Embarkation Clarification ;)

tlcm

Dear Experts,

I think I read somewhere that one can have embarkation day lunch at the sit down restaurants.  Particularly of interest to me is the Verandah.  I'm not one for crowds, so lunch at the food court day one seems like a bad idea.  I also think I read that the extra fee for restaurants is discounted on embarkation day.  I have tried to find where I read this and for some reason I can't locate it. 

Thank you experts!    (Cruising solo Ft. Lauderdale to SH April 2022.  Second cruise for me, 1st was Disney years ago.)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, tlcm said:

Dear Experts,

I think I read somewhere that one can have embarkation day lunch at the sit down restaurants.  Particularly of interest to me is the Verandah.  I'm not one for crowds, so lunch at the food court day one seems like a bad idea.  I also think I read that the extra fee for restaurants is discounted on embarkation day.  I have tried to find where I read this and for some reason I can't locate it. 

Thank you experts!    (Cruising solo Ft. Lauderdale to SH April 2022.  Second cruise for me, 1st was Disney years ago.)

To answer your post:  Embarkation Lunch for guests  in 'Britannia category'  ( ex Southampton & USA) is offered in the self service Lido. For 'Grill guest's' lunch is offered in their respective restaurants. The Verandah restaurant is not open for lunch on embarkation days ( or in any port days) 

The information you may have received for an 'extra fee' for dining in the MDR on embarkation does not apply to Cunard line. 

Lunch on embarkation day  in the Britannia  restaurant only applies to those guests who are already in transit or, for those guests joining the ship 'outside of a home port  

Home port includes Southampton UK - Brooklyn  USA.

Edited by Bell Boy
  • Like 1

As  exlondonder has posted , At the moment ( due to UK staycation cruises) A substantial Afternoon  Tea is offered for ALL categories  .

This replaces lunch, due to 'staggered boarding procedures throughout the day'  ( Covid procedures) ..

In the early days of the 'OLD' QE2' ..Afternoon Tea was always the first meal of the day ..on Embarkation !  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ShipFan13 said:

When you first board go down to the Golden Lion Pub and there you can get fish & chips no crowds because very few people know about this. 

At the moment on the UK staycation cruises , the pub is not serving food on Embarkation day, however, you are correct, outside of this present climate it's the best kept secret

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, tlcm said:

... I also think I read that the extra fee for restaurants is discounted on embarkation day. ...

I think you might asking about the embarkation day specials for the alternative dining venues in the evening. In the past on QM2, the price for the Kings Court Alternative Dining venue (theme varies) has been $14.50 per person the evening of embarkation day, a discount off the regular price of $19.50 per person other evenings. I don't recall ever seeing an embarkation day special for the Verandah restaurant.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2021 at 6:54 AM, ShipFan13 said:

When you first board go down to the Golden Lion Pub and there you can get fish & chips no crowds because very few people know about this. 

Yes we made friends in the 2 hour plus queue waiting to board in Sydney pre-Covid - they  took us firmly under their wing and took us to the Golden Lion  -closes at 2pm for food from memory! 

Edited by lissie
  • Like 1

On 9/22/2021 at 2:54 PM, ShipFan13 said:

We too have experienced the Kings Courts so many times that the next sailing next September we will be attempting the Golden Lion Pub for the first time on Embarkation Day instead. Kings Court is a challenge on boarding day and the last time was disappointing to say the least.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2021 at 10:03 PM, tlcm said:

Thanks so much everyone.

I'm on deck two in a solo room.  This means I have no class, right?!!  😁

Oh yes, you will quickly come to realise that you - and your fellow solo passengers on decks 2 and 3L - are in some of the best cabins on the ship.  Quiet, central, great shower rooms.    

You are fortuitous to have class, luck and be on board Queen Mary 2.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2021 at 7:39 PM, exlondoner said:

And, at the moment, it seems everyone is getting afternoon tea in the restaurants as their first meal. I wonder when that will change.

Interestingly the post cruise survey I have just completed had a question about if afternoon tea or lido buffet was my preferred option on embarkation  so it seems that changing back is an open question.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2021 at 12:53 AM, lissie said:

Yes we made friends in the 2 hour plus queue waiting to board in Sydney pre-Covid - they  took us firmly under their wing and took us to the Golden Lion  -closes at 2pm for food from memory! 

Thank you!  

On 9/25/2021 at 3:15 PM, showingdiva said:

Oh yes, you will quickly come to realise that you - and your fellow solo passengers on decks 2 and 3L - are in some of the best cabins on the ship.  Quiet, central, great shower rooms.    

You are fortuitous to have class, luck and be on board Queen Mary 2.

I've read that many times.  I'm glad to hear you agree!