Any idea what Royal would do in this situation?

We have an Alaskan cruise booked for next June.  We have 3 people booked in a large balcony room (myself, my husband, and our 15 year old son).  According to the deck key, the room we have can hold up to four people.  A friend of mine thinks she would like to come on this cruise with us, which would be great.  I was thinking about booking my son in her room with her, in order for her to not have to pay the single supplement.  It is slightly more expensive to book him in her inside room than our balcony (a price difference she would cover), but significantly less expensive than her paying for the entire inside room. 

I had a couple concerns about this.  The first is would they allow my husband and I to keep this same room that allows up to four, even if we are only two people?  Would they allow me to book my son in with my friend?  Would they care that my son would then likely stay in our room?  We're hoping to book across the hall from each other, so we would likely have the same room steward (from a tip perspective). 

I appreciate any insight anyone can give us!

Thank you!

46 minutes ago, Chai_Tea_4_Me said:

We have an Alaskan cruise booked for next June.  We have 3 people booked in a large balcony room (myself, my husband, and our 15 year old son).  According to the deck key, the room we have can hold up to four people.  A friend of mine thinks she would like to come on this cruise with us, which would be great.  I was thinking about booking my son in her room with her, in order for her to not have to pay the single supplement.  It is slightly more expensive to book him in her inside room than our balcony (a price difference she would cover), but significantly less expensive than her paying for the entire inside room. 

I had a couple concerns about this.  The first is would they allow my husband and I to keep this same room that allows up to four, even if we are only two people?  Would they allow me to book my son in with my friend?  Would they care that my son would then likely stay in our room?  We're hoping to book across the hall from each other, so we would likely have the same room steward (from a tip perspective). 

Thank you!

There have been reports of people being moved from a 4 person room to a 2 person room in the past if they take people off the booking

• Like 2

Removing your Son from your cabin will probably initiate a reprice on your cabin and a good chance cabin would need to be reassigned. 

The end of August/beginning of September they had several ships offering solo cabin prices at amazing rates (so good that some people booked 2 solo cabins instead of one for hubby and wife).    You may want to keep an eye out for another one of these sales (it wasn't advertised - but many of us were finding out by doing reprices on a regular basis). 

see if you price up your cabin category today for 2 adults if it will let you and what is the price vs. 3 people that you booked?   

Removing the 3rd person will not cause a refare of the first 2 passengers in your room.  But you will need to be across or next to the room that your son is in.  That may or may not cause you to move rooms. If you have to change categories to meet the rules, then you would pay prevailing rate on the new category. 

22 minutes ago, JsMom2 said:

Removing the 3rd person will not cause a refare of the first 2 passengers in your room

It is very possible RC will re-price the remaining two in a cabin that holds four.

Has the solo person had her cabin priced yet? As others have said, there has been some great solo pricing in that RC didn't charge the single supplement cost. On a few of our upcoming sailings we (re-)booked two solo/connecting balconies for space, the additional bath and because I knew my husband needs to be online or on the phone taking care of business and I didn't want to be a party to all those conversations!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chai_Tea_4_Me said:

Thank you!

We actually were going to do something similar for a NextCruise reservation we wanted to make onboard our cruise last week. I suggested it and the agent said he would not only be able to not allow it, but he said if they found out, they would charge us extra $$ on our onboard accounts to accommodate. For what, not sure, but he was pretty serious about it.

Book a ghost person in your friends cabin. Just before final payments. drop the third person off your cabin and change the ghost person to your son's name.

Highly doubt they would change any cabin numbers at that time., Because of  covid times when ships aren't full anyway. Once onboard any of you can sleep anywhere.

Edited by Jimbo

11 hours ago, JsMom2 said:

Removing the 3rd person will not cause a refare of the first 2 passengers in your room.  But you will need to be across or next to the room that your son is in.  That may or may not cause you to move rooms. If you have to change categories to meet the rules, then you would pay prevailing rate on the new category. 

That is not true. As long as the 15yo is booked in the cabin with an adult there is no restriction on cabin location.