Great Stirrup Cay as a Bahamian port?

Mudhen

I do understand the thing about cruises that originate in the Bahamas (been there, done that) but apparently even tho some cruises originated in Miami, if they were stopping in the Bahamas, they still needed the health visa. 

I've emailed the powers that be with NCL. Will see what they have to say. I'll report back when (and if) I hear anything.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

Thanks...but it's still a bit odd because when you click on the "Cruise Passengers" link it tells you about cruises that originate in and return to the Bahamas, but appears be silent on cruises originating in the US or elsewhere. You would think they would address those cruises too...with a simple statement that those cruises don't require the health visa. They should say something, not just leave it to your imagination as to what the absence of information means.

Yeah if it was more explicit it would be helpful, but the very top part about all cruise passengers need the vaccine, and then the visas and extra tests for cruises originating. Not-originating just falls under needing to be vaccinated, and that’s it. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mudhen said:

I do understand the thing about cruises that originate in the Bahamas (been there, done that) but apparently even tho some cruises originated in Miami, if they were stopping in the Bahamas, they still needed the health visa. 

I've emailed the powers that be with NCL. Will see what they have to say. I'll report back when (and if) I hear anything.

I'm beginning to suspect that it's only the Crystal Serenity cruises that require the health visa for passengers embarking in the US  because those cruises have three different embarkation ports, Miami, Bimini and Nassau. Perhaps the Bahamian government decided it would be administratively easier as well as safer to require everyone to obtain the health visa rather than worrying about who embarked where.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

I'm beginning to suspect that it's only the Crystal Serenity cruises that require the health visa for passengers embarking in the US  because those cruises have three different embarkation ports, Miami, Bimini and Nassau. Perhaps the Bahamian government decided it would be administratively easier as well as safer to require everyone to obtain the health visa rather than worrying about who embarked where.

We have a winner.  You make perfect sense.

2 hours ago, njhorseman said:

I agree with this as well.  It could have also been Crystal’s decision to have their customer service reps just tell everyone yes, you need it, so there’s no confusion between the various embarkations.  

Sounds good. Please keep us posted!

Received this from the NCL guest services honcho....clear as mud....

VP Guest Services (vicepresidentguestservices@ncl.com)To:you Details
Bahamas Vaccination Requiremen...pdf (117 KB)
Dear Linda,

Thank you for your inquiry, we are still working directly with local officials to determine protocol for our guests traveling to the Bahamas and will notify our guests as soon as possible.  Our most recent communication regarding the Bahamas is attached.  

Jonathan Rose on behalf of Katty Byrd

Vice President, Guest Services

vicepresidentguestservices@ncl.com

Norwegian Cruise Line

7665 Corporate Center Drive | Miami FL 33126 

• Like 1

On 9/22/2021 at 11:38 AM, Mudhen said:

I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere on this forum, but I couldn't seem to find info on this.

We're thinking about a Gem cruise, rt out of NYC that hits all US ports with the exception of Great Stirrup Cay.

Do we need to get the blasted Bahamian Visa headache if the ship is stopping there? Covid testing is fine,

but going thru the rigamarole of that visa is a real pain. Been there, done that with Crystal.

Thanks in advance for any info.

We just got off the Gem today, visited GSC yesterday and NO visa required. All we needed was a mask, cruise card and photo ID. Same in Nassau, ZERO visa required. 

• Like 3

On 9/23/2021 at 1:03 PM, Mudhen said:

I do understand the thing about cruises that originate in the Bahamas (been there, done that) but apparently even tho some cruises originated in Miami, if they were stopping in the Bahamas, they still needed the health visa.  I've emailed the powers that be with NCL. Will see what they have to say. I'll report back when (and if) I hear anything.

We originated in Miami and stopped at Nassau and private island last week and were not required to apply for a Bahamian Health Visa nor pay for Bahamian COVID health insurance (which is a requirement for getting a Visa). I have also cruised from Nassau on RCCL and know what the requirements for that cruise are also. 

If you are not on a cruise to the Bahamas in the next few weeks, don't bother NCL with questions. If you are on a cruise in the next few weeks, the cruise line is very, very good about keeping you informed of the requirements and protocols for your cruise (like an email almost daily). 

• Like 1

ut oh....never ment to be a bother. We were just trying to get a realistic and official stance on just what's required or not. There are so many versions of what's expected (or not). Not to worry, I won't come back to bother NCL or anyone else.