Excursions - Kahului, Hawaii

Syracusefan44

1 hour ago, ProfMHC said:

When they changed ports they said within two weeks. That was well over a month ago

I believe that was stated prior to Hawaii cruises being cancelled thru 2021. We were booked on the Nov 5th voyage on the Grand.  Maybe now, they feel that they more time to figure it out.  Also, Hawaii could be cancelled beyond 2021.  Time will tell...

There is not much to do near the Kahului Port except a Krispy Kreme, Guri Guri Ice Cream, and a small mall with CVS/aka Longs within walking distance.  

These are my guesses:

1.  A $huttle to Lahaina for you to spend the day on your own.

2.  Tour of the area (Iao Needle and maybe a few small towns)

3.  Road to Hana (closer to the port than Lahaina)

4.  Haleakala Drive (closer to the port than Lahaina)

5.  Local Tasting Tours/Lavender Farms/UpCountry

Easier to rent a car since the airport is closer, but rentals are very expensive at this time.

• Like 2

I believe booking a helicopter excursion might be easy. On my first cruise to Hawaii someone I met on the ship rented a car thinking he would have to drive to the helicopter tour location in Kahului. It turned out the helicopter tour was a short walk to the airport so he just canceled his rental car. This information might be helpful. Tim

On my first visit to Maui, we did a combination helicopter/driving tour to Hana. Helicopter in one direction and a driving tour with stops in the other direction.  I remember a lunch and stops at a swimming hole with a waterfall and a horticultural center that grew flowers for export where they gave us a gorgeous bouquet of tropical flowers to take home.  That way we did that windy road but only in one direction 😉

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MishelleMcc said:

I'm am interested too!  I found a whale watching tour that had some good reviews...  But am interested to see what Princess comes up with.

Whale watching is going to be tricky if you don't do it with Princess.  There are two locations on the "other" side of Maui.  I would be very reluctant to travel that distance without Princess.  Yes, Pacific Whale Foundation puts on a good cruise.  But they normally have a morning and afternoon tour.  You won't make it in time for the morning.  Then getting back in a timely manner for the afternoon may be tricky.  Hoping @Astro Flyerwill chime in about travel distance/time.

Still no word or Kahului excursions.  I keep looking.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/16/2021 at 12:22 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

There is not much to do near the Kahului Port except a Krispy Kreme, Guri Guri Ice Cream, and a small mall with CVS/aka Longs within walking distance.  

Don’t forget Tasty Crust in Wailuku. Admittedly not within reasonable walking distance but oh so worth a short ride!!😋

Another week without a single excursion posted. And now Hawaii cruises through December have been cancelled. I’m starting to get a bad feeling about our January cruise. Seems to be little motivation for them to get these posted for us to purchase? Itinerary was changed 8/6 and we were told new excursions would be posted within two weeks. Could it be that more cruises will be scrapped? 🤔

Edited by ProfMHC
Wrong date
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ProfMHC said:

Could it be that more cruises will be scrapped? 🤔

Obviously no one knows that answer but the current first NCL cruise within Hawaii is scheduled for 1/22/22. There has been no public discussion here in Hawaii on any news source about reopening to the cruise industry.

There were many months of public debate & news coverage before Hawaii finally reopened to air travel so without any public discussion in my opinion Hawaii won’t reopen to cruising anytime soon. I think Hawaii is more like Australia & NZ and thus don’t see Hawaii restarting anytime soon & depending upon how the pandemic goes possibly not until Fall 2022.

I know that’s not what any cruiser wants to read & hopefully I am wrong however based upon how Hawaii & many of it’s residents are dealing with the travel industry during the pandemic I fear that unfortunately it might be true. 😟

I hate to burst anyone's bubble, but the news report is NOT a confirmation of policy. In the same breath, the governor said more restrictions would be reinstated if the numbers do not improve.  It does refer to air travel, but doesn't mention anything the return of cruise ships.  

Princess was late in the game in cancelling November/December cruises.  Everyone should be watching the return of NCL around the island cruises before packing.  

I've been looking and haven't found a single news announcement regarding the resumption of cruising to the islands.  It is a wait and see.

As for Kahului excursions, Princess' one week time line is infinity.

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 9/16/2021 at 5:12 AM, ProfMHC said:

When they changed ports they said within two weeks. That was well over a month ago. Similar issue with Dublin change to Dun Laoghaire — no excursions yet.

Let me count the days since 9/16/21.  Today is 10/5/21.  If my math is correct, that is over 2 weeks.  I am not being disrespectful to the messenger.  But I don't think Princess has a clue about time.