Unable to enter USA- what are X offering

little britain

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

This article makes no mention of Canada. In early August, we began allowing fully vaccinated Americans to enter the country again, but the US didn’t reciprocate. If it now allows the UK and EU residents entry but continues to deny Canadians reciprocal entry, relations will definitely suffer.

This decision is to be updated on Sept 21.  You can't drive here, but you can fly here, so if you want to be here so badly, jump on a flight to FL, but be afraid, very afraid, they are a mess.  And may you elaborate on how relations will definitely suffer?

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Maybe only relations of those who live along the northern border and crossed frequently as a matter of course?

Yet, for the rest of the country does it matter all that much, at the moment when there are other ways to enter, maybe not easily e.g. flyingtt or train vs driving?

Not sure, yet what is your perspective on this?

bon voyage

As things stand right now, the only means of entry is flying. No driving, no trains, no buses. While flying is fine for those headed to a cruise, those who own properties in Florida or other warm destinations often need to drive so that they can take things with them and, more importantly, have their car while staying there.

Lots of people who live nowhere near the border used to drive into the US, either on shorter term vacations or on extended winter vacations (Snowbirds). I know several people who now have sold their RVs that they used exclusively to head south during the winter.

My perspective? While the ongoing restrictions are an annoyance, and resentment will increase if border reciprocity isn't reestablished, it seems to me that it's the US that is doing itself more harm than good. There's a significant economic loss, whether from tourism or cross-border shopping. Meantime, Americans are coming to Canada and spending there USD here.

Originally, the Administration was to make an announcement tomorrow on whether or not to extend the Canadian border restrictions for another month. Given today's pending announcement on the UK and EU, one would hope that they would make the announcement on Canada contemporaneously. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bo1953 said:

Maybe only relations of those who live along the northern border and crossed frequently as a matter of course?

Yet, for the rest of the country does it matter all that much, at the moment when there are other ways to enter, maybe not easily e.g. flying or train vs driving?

Not sure, yet what is your perspective on this?

bon voyage

I think you're forgetting all those who have purchased winter homes in the south, largely support the economy there, and can't cross driving.  And also those Americans who have purchased summer homes in the north.  The 'rest of the country' should care about their 'brothers'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

This article makes no mention of Canada. In early August, we began allowing fully vaccinated Americans to enter the country again, but the US didn’t reciprocate. If it now allows the UK and EU residents entry but continues to deny Canadians reciprocal entry, relations will definitely suffer.

Canadians have been welcome for some time.  Just not by car for some inexplicable reason. 

Just now, D C said:

Canadians have been welcome for some time.  Just not by car for some inexplicable reason. 

My thoughts are.....flying is from point A to B.  Driving involves, hotels, restaurants, gas stations, lots of interaction throughout during longer drives.  But....if all vaccinated peoples are crossing the border, as they are flying,  I would think it's safe.  JMO.

1 hour ago, Bo1953 said:

It has been announced that 'vaccinated' international travelers will be admitted starting sometime in November.

Details? I have not read yet, maybe someone else has.

bon voyage

This may include Canadians.  I surely hope so.  We live very close to the US border and used to go down there weekly.

34 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

My thoughts are.....flying is from point A to B.  Driving involves, hotels, restaurants, gas stations, lots of interaction throughout during longer drives.  But....if all vaccinated peoples are crossing the border, as they are flying,  I would think it's safe.  JMO.

Right. And it's not like people who are flying aren't then going to rent a car, stay in a hotel, eat at restaurants, etc...

Ask the residents and business owners of Point Roberts, Washington how they feel about the land border not reopening. They can't enter the rest of the U.S. by land without crossing the border into Canada and then crossing it again into the U.S. They are really stuck and have been since the border originally closed.

35 minutes ago, koolforkatz said:

Ask the residents and business owners of Point Roberts, Washington how they feel about the land border not reopening. They can't enter the rest of the U.S. by land without crossing the border into Canada and then crossing it again into the U.S. They are really stuck and have been since the border originally closed.

They've been free to cross the border in both directions since August 9th. And IIRC, there was some arrangement that enabled at least some of them to do so even earlier. Maybe the travel was deemed essential and therefore allowable, but don't quote me on that. @Arizona Wildcat has property there and he drove back and forth as early as July.

2 hours ago, TeaBag said:

This may include Canadians.  I surely hope so.  We live very close to the US border and used to go down there weekly.

It does not, just announced that most flight restrictions for fully vaxed lifted but land/border restrictions with Canada and Mexico remain in place.  There must be a reason ???? but it does not make sense.

Edited by LGW59

Just now, LGW59 said:

It does not, just announced that most flight restrictions for fully vaxed lifted but land/border restrictions with Canada and Mexico remain in place.

Yup, extended to October 21st, when the next announcement will be made.

2 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Yup, extended to October 21st, when the next announcement will be made.

That's the date I was looking for and couldn't find....didn't want to report if I couldn't be specific.  Month to month extensions...perhaps open in time for the snowbirds to go south.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, D C said:

Right. And it's not like people who are flying aren't then going to rent a car, stay in a hotel, eat at restaurants, etc...

As I said, just my opinion....those who are flying will be vaccinated, so those driving, if vaccinated are likewise a minimal threat....however...not being a right fighter I bow to your superior logic.

Edited by Oceangoer2

19 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

They've been free to cross the border in both directions since August 9th. And IIRC, there was some arrangement that enabled at least some of them to do so even earlier. Maybe the travel was deemed essential and therefore allowable, but don't quote me on that. @Arizona Wildcat has property there and he drove back and forth as early as July.

I didn't realize they'd finally made this exemption. I was under the impression, though, that Canadians still couldn't cross. I have a couple of friends with property there who haven't been able to see their places for almost two years. 

https://www.seattlepi.com/local/seattlenews/article/point-roberts-begs-federal-leaders-for-help-16410039.php

7 hours ago, Oceangoer2 said:

From what I'm reading between the (press) lines....the US is not allowing the northern border population entry if they can't allow the southern border to open.  What???  100% fence sitting.  Time for them to 'man up' and make a decision which make sense as it pertains to border crossing.

In which case, then, all borders should be closed.   It should be dictated by the facts and statistical numbers where people are coming from.  All or nothing strategy doesn't make sense, if I understand your complaint correctly.

On 9/19/2021 at 3:59 AM, little britain said:

As Brits and Europeans are still unable to enter the USA ( and not looking like this will change anytime soon); what are X doing?

Are they reaching out? Offering a full refund? L&S? 
Final payment approaches soon.

White House announced today that fully vaccinated foreigners will be allowed into the US starting in November. 

We're Brits due to sail on Edge from FL on 12 Dec.

We were getting very jittery about making final payment but have decided to go for it after yesterday's announcement.

Time to allow ourselves to get (a bit) excited now, and to check out the pre cruise testing rules which I currently don't understand!

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Stuffthis123 said:

We were getting very jittery about making final payment but have decided to go for it after yesterday's announcement.

Time to allow ourselves to get (a bit) excited now, and to check out the pre cruise testing rules which I currently don't understand!

Hi, it would be really helpful if you could share the Covid testing requirements as and when you know what they are. We’re heading over the pond in January and having 2 nights in Tampa before the cruise. The 2 nights may cause a difficulty as it looks like we will have to test before flying out from the UK, then again in the USA within 72 hours of the cruise. Because we only have the day prior to the cruise in the States to arrange a PCR we may have a problem complying with the requirements.

Any help or advice on this issue will be gratefully received.

8 hours ago, Stuffthis123 said:

7 hours ago, Rustyman said:

Hi, it would be really helpful if you could share the Covid testing requirements as and when you know what they are. We’re heading over the pond in January and having 2 nights in Tampa before the cruise. The 2 nights may cause a difficulty as it looks like we will have to test before flying out from the UK, then again in the USA within 72 hours of the cruise. Because we only have the day prior to the cruise in the States to arrange a PCR we may have a problem complying with the requirements.

Any help or advice on this issue will be gratefully received.

Celebrity's pre-cruise testing requirements for U.S. sailings are set out in the FAQs on Celebrity's U.S. web site, here:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/faqs

Right now, the testing requirements only apply through October 1, 2021.  Many of us expect them to be extended, but there's no way right now to know if or when they will be, or for how long, so just keep monitoring that web site, as well as the Celebrity forum here on CC, where there are tons of discussions about testing. 

Assuming Celebrity extends the same testing requirements they have now, the test must be taken no earlier than 2 days before sailing (not 48 hours, but 2 days).  (If your ship sails on a Saturday, you can test on or after anytime Thursday.)   The FAQs explain which types of tests are acceptable.  You need not take a PCR test, a rapid antigen test will do, as long as it's the type of test that meets Celebrity's requirements. 

Right now, because of the tight 2-day testing window, many folks are opting to use the Abbott BinaxNow Covid-19 Ag home tests that are observed over the internet (in lieu of finding a testing site near the port).  Unfortunately, I believe you must be in the U.S. to order these kits.   

Google searches may help you find rapid-result testing facilities in whatever ports you are embarking from.  You can also ask for help over in the Florida Departures forum here on CC:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/386-florida-departures/

Here are a couple of threads that identify some rapid testing facilities in Fort Lauderdale. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2800304-where-can-a-get-the-fast-result-covid-rapt-antigen-test-in-fort-lauderdale/?tab=comments#comment-61786070

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2795430-test-facilities-in-fort-lauderdale/

Some of the big chain pharmacies in the U.S. where you can get tested are CVS and Walgreens.

If Celebrity is still requiring testing by the time of your cruises, it would be good to make an appointment at a testing facility near your departure port.

Good luck, and I hope this has been helpful!

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Celebrity's pre-cruise testing requirements for U.S. sailings are set out in the FAQs on Celebrity's U.S. web site, here:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/faqs

Right now, the testing requirements only apply through October 1, 2021.  Many of us expect them to be extended, but there's no way right now to know if or when they will be, or for how long, so just keep monitoring that web site, as well as the Celebrity forum here on CC, where there are tons of discussions about testing. 

Assuming Celebrity extends the same testing requirements they have now, the test must be taken no earlier than 2 days before sailing (not 48 hours, but 2 days).  (If your ship sails on a Saturday, you can test on or after anytime Thursday.)   The FAQs explain which types of tests are acceptable.  You need not take a PCR test, a rapid antigen test will do, as long as it's the type of test that meets Celebrity's requirements. 

Right now, because of the tight 2-day testing window, many folks are opting to use the Abbott BinaxNow Covid-19 Ag home tests that are observed over the internet (in lieu of finding a testing site near the port).  Unfortunately, I believe you must be in the U.S. to order these kits.   

Google searches may help you find rapid-result testing facilities in whatever ports you are embarking from.  You can also ask for help over in the Florida Departures forum here on CC:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/386-florida-departures/

Here are a couple of threads that identify some rapid testing facilities in Fort Lauderdale. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2800304-where-can-a-get-the-fast-result-covid-rapt-antigen-test-in-fort-lauderdale/?tab=comments#comment-61786070

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2795430-test-facilities-in-fort-lauderdale/

Some of the big chain pharmacies in the U.S. where you can get tested are CVS and Walgreens.

If Celebrity is still requiring testing by the time of your cruises, it would be good to make an appointment at a testing facility near your departure port.

Good luck, and I hope this has been helpful!

Thank you so much for your help, folk like you make this forum the great source of information it is.

Turtles06, I really appreciate this.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Right now, the testing requirements only apply through October 1, 2021.  Many of us expect them to be extended, but there's no way right now to know if or when they will be, or for how long [...]

Actually, the requirements have already been extended to October 31, 2021.