What happens if you answer yes to pre-screen question with a Neg. test

Gromitsfamily

I have read if you answer Yes to have you been out of the country in the last 14 days you may/will get tested again at the pier.  What if you you say YES to being around someone who tested positive but you tested negative and are vaccinated?  Are you cancelled online then and there?  Asking for a friend. 

10 minutes ago, Gromitsfamily said:

I have read if you answer Yes to have you been out of the country in the last 14 days you may/will get tested again at the pier.  What if you you say YES to being around someone who tested positive but you tested negative and are vaccinated?  Are you cancelled online then and there?  Asking for a friend. 

maybe just say no.?

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Gromitsfamily said:

You get tested at port at your expense so have a back up plan.  There was a separate area set at the terminal with people who seem to be medical present

Honesty is the best policy. If you HAVE been around people you know for SURE were covid positive,  then  ethically and morally, you should answer yes. If you do NOT know if you have in contact with covid positive people, you can honestly answer "no".  Just do the right thing. :classic_wink:

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Unless you were contacted by your state DHHS stating that you have potentially been in contact with someone that tested positive for covid, you have no clue if you have been. No need to mix speculation with fact. It is DHHS responsibility to inform you that you may have been in contact. So, if you didn't get a call from DHHS, then you are fine answering No.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

Unless you were contacted by your state DHHS stating that you have potentially been in contact with someone that tested positive for covid, you have no clue if you have been. No need to mix speculation with fact. It is DHHS responsibility to inform you that you may have been in contact. So, if you didn't get a call from DHHS, then you are fine answering No.

So you're saying that if your brother visited you, then a few days later told you he'd had a positive test you believe it's ethical to say "no" unless your state health department contacted you?

The right thing to do is be honest about it.  If you've been vaccinated chances are extremely slim that you'd test positive, but why lie about it. 

• Like 3

So if your wife tests positive for covid, you have to wait for a state agency to contact you or it didn't happen? You are exposed in another state, but because your state agency doesn't notify you, it didn't happen? If there is an outbreak on your cruise ship but a state agency doesn't notify you, it never happened? No wonder the pandemic isn't going away.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

So if your wife tests positive for covid, you have to wait for a state agency to contact you or it didn't happen? You are exposed in another state, but because your state agency doesn't notify you, it didn't happen? If there is an outbreak on your cruise ship but a state agency doesn't notify you, it never happened? No wonder the pandemic isn't going away.

Didn't you see the Cheetos commercial, "It wasn't me!"?

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

You get tested at port at your expense so have a back up plan.  There was a separate area set at the terminal with people who seem to be medical present

I'm not sure this is true, as someone posted a thread she answered yes and was tested, but she didnt pay for the testing. Carnival did the test at their expense. She had been out of the country in the last 14 days, yes.

4 hours ago, groundloop said:

So you're saying that if your brother visited you, then a few days later told you he'd had a positive test you believe it's ethical to say "no" unless your state health department contacted you?

The right thing to do is be honest about it.  If you've been vaccinated chances are extremely slim that you'd test positive, but why lie about it. 

I would be really careful about this one. Just because your brother visited you and then later tested positive does not mean you were exposed. Contact tracing only looks back 48 hours prior to when the person began experiencing symptoms or tested positive if no symptoms. So if you brother visited you before then, you would not be considered a close contact.

I have no idea if the personnel at the port have the training to ask the right questions or if it’s just a standard to turn people away if they answer yes. I hope it’s not the latter. You could certainly have been around someone with Covid in the past two weeks and also not have been exposed.

I think that with a situation like this, if I had not been exposed I would either feel comfortable saying no, or call carnival to find out what would happen at the dock if I said yes. If they just turn people away, may as well just reschedule your cruise than show up and get turned away.

18 minutes ago, grumpyjr88 said:

I really don't understand some of the comments... If you are in a shared space with someone who tests positive a few days later then you absolutely have an ethical obligation to answer truthfully and just get tested. 

I don't think it's been confirmed that if you answer "yes", it's simply a question of getting tested. In fact, I very much believe you will be denied boarding. Everyone going to the ship has already been tested. The point of asking if you have had an exposure to someone with covid is to see if you are higher risk. It can take 14 days from exposure to develop sufficient viral load to test positive. So it would be irresponsible for them to board someone in this case simply because they took two tests instead of one. 

I agree that you should answer truthfully if you have been exposed. But, You can been around someone a "few days ago" that has since tested positive and NOT been exposed. And I have no idea if the cruise lines make that distinction. 

So no one wants to answer the actual question just pass judgement on what should or should not be done.  The question was: if I am vaccinated and I am exposed to someone with covid but I still test negative within the 2 day window but answer Yes to the question about being around someone with Covid in the last 14 days, what happens?   Am I not allowed to cruise?  Do they require another test at the port, etc.. does anyone know?

My sister answered yes to one of the pre screening questions, and they tested her again before she was allowed to board even though she had a negative test from earlier in the week.  Her test, however, was not within the current testing window.  I believe there was no cost to her.

Edited by DanvilleCruiser

17 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

I don't think it's been confirmed that if you answer "yes", it's simply a question of getting tested. In fact, I very much believe you will be denied boarding. Everyone going to the ship has already been tested. The point of asking if you have had an exposure to someone with covid is to see if you are higher risk. It can take 14 days from exposure to develop sufficient viral load to test positive. So it would be irresponsible for them to board someone in this case simply because they took two tests instead of one. 

I agree that you should answer truthfully if you have been exposed. But, You can been around someone a "few days ago" that has since tested positive and NOT been exposed. And I have no idea if the cruise lines make that distinction. 

What you believe isn't fact. 

17 minutes ago, Cowboys4ever said:

So no one wants to answer the actual question just pass judgement on what should or should not be done.  The question was: if I am vaccinated and I am exposed to someone with covid but I still test negative within the 2 day window but answer Yes to the question about being around someone with Covid in the last 14 days, what happens?   Am I not allowed to cruise?  Do they require another test at the port, etc.. does anyone know?

I did answer... Answer honestly and get retested. 

14 minutes ago, DanvilleCruiser said:

My sister answered yes to one of the pre screening questions, and they tested her again for she was allowed to board even though she had a negative test from earlier in the week.  Her test, however, was not within the current testing window.  I believe there was no cost to her.

Which prescreening question did she answer yes to? Was it this one?

7 minutes ago, grumpyjr88 said:

I did answer... Answer honestly and get retested. 

Do you know for  a fact that if you say yes to THIS question that it's simply get a second test?

Also, does anyone know the wording the question. Is it literally have you "been around" someone, or is it have you "been exposed" to someone. Because those are two very different questions. Exposures have set time limits and definitions, you can "be around" someone in the last two weeks and not be exposed. 

Edited by sanger727

Just now, DanvilleCruiser said:

I don’t think so.  But hopefully the process is similar.

I really don't know. My duties at work for the last year have included being the go between with my workplace and the health department for everything covid related.

Two facts I know from this:

1. If you have had an exposure (at least pre-vaccine) any negative test is disregarded for 14 days. Because within 14 days you can be carrying and reproducing the virus, and simply have too low a viral load to test positive YET.

2. If you have an exposure AND develop symptoms, you are treated as if you have covid despite a negative test. So, it would be very risky to allow someone with a confirmed exposure on simply due to them having a negative test. If they develop cough/sore throat mid cruise. They have to be treated as covid positive regardless of their test results. 

Just now, grumpyjr88 said:

I know for a fact that everyone who has posted they answered yes have also reported they were allowed to board after being retested. 

I dunno... Maybe they're lying. 💁‍♀️

I've only seen people say yes to the questions about international travel or having certain symptoms. In the Health department world, and exposure means something very different than either of those. I hope that it's true that you would be allowed to board. I am just skeptical until someone posts that they answered yes to this specific question and were still allowed to board.

54 minutes ago, DanvilleCruiser said:

My sister answered yes to one of the pre screening questions, and they tested her again before she was allowed to board even though she had a negative test from earlier in the week.  Her test, however, was not within the current testing window.  I believe there was no cost to her.

This dude literally posted in this thread... 

It seems like you're advocating for people to lie on the questionnaire. 😳

33 minutes ago, grumpyjr88 said:

he already said that she did not answer yes to the question of whether you had been exposed to someone with Covid. I haven’t seen anyone post yet what happens if you say yes to that specific question. I also haven’t seen anyone post yes to ‘have you tested positive for Covid in the last 14 days’ and still board. Not all pre-screening questions are equal and will have the same result.

if I KNEW I had not been exposed to Covid, I would not say that I had. Even if I had ‘been around’ someone who later tested positive.

Edited by sanger727

1 hour ago, grumpyjr88 said:

Not sure if you’re replying to my post, but no, I am NOT advocating for people to lie on the questionnaire.  I am simply relaying my sister’s experience.  She answered truthfully, and was tested by Carnival.  Took about an hour out of her day, and she had no problem with the process.

FWIW, I would not have a problem with the process either.

Edited by DanvilleCruiser
  • Like 2