Great Stirrup Cay as a Bahamian port?

Mudhen

I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere on this forum, but I couldn't seem to find info on this.

We're thinking about a Gem cruise, rt out of NYC that hits all US ports with the exception of Great Stirrup Cay.

Do we need to get the blasted Bahamian Visa headache if the ship is stopping there? Covid testing is fine,

but going thru the rigamarole of that visa is a real pain. Been there, done that with Crystal.

Thanks in advance for any info.

14 minutes ago, Mudhen said:

I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere on this forum, but I couldn't seem to find info on this.

We're thinking about a Gem cruise, rt out of NYC that hits all US ports with the exception of Great Stirrup Cay.

Do we need to get the blasted Bahamian Visa headache if the ship is stopping there? Covid testing is fine,

but going thru the rigamarole of that visa is a real pain. Been there, done that with Crystal.

Thanks in advance for any info.

I thought I had read on the Crystal board that passengers embarking a cruise in the US no longer needed the health visa and it was now only required for passengers embarking in the Bahamas. Maybe if you check the Crystal board you can find that information.

Correct, visas only needed for cruises that start in the Bahamas. For visiting cruise ships, not required. (I believe this is a change from prior requirements,). Only required to be vaccinated for adults, which NCL requires anyway.  

Edited by psac

10 hours ago, Mudhen said:

Do we need to get the blasted Bahamian Visa

9 hours ago, njhorseman said:

I thought I had read on the Crystal board that passengers embarking a cruise in the US no longer needed the health visa

9 hours ago, psac said:

Correct, visas only needed for cruises that start in the Bahamas

Someone on the Crystal board has just posted the opposite...that the visa is still needed.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2803055-things-you-might-not-know-crystal-serenity/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-61871706

Edited by njhorseman

Also….  Disney Dream is going to the Bahamas out of Florida twice a week. You can go to any roll call for an upcoming sailing and ask there.  Same with Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas once a week.  They will confirm!

Edited by psac

Thank you all for your advice. Sure sounds like we need the Bahamian Visa even if it's just for Stirrup Cay. If that's the case, then count us out. Already did one of those visas for a Crystal cruise and it was a can of worms to say the least....won't go thru that again.

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

Someone on the Crystal board has just posted the opposite...that the visa is still needed.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2803055-things-you-might-not-know-crystal-serenity/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-61871706

You only need a Visa if you are originating from the Bahamas (because you actually have to enter the country at the airport,,,, regardless of where you are going). 

Day port calls do not require Visas and COVID Health Insurance. 

We just called at Nassau and a private island last week and did not require a Visa. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Mudhen said:

Thank you all for your advice. Sure sounds like we need the Bahamian Visa even if it's just for Stirrup Cay. If that's the case, then count us out. Already did one of those visas for a Crystal cruise and it was a can of worms to say the least....won't go thru that again.

Incorrect. No visa required. Follow the directions provided by the cruise line. 

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

And where do I find that? I've been all over the NCL site and I must've missed it somewhere...

Whose directions are cited above, entitled Cruise Passengers? That first section seems pretty specific in mentioning "cruise lines private islands". This is becoming more confusing by the minute.

7 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

You only need a Visa if you are originating from the Bahamas (because you actually have to enter the country at the airport,,,, regardless of where you are going). 

Day port calls do not require Visas and COVID Health Insurance. 

We just called at Nassau and a private island last week and did not require a Visa. 

7 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Well...reading Crystals instructions to their passengers and per the report of someone who is there this week the visa is required. I originally said the same thing you have but now I'm not sure.

32 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Well...reading Crystals instructions to their passengers and per the report of someone who is there this week the visa is required. I originally said the same thing you have but now I'm not sure.

Maybe Crystal is doing it either because whoever is giving their passengers instructions is just plain wrong, or perhaps they figure in case anyone has to debark in the Bahamas because of Covid they’ll need it?  Like Bird said above, he himself just went there on another line and did not need it!  Also see my link from the Bamahas itself. There was a contact option on the website, ask them yourself, but make sure you’re clear it’s just for a ship arriving for a day, not starting or ending in the Bahamas. 

Edited by psac
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Mudhen said:

May I ask what problems did you have with the Bermuda TA we are in the process currently already paid now waiting for pcr results hoping they come in in time ,so we can upload to. Bermuda I def agree it’s a stress .

1 hour ago, psac said:

Maybe Crystal is doing it either because whoever is giving their passengers instructions is just plain wrong, or perhaps they figure in case anyone has to debark in the Bahamas because of Covid they’ll need it?  Like Bird said above, he himself just went there on another line and did not need it!  Also see my link from the Bamahas itself. There was a contact option on the website, ask them yourself, but make sure you’re clear it’s just for a ship arriving for a day, not starting or ending in the Bahamas. 

Personally I think that Crystal's instructions to its passengers are wrong and they're contrary to my understanding of the requirements, but I felt obligated to mention it because I can't find an official source that confirms the health visa isn't needed in these circumstances. Looking at the instructions provided by the Bahamas on https://travel.gov.bs/file/travelProtocols it appears as though the visa is required: 

"International Travel Protocols 1. Every person traveling to The Bahamas is required to create a profile, submit an international trip application, be accepted, then purchase the Travel Health Visa in order to receive the approved Health Visa for their trip to The Bahamas. This document is to be presented to airline agents/pilots and boat captains/operators before boarding takes place" , and 

"5. A traveler entering The Bahamas by sea must have a valid international Travel Health Visa issued by The Bahamas Travel Health Visa Website and must stop at the port of entry at the intended island destination and give the local authority a copy of their negative RT-PCR COVID-19 test or proof of full vaccination."

11 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Personally I think that Crystal's instructions to its passengers are wrong and they're contrary to my understanding of the requirements, but I felt obligated to mention it because I can't find an official source that confirms the health visa isn't needed in these circumstances. Looking at the instructions provided by the Bahamas on https://travel.gov.bs/file/travelProtocols it appears as though the visa is required: 

"International Travel Protocols 1. Every person traveling to The Bahamas is required to create a profile, submit an international trip application, be accepted, then purchase the Travel Health Visa in order to receive the approved Health Visa for their trip to The Bahamas. This document is to be presented to airline agents/pilots and boat captains/operators before boarding takes place" , and 

"5. A traveler entering The Bahamas by sea must have a valid international Travel Health Visa issued by The Bahamas Travel Health Visa Website and must stop at the port of entry at the intended island destination and give the local authority a copy of their negative RT-PCR COVID-19 test or proof of full vaccination."

You have to click the link specifically for cruise passengers.  The Bahamas is a Haven (no pun intended) for small boaters and yachters who travel by sea. That is what that section is referring to.  

49 minutes ago, bmlovell said:

May I ask what problems did you have with the Bermuda TA we are in the process currently already paid now waiting for pcr results hoping they come in in time ,so we can upload to. Bermuda I def agree it’s a stress .

I have no idea how the Bermudian visa works, only the Bahamian one. We may have been a special case, as the Bahamas changed up their requirements 3 days before we left. It all turned out ok, but for me some of the fun of a cruise is happy anticipation. This was not the case with the multiple hoops to jump to get into the Bahamas.

I guess what I was trying to find out (so far with no luck) is do we need a visa for the one and only stop at Stirrup Cay. Looks like we do according to the Bahamian Visa site,.....but I can find no official info on the NCL site. If it's, in fact, there, i wish someone would point me to that.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mudhen said:

I have no idea how the Bermudian visa works, only the Bahamian one. We may have been a special case, as the Bahamas changed up their requirements 3 days before we left. It all turned out ok, but for me some of the fun of a cruise is happy anticipation. This was not the case with the multiple hoops to jump to get into the Bahamas.

I guess what I was trying to find out (so far with no luck) is do we need a visa for the one and only stop at Stirrup Cay. Looks like we do according to the Bahamian Visa site,.....but I can find no official info on the NCL site. If it's, in fact, there, i wish someone would point me to that.

Try sending an e-mail to: vicepresidentguestservices@ncl.com and ask for clarification.  It always helps to have something in writing and if they don't know then that's a real problem.  I had some questions about our Bermuda sailing and received a prompt reply.

Good luck!

19 minutes ago, goldmom said:

Try sending an e-mail to: vicepresidentguestservices@ncl.com and ask for clarification.  It always helps to have something in writing and if they don't know then that's a real problem.  I had some questions about our Bermuda sailing and received a prompt reply.

Good luck!

I just sent that off....will report back what I find out! 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Mudhen said:

There is no clarification because there is nothing special that you need to do for the Bahamas. There website changes.  At one point all cruise ship passengers needed a visa; 2 days later you didn't.  Right now I don't see any evidence that you do.  But as someone suggested...e-mail NCL for a clarification so you have it in writing.

1 hour ago, psac said:

You have to click the link specifically for cruise passengers.  The Bahamas is a Haven (no pun intended) for small boaters and yachters who travel by sea. That is what that section is referring to.  

I've been unable yo locate the link for cruise passengers. I'd appreciate your providing it.

1 hour ago, ggTexasGal said:

Aren't the protocols covered by NCL's FULLY VACCINATED cruises by this: "or proof of full vaccination"?

No...each country has its own protocols and they may not be satisfied by NCL's protocols . For example Bermuda has additional testing requirements beyond what NCL requires, and at least for a short time the Bahamas had additional protocols.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

I've been unable yo locate the link for cruise passengers. I'd appreciate your providing it.

Unfortunately it’s an embedded link, not a direct link. From here:  https://www.bahamas.com/travelupdates

scroll down just a little to see the next links:  including screenshots in portrait and landscape 

B5714694-7C75-4671-A7EF-0C510EF161A0.thumb.jpeg.85c4bc7aa1a4e83f7fd341433e447abf.jpeg7F12FB68-E189-4AB3-AC87-AB4B454DF7B1.thumb.jpeg.8ebc0b58277f728e70a98fab23ad4042.jpeg

Once you get to that link for cruise passengers, it just says all vaccinated, and then goes into the extra requirements for ships originating IN the Bahamas, such as the Visa required, but again, that’s only for those originating in the Bahamas, not for a cruise ship visit sailing from the US for instance. 

Edited by psac
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, psac said:

Unfortunately it’s an embedded link, not a direct link. From here:  https://www.bahamas.com/travelupdates

scroll down just a little to see the next links:  including screenshots in portrait and landscape 

Thanks...but it's still a bit odd because when you click on the "Cruise Passengers" link it tells you about cruises that originate in and return to the Bahamas, but appears be silent on cruises originating in the US or elsewhere. You would think they would address those cruises too...with a simple statement that those cruises don't require the health visa. They should say something, not just leave it to your imagination as to what the absence of information means.