and look forward to welcoming you aboard.

Just today both Carnival and Princess (same company of cruise lines as Holland America) changed COVID testing protocols to proof of a negative COVID test 2 days before cruises instead of the previous 3 days. Watch HAL website closely before any upcoming cruises. I’ve seen notices on several Youtube channels tonight that Princess updated their website a few hours ago but has not emailed anyone about their up coming cruises in 2 weeks as yet. The important distinction on the change is that it is two days and not 48 hours. I would be very surprises if HAL doesn’t follow along with the CDC guidelines like their sister companies. Luckily We have already scheduled our COVID tests for noon on Thursday 9/16 for our Saturday 9/18 cruise to Alaska ion the Nieuw Amsterdam. We fly to Seattle very early Friday 9/17 so we are cutting it close. 

From Princess: 

On voyages sailing September 19, 2021 and after, in accordance with CDC directives, ALL guests will be required to produce a negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) result taken within 2 days of their embarkation. If sailing on Sunday, the test may be taken on Friday and Saturday, and as late as Sunday, if you are guaranteed to receive your results in time for check-in.

Guests will be required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test along with proof of full vaccination upon arrival in the terminal and can then proceed on board.

From CARNIVAL:

Effective with sailings as of September 13, 2021, the CDC requires pre-cruise testing for vaccinated guests to be taken within two days prior to the sailing date. If the sailing is on Saturday, the test may be taken on Thursday and Friday, and as late as Saturday, if you are guaranteed to receive your results in time for check-in. 

11 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Both Carnival earlier today and Princess not long ago quietly changed their rules regarding covid testing based on CDC Guidelines.

Per Princess Website. I am expecting HAL to make this announcement tomorrow morning.

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/us-cruises/

• Received their final dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days prior to the beginning of the cruise
  • Proof of vaccination

PLUS, for cruises through October 31, 2021, in addition to the above, guests must also:

• Have proof of a negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) taken within 2 days of their embarkation
  • Yes, on voyages sailing through September 12, 2021, ALL guests will be required to produce a negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) result taken within 3 days of their embarkation.

Guests who travel internationally should always ensure they understand all entry and airline requirements to travel from their home country and the destinations they plan to visit, including where health authorities may require pre-travel COVID-19 testing. In addition to mandatory pre-travel COVID tests for vaccinated guests, guests who have traveled internationally in the 14 days prior to embarkation, will require an antigen test at embarkation. For US sailings, this excludes travel to Canada.

We expect these requirements will be temporary and we appreciate your cooperation and look forward to welcoming you aboard.

Omg. This makes it almost impossible to get results . We are flying in 2 days before embarcation, no time to be tested before flight. Most testing sites cannot  guarantee results in 24-48 hours.we were being tested( $$$) the day before our flight with guaranteed same day results.  Those of us who have already paid in full will have to cancel and wait for refund from HAL . We do have insurance & cancel for any reason, but many probably don’t. This is just horrible . 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Ugggg, great, more pressure.  Do you think this covid testing will end by October or do you expect it to last until at least year end?  Just looking for your feeling not a concrete answer.  Thx.

Sadly I think it will be extended to the end of the year but that is just my guess.

• Like 1

When we travelled to Hawaii back in March of this year we were required to provide a negative test from an approved source within 72 hours of our flights departure. We live near Los Angeles and at the time our options were plentiful. None the less, we decided that any option that did not have a lab onsite was out of the question because it was dependent on some sort of mail delivery to the labs. We drove 75 miles to LAX on a Friday afternoon for the test and had the results within 4 hours. The cost was $125.00 per person which added $375.00 to the cost of our vacation. We also had already recovered from Covid the previous year so we weren't too worried. But not everybody lives close to an international airport, has had Covid, or can afford the added cost. Sure glad that we were on the first cruise on July 24th. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Calicokat said:

Omg. This makes it almost impossible to get results . We are flying in 2 days before embarcation, no time to be tested before flight. Most testing sites cannot  guarantee results in 24-48 hours.we were being tested( $$$) the day before our flight with guaranteed same day results.  Those of us who have already paid in full will have to cancel and wait for refund from HAL . We do have insurance & cancel for any reason, but many probably don’t. This is just horrible . 

If you are flying in two days before the cruise you can get a same day test in Seattle  with an appointment here (assuming you are going to Alaska from Seattle):

https://discoveryhealthmd.com/offer/seatac-doubletree/

We are hoping to join the November 6th cruise to the Sea of Cortez. We haven't booked yet. Not because we are concerned about the new testing requirements but rather we are watching to see where the price of the cruise and our total cost ends up.

I just saw a post that Carnival is working out the details to provide a Mobile Rapid Testing site at their embarkation ports and to stay tuned for updated information. If Carnival can do this I am guessing Princess/Holland America may also do the same. Keeping my fingers crossed this is what they do.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Unless I am completely misunderstanding the new protocol, HAL has made the testing even more difficult for us. We are scheduled to fly out of PHL two days before our scheduled 21 day B to B on the Nieu Statendam next February. Had planned to do my best to get the test on the day before the flight. Now we would have to do it the morning of the flight. Its just getting out of hand. Going on our longest cruise was supposed to be something to look forward to. Now it has become something to worry about. The whole trip (including 1st class airfare) was booked directly with HAL (first time we’ve ever done that) way back in February of this year. This has changed from something that is supposed to be fun to something that is just causing a lot of stress. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

I just saw a post that Carnival is working out the details to provide a Mobile Rapid Testing site at their embarkation ports and to stay tuned for updated information. If Carnival can do this I am guessing Princess/Holland America may also do the same. Keeping my fingers crossed this is what they do.

I hope you are right. 

29 minutes ago, Xander93 said:

If you are flying in two days before the cruise you can get a same day test in Seattle  with an appointment here (assuming you are going to Alaska from Seattle):

https://discoveryhealthmd.com/offer/seatac-doubletree/

Thank you for letting us know about this spot. I also found a lab around the same area. Though inconvenient, we’ll do what we have to do. Thank you for your response

17 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

I just saw a post that Carnival is working out the details to provide a Mobile Rapid Testing site at their embarkation ports and to stay tuned for updated information.

John Heald, brand ambassador for Carnival, said it will be a good while before these are set up. Plus, it will all be at the cruisers' expense. This two day thing will be tough on cruises that sail on Monday. Some testing sites don't work the weekend. I read one report where a drugstore had only one person who was in charge of administering the tests, and that person was out sick for a few days. Appointments cancelled. We'd better have backup plans!

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, jakers said:

When we travelled to Hawaii back in March of this year we were required to provide a negative test from an approved source within 72 hours of our flights departure. We live near Los Angeles and at the time our options were plentiful. None the less, we decided that any option that did not have a lab onsite was out of the question because it was dependent on some sort of mail delivery to the labs. We drove 75 miles to LAX on a Friday afternoon for the test and had the results within 4 hours. The cost was $125.00 per person which added $375.00 to the cost of our vacation. We also had already recovered from Covid the previous year so we weren't too worried. But not everybody lives close to an international airport, has had Covid, or can afford the added cost. Sure glad that we were on the first cruise on July 24th. 

BinaxNow AG supervise at home or on the road testing. It takes 15 mins once the test starts and two test kits run about 70 bucks or a 6 pack for 1

$150. You'll need an app for your smart phone and a laptop or desktop computer for the guided test.

1 hour ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

• Proof of vaccination

What do they mean at the end with this excludes travel to Canada ?

thanks

Sea ya 

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Ugggg, great, more pressure.  Do you think this covid testing will end by October or do you expect it to last until at least year end?  Just looking for your feeling not a concrete answer.  Thx.

IMO I don’t expect any changes soon. So one must adapt if Hal implements new CDC protocol. It is what it is!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Henery said:

BinaxNow AG supervise at home or on the road testing. It takes 15 mins once the test starts and two test kits run about 70 bucks or a 6 pack for 1

$150. You'll need an app for your smart phone and a laptop or desktop computer for the guided test.

But you have to mail the test package to a lab for results,  correct? That doesn't increase speed.

We're booking our next cruise with whomever has pier testing, I lost an entire day yesterday getting those tests done because of problems with our first choice, thankfully we had a Plan B, a lot of stress and we're over $500 poorer, thanks HAL!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

But you have to mail the test package to a lab for results,  correct? That doesn't increase speed.

this is what their website says: 

Can I use this COVID test to meet travel requirements for testing?

No, this is for personal use only and doesn’t provide a documented test result that you can display when traveling. For a documented test result the BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test may be a better  Combined with the NAVICA App and with a negative result, you will have a digital result that may meet travel requirements. This test is offered by eMed, please visit www.emed.com for further information.

17 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

No. you have everything you need in the kit. You are observed by a certified proctor via your computer camera. He verifys the results on the test card and sends you a Certificate via email and on the navica app you downloaded prior to taking the test. . here's the link to a demonstration and review Abbott’s BinaxNOW COVID-19 Home Test

16 minutes ago, boze9999 said:

this is what their website says: 

Can I use this COVID test to meet travel requirements for testing?

No, this is for personal use only and doesn’t provide a documented test result that you can display when traveling. For a documented test result the BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test may be a better  Combined with the NAVICA App and with a negative result, you will have a digital result that may meet travel requirements. This test is offered by eMed, please visit www.emed.com for further information.

I got this review from Trip Advisor this morning. 

Re: Abbott BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test
"me Test 
31 Aug 2021, 3:08 AM
   My mom and I just used this test for travel to Italy. They checked it at JFK Saturday night and when we landed in Milan yesterday morning, they reviewed it, as well. All was good!  We will be using it upon return to the US, too."
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1