Solo traveler on Oasis 10/5

jstazy

Covid made me do it! The past 18 months have been a rollercoaster and I decided life is too short to wait around. Booked a solo room at a CRAZY discount!! Can anyone tell me how solo cruising is on this boat? It seems to be half capacity with a TON of things to do. How likely am I to run into other solos? Are they seating single travelers with bigger tables at dinner? My husband thinks Im crazy but Im soooo ready!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jstazy said:

Covid made me do it! The past 18 months have been a rollercoaster and I decided life is too short to wait around. Booked a solo room at a CRAZY discount!! Can anyone tell me how solo cruising is on this boat? It seems to be half capacity with a TON of things to do. How likely am I to run into other solos? Are they seating single travelers with bigger tables at dinner? My husband thinks Im crazy but Im soooo ready!

I think you mean 10.03 sailing for Oasis?

Last I heard they are not seating solo cruisers with others.  Tables in mdr are for those you are traveling with only.  But i suspect you will see plenty other solo cruisers and may be able to arrange a table next to each other.  Check with mdr host when you board 

I am planning to go solo too- tried to book for on Independence 3 night for about $380 for a balcony guarantee but guess I waited a day too long and now it’s $200 more! Looks like they weren’t charging for single supplement and now they are- guess my plans are changing. Did you get the super low- no supplement rate? 

I cruise solo quite frequently and just got off Adventure last week as a solo.  I was seated by myself at the MDR, but the wait staff made it a really enjoyable experience.  I showed up at 8 and they’d have me out of there by 830!  

If you want to connect with other people, the games shows and schooner bar activities are a good way to do that. 

• Like 1

On 9/6/2021 at 2:47 PM, Sunshine3601 said:

Last I heard they are not seating solo cruisers with others.  Tables in mdr are for those you are traveling with only.  But i suspect you will see plenty other solo cruisers and may be able to arrange a table next to each other.  Check with mdr host when you board 

Are there many people who go solo? I am thinking about it but I have only cruised twice before not solo.

5 hours ago, Sunnydelite1972 said:

Are there many people who go solo? I am thinking about it but I have only cruised twice before not solo.

I've done a couple solo ones and I've got 2 upcoming this year (short ones) because the price was amazing and the double point promotion.  I'm starting to get dirty looks from my wife but its because the solos i've taken that WE are diamond, soon to be diamond plus.  I like to say, I'm taking one for the team thanks to level matching 😄

Edited by Rogueperson
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, GateGuardian said:

I'm on the Oasis in December sailing solo as well! Glad I booked it before the sale was gone! Looking at the current dailies, looks like it will be very hard to meet other people.

Do it in advance on your roll call.  I always ask about sharing a specialty dinner or 2 and usually find company. Be open to couples joining you, too.  Doesn't have to be all solos.

I haven't seen a solo meeting listed in the Harmony dailies despite listings for other special interest groups.  Ask your activities director when you board the ship about setting it up.

For all the other posters here with questions on solo cruising, there is a whole forum section devoted to the topic here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/279-solo-cruisers/

Edited by Steeler Nation At Sea

On 9/8/2021 at 6:02 PM, Another_Critic said:

I took advantage of the solo pricing, but I'm not traveling solo.  Got connecting cabins = 2 BR, 2 bath, double balcony (with a walk around divider).  🙂

Booked 4 cruises. 😁

You actually could have.  You could have put the one with the highest point solo in one of those cabins and booked the rest in the other room.  Then once you got aboard, shuffle the sleeping arrangements back to what you want.  You get extra points for the solo, and everyone else is in the other room.  A friend of mine did exactly this.  He's got his solo room and in the connecting room, he put his wife and 2 kids.  Came out to about the same price if he put two and two in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rogueperson said:

You actually could have.  You could have put the one with the highest point solo in one of those cabins and booked the rest in the other room.  Then once you got aboard, shuffle the sleeping arrangements back to what you want.  You get extra points for the solo, and everyone else is in the other room.  A friend of mine did exactly this.  He's got his solo room and in the connecting room, he put his wife and 2 kids.  Came out to about the same price if he put two and two in.

Two of us are traveling.  Instead of booking one cabin with two people, we booked two connecting cabins with one person each.  Same total price, but double the bathrooms, beds, balcony, closets, etc.  And each of us get the extra solo points, so quadruple points with the double points promo. 

Edited by Another_Critic

2 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Two of us are traveling.  Instead of booking one cabin with two people, we booked two connecting cabins with one person each.  Same total price, but double the bathrooms, beds, balcony, closets, etc.  And each of us get the extra solo points, so quadruple points with the double points promo. 

I assumed you had a group.  That's what i'm doing in 2 weeks as well.  If i had another cruise to book, I would have done that as well.  However, both cruises i'm already booked on, the previous sale for some reason did not affect and the price is still 500-1000 MORE than what i booked for EACH, so the points aren't worth that much, i'm already getting normal double on those and if all my cruises move forward, I will hit 176 points into Diamond Plus by the end of next year thanks to the solos i have this year.

On 9/6/2021 at 10:47 AM, Sunshine3601 said:

I was seated with other for specialty dining like Chef’s Table. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rogueperson said:

... and if all my cruises move forward, I will hit 176 points into Diamond Plus by the end of next year thanks to the solos i have this year.

Hopefully you will be celebrating your D+ status by the end of next year.  🙂

If any of my currently booked cruises sail, I will move to D+ (need 12 points).  And if all of them sail, I will be 3 points short of 340 (for the 50% solo discount).  Hopefully I will reach 340 points before I want to use the solo discount.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Hopefully you will be celebrating your D+ status by the end of next year.  🙂

If any of my currently booked cruises sail, I will move to D+ (need 12 points).  And if all of them sail, I will be 3 points short of 340 (for the 50% solo discount).  Hopefully I will reach 340 points before I want to use the solo discount.

There's nothing like JUST sliding into the next category.  I came into Diamond (on a solo cruise) at exactly 80.  Not exactly 175, but close enough.

• Haha 1

On 9/6/2021 at 12:26 PM, jstazy said:

Yes, to second others, please definitely stop by the roll call! As far as things to do, there is always a lot for a solo cruiser - there are always activities, there are pools, even the ship itself is a sight to marvel and explore. I bet there are going to be quite a few solos on board - I've already come across at least ten.

See you on the roll call page 🙂

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/8/2021 at 5:21 PM, GateGuardian said:

I'm on the Oasis in December sailing solo as well! Glad I booked it before the sale was gone! Looking at the current dailies, looks like it will be very hard to meet other people.

Oh my Yes !! there are a LOT of Solos - just left INDY in Galveston - Solo B2B - and on Turnaround in our "consecutive Cruiser" meeting - there may have been 70 people staying aboard and a LOT were singles - judging from the seatings.  I met some other cruise line Solo ladies in Cozumel, at Nachi Cocom - we had SO much fun !    I have several more cruises booked Solo and think I have at least 2 more "Sets" of B2B - or Side to Side - like Nov 3 on Oasis out of Miami then a day later 11/7 on Allure out of Ft Lauderdale - and FYI they had "singles meet ups" in one bar late at night - I skipped that  - Cannot wait to get back on Oasis even for 4 nights, and really anticipating my first sailing on Allure - but have one ore B2B booked on HER late March !  Yeaaa - Love Solo cruising -