Warning to Women Traveling Solo

momwithboys

I’m currently on the Viking Venus, a woman alone.  To my shock and utter horror, I woke from a nap (in the nude) to a male crew member on my balcony looking at me!!!  I am the survivor of sexual assault and this was terribly triggering for me.  I complained to guest relations in tears, and apparently they forgot to put in the daily that they’d be cleaning the balconies that day.  Total invasion of my privacy!!!  Freaked me out.    They said they’d change the policy.  But be forewarned, on Viking the view into your cabin might be compromised so if you plan to be nude or intimate with your partner, you might be putting on a show!  Totally unacceptable.  I’m trying to get over it and enjoy the rest of my cruise.

They cleaned our balconies on Sky while we were in the room, but they very carefully did not look into our room because I was watching them. My neighbor spotted them standing on his balcony, looking toward my balcony and cleaning it.

The funny part is I looked out the door and it was raining buckets! We were on the verge of canceling our excursion because it was raining so hard. Then I saw the hose dangling down. It was the staff cleaning the balcony above ours. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, momwithboys said:

I’m currently on the Viking Venus, a woman alone.  To my shock and utter horror, I woke from a nap (in the nude) to a male crew member on my balcony looking at me!!!  I am the survivor of sexual assault and this was terribly triggering for me.  I complained to guest relations in tears, and apparently they forgot to put in the daily that they’d be cleaning the balconies that day.  Total invasion of my privacy!!!  Freaked me out.    They said they’d change the policy.  But be forewarned, on Viking the view into your cabin might be compromised so if you plan to be nude or intimate with your partner, you might be putting on a show!  Totally unacceptable.  I’m trying to get over it and enjoy the rest of my cruise.

Dear @momwithboys,

We're thankful to learn you have spoken with a Viking representative on board and appreciate you bringing this experience to our immediate awareness. We extend our sincere apology for your discomfort and assure you that this is not our typical standard of care toward our guests' privacy. If you would like to share more about your experience, we invite you to email tellus@vikingcruises.com with more information upon your return. We welcome that opportunity to more closely discuss your feedback.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Viking

• Like 3

This is common practice on all passenger ships. The crew must access the balconies to keep the areas washed down and clean. At any time, if you want privacy, close the blackout curtains.

Yes, Viking does normally promulgates information in the Viking Daily when the crew are cleaning the balconies.

• Like 3

I'm not saying this is what happened in this situation, but in general, I find it hard to believe that some people apparently don't even read the Dailies.  When we were outside Heimaey, Iceland, someone who ate breakfast near us asked with a surprise why it appeared we had stopped.  We told her we were tendering there.  She had absolutely no idea that it was a tender stop. There is so much good information in the Dailies; wish everyone would at least skim them for basic info.   

• Like 8

1 hour ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

I'm not saying this is what happened in this situation, but in general, I find it hard to believe that some people apparently don't even read the Dailies.  When we were outside Heimaey, Iceland, someone who ate breakfast near us asked with a surprise why it appeared we had stopped.  We told her we were tendering there.  She had absolutely no idea that it was a tender stop. There is so much good information in the Dailies; wish everyone would at least skim them for basic info.   

The issue here isn't whether other people read or don't read the Dailies. Guest Relations told the poster here that the Viking staff who put together the Daily forgot to include the cleaning schedule for a particular day. As a result, the poster didn't know from that day's Daily that cleaning crew would be on her balcony.

Edited by DaveSJ711
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, zitsky said:

I guess most people don't bother to close the curtains because they enjoy the view of the ocean, landscape, stars, etc.

When I take a nap, I'm always enjoying the view from my window.

It's not like naps would involve things like closing your eyes or going unconscious to sleep.

Or so I've heard.

😉

• Haha 3

I found it very difficult to see into the stateroom from the balcony during daylight hours.  The steward was cleaning and I was checking to see if he had finished but couldn't tell.  We like leaving the curtains open but have been bothered at night with a neighbor leaving the balcony light on 24/7.

• Like 1

Whilst the OP was clearly very distressed by this incident, and I have no wish to minimise her distress, I do feel that the title of this thread is completely misleading.

It has nothing to do with being a woman or travelling solo.

It is all about a perceived invasion of privacy. This could equally apply to a man travelling solo or a couple or family travelling together.

It is valid to remind pax that crew may sometimes access their balcony.

It is not valid to imply that this is somehow an imposition specifically on solo women.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

On 9/17/2021 at 12:10 AM, Heidi13 said:

Yes, Viking does normally promulgates information in the Viking Daily when the crew are cleaning the balconies.

And with a separate note left in your cabin

On 9/18/2021 at 5:36 AM, Jazmyn49 said:

with a neighbor leaving the balcony light on 24/7.

Probably didn't even know that they could turn it off.

• Like 1

Thing to remember with any room in a hotel or on ship, is that housekeeping or maintenence can enter when you may not expect them. Particularly if you may not hear somebody at the door. Unless in the shower I aim to be covered, or have covering within grabbing distance 

10 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

Thing to remember with any room in a hotel or on ship, is that housekeeping or maintenence can enter when you may not expect them. Particularly if you may not hear somebody at the door. Unless in the shower I aim to be covered, or have covering within grabbing distance 

That's a good reason to sleep in pajamas.  You didn't say this, but we should not dismiss or blame anyone for their experience. It sounds like the OP had a bad combination of open curtains and sleeping in the nude.  Hopefully Viking does a better job with notification in the future.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, zitsky said:

That's a good reason to sleep in pajamas.  You didn't say this, but we should not dismiss or blame anyone for their experience. It sounds like the OP had a bad combination of open curtains and sleeping in the nude.  Hopefully Viking does a better job with notification in the future.

My comment was a general observation and warning, not a dig at the OP, I don't blame her for being upset/embarrassed, most people would be if caught unclothed. 

Thing is, on a ship, maintenance or repairs take priority. If something needs fixing, it will be fixed, regardless of notification. Notification is a courtesy, not a requirement. 

• Like 2

We have just come off the Viking Venus and it was announced in one of the morning messages by the cruise director that balcony cleaning would be carried out that day and our cabin steward then reminded us later that same morning. I do appreciate that not everyone listens to the broadcasts but we were certainly made aware of this event 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, diana11 said:

We have just come off the Viking Venus and it was announced in one of the morning messages by the cruise director that balcony cleaning would be carried out that day and our cabin steward then reminded us later that same morning. I do appreciate that not everyone listens to the broadcasts but we were certainly made aware of this event 

Was this a card in the room or announcement on the speaker?  I don't remember being able to hear the messages in the room.