Krazy Lobster

Jeal

20 minutes ago, Larrytheg said:

We are planning on going to the Krazy lobster in November 27th  cruise  NCL.  Sounds like the beach we go to in Puerto Vallarta . So one thing I see taxi ride is $4.00 or $8.00 there will be a bunch of us going together . We have always negotiated cab rides in Mexico  . 

The two times I've been to Krazy Lobster in Oct 2021 and May 2022, the taxis are a set $4.00 per person.  The massages on the beach are $10 for 30 minutes or $20 for an hour.  I did negotiate for some of the souvenirs from the vendors.  We had a great, relaxing time there.  I hope you and your friends have a wonderful time as well!

28 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:
53 minutes ago, Larrytheg said:

The two times I've been to Krazy Lobster in Oct 2021 and May 2022, the taxis are a set $4.00 per person.  The massages on the beach are $10 for 30 minutes or $20 for an hour.  I did negotiate for some of the souvenirs from the vendors.  We had a great, relaxing time there.  I hope you and your friends have a wonderful time as well!

I, too, am planning on the Krazy Lobster at the end of 2022.  Have you been to any other spots on Mahahual?  Is Krazy Lobster your #1 pick?  Are we safe in assuming the ice cubes and produce is safe at the various restaurants on Mahahual?  Thank You!

1 minute ago, Ellaleah said:

I, too, am planning on the Krazy Lobster at the end of 2022.  Have you been to any other spots on Mahahual?  Is Krazy Lobster your #1 pick?  Are we safe in assuming the ice cubes and produce is safe at the various restaurants on Mahahual?  Thank You!

I have only been to Krazy Lobster but if I ported in Costa Maya I would go there again.  My mom and I had no issues after having a lobster lunch and a couple frapped up margaritas.  My girls (20 & 22) had no issues after our lunch and margaritas.  I wouldn't know about the other establishments on Mahahual.  Have a great time!

Will be our first time in Costa Maya , so Krazy lobster in Costa Maya. Just a relaxing beach stop.  I broke my shoulder in May so no vigorous excursions for me. .  For the last ten years before Covid we would go to puerto Vallarta every February and just hang out  on  the beach play cards eat food and have drinks . we had our favorite spots where they saved us lounge chairs and as long as we spent equivalent of$20.00 per day they were happy . So Krazy  Lobster seems like this place . 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Larrytheg said:

We are planning on going to the Krazy lobster in November 27th  cruise  NCL.  Sounds like the beach we go to in Puerto Vallarta . So one thing I see taxi ride is $4.00 or $8.00 there will be a bunch of us going together . We have always negotiated cab rides in Mexico  . 

Let us know how you get on trying to negotiate with the taxi driver. 

Taxi fare hikes in Costa Maya since the re-opening has been one of the most disappointing 

aspects of this port considering the 5 minute ride to town  it isn’t that long ago that it was $2pp which became $8 per cab for up to 4.

The claim is the port charges to enter the port but that doesn’t explain why taxis outside the port want to charge the same price. There has always been transport corruption between the port and town. I am not sure there is even a taxi union in  Mahahual with a printed tariffe although I haven’t actually asked to see it. For 2 of us it doesn’t really make any difference, if I had a bigger party I would  certainly consider trying to haggle outside the port gate.

However at the end of the day I feel sorry for the local businesses in town struggling to rebuild because I would certainly think twice about going into town on every visit we have made this year if I had a family of 4. The facilities in town for a family do not warrant that ridiculous fare.

3 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Let us know how you get on trying to negotiate with the taxi driver. 

Taxi fare hikes in Costa Maya since the re-opening has been one of the most disappointing 

aspects of this port considering the 5 minute ride to town  it isn’t that long ago that it was $2pp which became $8 per cab for up to 4.

The claim is the port charges to enter the port but that doesn’t explain why taxis outside the port want to charge the same price. There has always been transport corruption between the port and town. I am not sure there is even a taxi union in  Mahahual with a printed tariffe although I haven’t actually asked to see it. For 2 of us it doesn’t really make any difference, if I had a bigger party I would  certainly consider trying to haggle outside the port gate.

However at the end of the day I feel sorry for the local businesses in town struggling to rebuild because I would certainly think twice about going into town on every visit we have made this year if I had a family of 4. The facilities in town for a family do not warrant that ridiculous fare.

Do the taxis there expect tips?

19 hours ago, Ellaleah said:

Do the taxis there expect tips?

LOL! Difficult for me to say and I am probably not the best person to ask!

My personal opinion, as already expressed, is “no way” if I paid them $16. I would have small change and that would be it. Since we are generally two people we insist on a taxi just for the two of us now, no sharing, and pay $8, which has been the official rate per taxi for up to 4 people for some time. In that case we may add on $1-2 depending on circumstances like @crewsweeper. Once this year the taxi only charged $7 so they got extra! 

Taxis in Mexico don’t actually expect tips other than major tourist areas where most clientele are American and fares are already priced above normal rates.

I don’t have much local knowledge of Mahahual but as a frequent land visitor  to Cozumel we get much lower rates when we are staying on the island and I am sure the same thing happens in Mahahual and probably worse considering the short distances involved.

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, tracymtx said:

This is our first time at Costa Maya. We are coming in on Royal Caribbean. Is Krazy Lobster walkable from the RCCL port? If it is walkable - we don't mind walking - is it a safe walk?

Thank you!

Google maps has it at about 2 miles not including the long pier and the port itself.

Perfectly safe - you can do a virtual walk the whole way on google maps. Whether it is worth it in the heat would be a personal decision.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Google maps has it at about 2 miles not including the long pier and the port itself.

Perfectly safe - you can do a virtual walk the whole way on google maps. Whether it is worth it in the heat would be a personal decision.

I have only taken a taxi.  To me, $4 per person was worth not having to make a hot dusty walk.  Have a wonderful time at The Krazy Lobster!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tracymtx said:

This is our first time at Costa Maya. We are coming in on Royal Caribbean. Is Krazy Lobster walkable from the RCCL port? If it is walkable - we don't mind walking - is it a safe walk?

Thank you!

Remember to bring cash for the beach massages.  $20 for an hour, so awesome! If you take a taxi, they only take cash as well.  The Krazy Lobster takes credit cards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ninjacat123 said:

I have only taken a taxi.  To me, $4 per person was worth not having to make a hot dusty walk.  Have a wonderful time at The Krazy Lobster!

I
wasn’t planning on walking - my walking days in that heat are over! 

$4 pp doesn’t sound much but $16 per taxi for a family is ridiculous for that distance. I would seriously consider staying in port, something I would never have done previously.

52 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

I
wasn’t planning on walking - my walking days in that heat are over! 

$4 pp doesn’t sound much but $16 per taxi for a family is ridiculous for that distance. I would seriously consider staying in port, something I would never have done previously.

Sorry, I was responding to tracymtx.  Clicked on your post, oops! 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, nyctravelerwithkids said:

Do we need to make a reservation to go to the Krazy Lobster or walk-in is OK? I remember going to Tropicante and we contacted them 2-3 weeks in advance to request the specific chairs and space on the beach. How does it work in Krazy Lobster?

I went to The Krazy Lobster FB page and messaged the owner Mauricio asking if they would be open the day we were in port.  He responded in a timely fashion and asked how many in our party.  I do think you could just go to The Krazy Lobster without contacting them but it gave me a sense of comfort.

Have fun and get a hour long massage for $20!!

• 1 month later...
On 10/10/2021 at 9:36 AM, ninjacat123 said:

Yes!  My mom and I split the lobster with butter ($20) and it was very tasty. When the taxi dropped us off I thought "oh dear this looks a bit sketchy" but we were greeted by a server and walked to a table in the shade.  Very pretty palapas and palm trees kept us cool as Gabriel our waiter brought samples of lime margarita.  We ordered a large margarita ($7) and enjoyed the beach breeze.  There were vendors milling around but they were respectful when we said "no thank you".  I did buy a t shirt for my DH from a vendor and bought 2 souvenir coffee mugs and a plate from the shop near the rest room.  Had a nice conversation with Juan about his local church that he is the pastor.  I also had a terrific hour long massage on the beach on a massage table by a female masseuse for $20.

Mauricio came by and was charming as he made sure we were comfortable.  

Next time we go to Costa Maya we will go back to The Krazy Lobster!

lobster.jpg

beach.jpg

view.jpg

Do they have other flavors of margaritas?  How much are they?

23 minutes ago, piggiepuff said:

Do they have other flavors of margaritas?  How much are they?

The large margarita was $7 (in the photo) and we ordered lime.  I think there was mango and strawberry but not positive.  Very smooth (not chunks of ice) and tasty.  The waiter brings over a taster of margarita after you sit down at a table.