Penn Station Newark

kpark895

I'm trying to find a list of stores/restaurants located in Penn Station in Newark, as the hotel we are staying at the night before cruising)Penn Station Hilton Doubletree) is not going to have an open restaurant/bar.  I could swear I did find something a few weeks ago, but I guess I didn't save it, and no matter what query I use to google this info, I get nothing helpful.  Anyone have a website?

23 minutes ago, kpark895 said:

I'm trying to find a list of stores/restaurants located in Penn Station in Newark, as the hotel we are staying at the night before cruising)Penn Station Hilton Doubletree) is not going to have an open restaurant/bar.  I could swear I did find something a few weeks ago, but I guess I didn't save it, and no matter what query I use to google this info, I get nothing helpful.  Anyone have a website?

The hotel's website has a list of restaurants and other amenities nearby. Of course you need to check with the listed establishments to see if they're open and hours of operation:

https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/ewrhddt-doubletree-newark-penn-station/explore/

You can do a search on Tripadvisor:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/RestaurantsNear-g46671-d12236360-Newark_Penn_Station-Newark_New_Jersey.html

Or search on Yelp:

https://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=Restaurants&find_near=newark-penn-station-newark

Edited by njhorseman

1 hour ago, Got2Cruise said:

You most likely can get food delivered thru uber eats or similar also. 

Thanks, but not what I'm looking for. We get to the hotel before noon, and will then go exploring in NYC for a while.  Looking to get something to eat to bring back for dinner and also grab a few beers for the room at night.  Also breakfast or some sort of coffee in the morning.

49 minutes ago, kpark895 said:

Thanks, but not what I'm looking for. We get to the hotel before noon, and will then go exploring in NYC for a while.  Looking to get something to eat to bring back for dinner and also grab a few beers for the room at night.  Also breakfast or some sort of coffee in the morning.

Gotcha! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kpark895 said:

I'd grab something in NYC then for dinner.

12 hours ago, kpark895 said:

I'm trying to find a list of stores/restaurants located in Penn Station in Newark, as the hotel we are staying at the night before cruising) Penn Station Hilton Doubletree) is not going to have an open restaurant/bar.

At Pennsylvania Station itself, the only thing that you're going to find for dinner is McDonald's and the like (open most nights until 1:00 a.m., Sundays until midnight). For drinks you can find both a news stand and a wine and liquor store at the station; and for breakfast I would suggest going to Zaro's Bakery for take-out (weekdays only, 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.), also in the station. But if you're looking for something more substantial for dinner, where you eat at a restaurant with service (or even to take back to the hotel), you will need to go elsewhere. Most convenient, as well as being a good restaurant, is Don Pepe, an old-school classic Spanish restaurant one block north of your hotel on McCarter Highway. Open until 10:00 p.m., Friday and Saturday nights until 11:00 p.m. Otherwise, the best restaurants in Newark are Portuguese, located in what is referred to as the Ironbound section (so named for being surrounded by railroads), on the opposite side of Pennsylvania Station from your hotel. There is a good guide to the many restaurants in this area from Eater, and you should not go wrong with any of them. I have personally been to Don Pepe (already noted), Fornos of Spain (open until 10:30 p.m., Friday and Saturday nights until 11:00 p.m.), and Iberia Restaurants (open until 11:00 p.m., Friday and Saturday nights until 1:00 a.m.), the three closest to your hotel, and I can give each a thumbs up as a place to eat and enjoy. The most-distant restaurant, Iberia Restaurants, is a 7-minute walk from your hotel. Newark is a wonderful city for its Iberian cuisine, and hopefully you will get the opportunity to enjoy it.

Edited by GTJ