... And what about the Christmas market cruises?

notamermaid

13 hours ago, notamermaid said:

One may rightly ask: why can supermarkets that are indoors stay open but an outdoor market of stalls cannot?

Heard that argument in the news today... but I think you can´t compare. BTW shops have to limit the number of customers here in Bavaria (1 per 10 sqm and over 1,000 1 per 20 sqm). The difference between a market booth and a shop is that you simply can´t control the crowd. The people won´t line up before a booth with 1.5 m distance and wait til it´s their turn just to have a look on what the booth is offering. There was the idea of 2G+ for fenced in markets but who is getting a test just to have one mug of Glühwein? In a shop the people don´t gather around one spot (except at the register but then they can open up another one).

steamboats

10 hours ago, sjde said:

Do you think they'll actually close once they've opened?

Forgive my geographic stupidity,  but are there any major towns on the Rhine or Danube in Saxony? 

First question: They have to close by law...

Second question: Saxony has the Elbe river with Dresden as major city with second famous Christmas markets after Nuremberg. But I don´t think there are Christmas market cruises offered on the Elbe river.

steamboats

7 hours ago, texasmomoftwo said:

Notamermaid, I am glad you forgive geography questions.  I am from Texas 🙂 So you probably could pick out my great state on a map... but maybe not.  Anyway, what do you think the chances of the Rhine Christmas Market cruises going in early- mid December?  We are scheduled Dec 10 to fly to Switzerland....and then hop on the Rhine for Christmas Markets.  Would love your input

Texas is an iconic shape, famous and easy, I can spot California and Florida and then errr, the guessing begins. Geography class is too long ago. 😀 

The markets on the Rhine, personally I am sceptical of these being able to continue throughout December. Lights are great, shops are festive, the mood is still okay right now, but it is going downhill in overall situation. When our top health expert professor gets emotional on telly and basically shouts at politicians to do something (he was controlled, but you could hear him shouting between the lines) you know it is bad. The federal government and Bavaria and Saxony reacted fast. The other states will do if needed. So I have no big hopes. If there was a river cruise in the Lüneburg Heath you would be fine. This is not sarcastic, they actually had an incidence rate of zero last week! 

If you feel happy about coming to see castles, lights, probably without snow as the Rhine has a warmish climate, do come. You will probably be served glühwein on the ship, if not tell them to provide it... The situation in Switzerland is not great but not so bad it would be much in the news here, but I have no details. Last time I looked France was still keeping abreast of things in Grand-Est (that includes Strasbourg) but it is also deteriorating. No idea how they will react. The market may well make it through December, right now looks better than here.

In short, I predict an even more serious situation in two weeks time. Watch the news, check the rki website - steamboats has provided the link - and we, the ladies in Germany, will continue to discuss and inform.

Remember that when the situation gets really bad, hotels will close in the states along the Rhine and that means by definition an end to overnight tourism which applies to sleeping on a river cruise ship as well. But your river cruise company will watch all this carefully and see what the regulations will entail, you may be able to sail without stopping at a specific port. If in doubt about anything speak to the cruise line. You could send them a "what if"-scenario email.

This may look and sound bleak on the screen, but it is not to be pessimistic, see it more as an attempt at a realistic painting of the situation.

Hope this helps.

notamermaid

• Like 1

Not sure if you read this, but Viking has updated their Danube itinerary.  We got an email late yesterday.  For our sailing from Passau (Dec. 8th and even for the current sailing) they will go Passau to Regensburg (instead of Linz) to “cruise day through Austria” to Bratislava and then Budapest.  They have added an extra day in Budapest.  Kudos to Viking for trying to keep their ship sailing, but much can change over the coming days/weeks.  Hoping things improve for everyone in Germany and Austria!

Edited by Ktwofish

4 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Thank you for the info @Ktwofish 

On top of Covid there is also low water on the Danube.

Frankfurt Christmas market is still on (may change soon), but mask wearing has been introduced in busy shopping streets even outdoors.

notamermaid

Where does low water usually affect Danube cruising? 

11 minutes ago, Ktwofish said:

Where does low water usually affect Danube cruising? 

For details and explanations look into the Danube thread where I have posted a bit more on that. Worst part is generally speaking Straubing to Vilshofen in Germany. I post updates on the relevant marker for that stretch, which is Pfelling gauge.

notamermaid

• Like 1

4 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Texas is an iconic shape, famous and easy, I can spot California and Florida and then errr, the guessing begins. Geography class is too long ago. 😀 

The markets on the Rhine, personally I am sceptical of these being able to continue throughout December. Lights are great, shops are festive, the mood is still okay right now, but it is going downhill in overall situation. When our top health expert professor gets emotional on telly and basically shouts at politicians to do something (he was controlled, but you could hear him shouting between the lines) you know it is bad. The federal government and Bavaria and Saxony reacted fast. The other states will do if needed. So I have no big hopes. If there was a river cruise in the Lüneburg Heath you would be fine. This is not sarcastic, they actually had an incidence rate of zero last week! 

If you feel happy about coming to see castles, lights, probably without snow as the Rhine has a warmish climate, do come. You will probably be served glühwein on the ship, if not tell them to provide it... The situation in Switzerland is not great but not so bad it would be much in the news here, but I have no details. Last time I looked France was still keeping abreast of things in Grand-Est (that includes Strasbourg) but it is also deteriorating. No idea how they will react. The market may well make it through December, right now looks better than here.

In short, I predict an even more serious situation in two weeks time. Watch the news, check the rki website - steamboats has provided the link - and we, the ladies in Germany, will continue to discuss and inform.

Remember that when the situation gets really bad, hotels will close in the states along the Rhine and that means by definition an end to overnight tourism which applies to sleeping on a river cruise ship as well. But your river cruise company will watch all this carefully and see what the regulations will entail, you may be able to sail without stopping at a specific port. If in doubt about anything speak to the cruise line. You could send them a "what if"-scenario email.

This may look and sound bleak on the screen, but it is not to be pessimistic, see it more as an attempt at a realistic painting of the situation.

Hope this helps.

notamermaid

What are you hearing or reading of cases in Belgium and the Netherlands?  Our Tauck cruise sails from Brussels to Amsterdam starting 12/13–12/20.  I’m, at this point, hoping it gets cancelled.  Too many uncertainties to deal with so far from home, but too much money to cancel at this point.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Blue Eyes said:

What are you hearing or reading of cases in Belgium and the Netherlands?  Our Tauck cruise sails from Brussels to Amsterdam starting 12/13–12/20.  I’m, at this point, hoping it gets cancelled.  Too many uncertainties to deal with so far from home, but too much money to cancel at this point.  

I have a friend leaving in 7 days on a similar cruise and is also hoping it gets cancelled. It is a Viking Cruise and they are with a large group.

Scenic just cancelled the Danube season.  We want to thank you gals and guys for all the information it has made it easier for us to “come to terms with cancelling our honeymoon”. We are working on getting our flights, hotels, activities cancelled and hopefully refunded or credits.  
Now it back to the drawing board on our Honeymoon, I might put up a second post for ideas and suggestions. 

25 minutes ago, Blue Eyes said:

Do talk to Tauck about it. Belgium is worrying and Germany has declared it a high risk country. Apart from the government website, this is a good source for info: https://www.brusselstimes.com/news/belgium-all-news/194436/these-coronavirus-measures-are-coming-into-force-tomorrow/

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

On 11/18/2021 at 4:57 PM, notamermaid said:

@cruisr Good to hear you are relaxed about it and happy to come. Whatever happens with the markets, the lights will be great. You may get some snow, who knows... It may well snow in Würzburg on 25th and 26th November. Along the Rhine it is a little too warm, but it could snow above 600m above sea level, which you would climb to in an excursion to the Black Forest.

Are you coming on a river cruise or land trip this time?

notamermaid

Land this time.  Baden Wurttenburg, Black Forest and them to the Strasbourg and Colmar.  I love River cruises but much prefer extended time in places to really enjoy all the areas have to offer.

2 hours ago, Ja9Clay said:

Scenic just cancelled the Danube season.  We want to thank you gals and guys for all the information it has made it easier for us to “come to terms with cancelling our honeymoon”. We are working on getting our flights, hotels, activities cancelled and hopefully refunded or credits.  
Now it back to the drawing board on our Honeymoon, I might put up a second post for ideas and suggestions. 

I am really sorry to read that, such a pity. All in all I think Scenic is doing the right thing. Offering a half decent experience with inbuilt uncertainties and the Danube being low anyway is not great, better to say straight out that they do not want to do that to their customers. Not sure that this would be fun for anyone on a river cruise ship - no stopping in Austria, etc.

I am a tourist assistant so my mind is already on the challenge to find some suggestions for you (I have a bit of time on my hands) 🙂.

Will post in your thread when I have got ideas ready.

notamermaid

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisr said:

Land this time.  Baden Wurttenburg, Black Forest and them to the Strasbourg and Colmar.  I love River cruises but much prefer extended time in places to really enjoy all the areas have to offer.

Lovely. Come to think of it. That is not a bad idea for our honeymoon couple. Romantic walks in the snow ❄️ in the Black Forest... Strasbourg festive lights with or without Christmas market and a cruise at night along the canals. Yeah, I can picture that. 🙂 

notamermaid

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ja9Clay said:

If you want to stay in the US…think about The Biltmore House in Asheville NC. The Inn is an excellent resort.  Also the Grove Park Inn where the National Gingerbread House Competition is held.  We went last year and thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Inn….

• Like 3

We are booked on AMA Waterways Iconic Christmas Market cruise on December 11.  We are waiting to see what AMA is going to do.  This is the third time we have tried to go to the Christmas market.  Looks like three strikes and we're out.  So disappointed.

On 11/20/2021 at 10:04 AM, steamboats said:

First question: They have to close by law...

Second question: Saxony has the Elbe river with Dresden as major city with second famous Christmas markets after Nuremberg. But I don´t think there are Christmas market cruises offered on the Elbe river.

steamboats

Viking have Christmas markets cruises scheduled on the Elbe in December. From what I ve heard, they are fully booked.

But without the markets in Saxony, and further restrictions in Saxony (like touristy bus trips are outlawed as well as guided tours) I am not sure how they can get a programme started.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AnhaltER1960 said:

Viking have Christmas markets cruises scheduled on the Elbe in December. From what I ve heard, they are fully booked.

But without the markets in Saxony, and further restrictions in Saxony (like touristy bus trips are outlawed as well as guided tours) I am not sure how they can get a programme started.

I certainly cannot see that working. I wonder if Viking has informed the passengers. From what I read tourist overnight stays are not even allowed in Saxony, so will the state allow a river cruise ship to dock? In Rhineland-Palatinate the authorities did not allow it. It was the week when Hesse allowed that already but the restrictions were still harsher in Rhineland-Palatinate. On a more moral/ethical scale, I do not agree with a company bringing in guests from the Czech Republic (Prague extension) to a stricken state. Coming from Berlin is a bit different but not a great thing to do either.

I wonder what Viking will do. Would playing for time work? Not sure how long the lockdown is. Did the state government announce ten days?

notamermaid

So far I have not read of cancellations other than what has been mentioned on this board. German lines are sailing the Rhine, Viva Cruises has rerouted away from the Danube. A-Rosa is still doing the scenic sailing through Austria option. The Rhine still feels a half normal place. All other states apart from Thuringia are handling Covid better that Bavaria and Saxony, but that is a snapshot and could change during the coming week.

Many Christmas markets along the Rhine and Moselle have been cancelled but it is still possible to operate a five day river cruise that visits three markets. In a week's time we may see that change.  Uncertain times.

notamermaid

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ktwofish said:

Has anyone heard about the Rhine Christmas Market cruises?  Are they still going and is that area handling the Covid strain better than Bavaria and Saxony?

Due to the proximity of the countries, I expect things to just get worse there. Currently they are not as bad I have a good friend leaving later this week who is hoping their cruise is cancelled. I think the lines should do everyone a favor and just cancel.

@Coral I try to be realistic but sway to the pessimistic a bit when assessing the situation here. I would still like to say "come and see the markets, the companies do everything to keep their passengers safe and the health measures in Germany are very good". But when I read of @Psoque 's experience this morning, I started wondering. A blow to my optimism that you can actually operate a safe cruise. The odds are turning statistically to the negative, I feel. That is not blaming Crystal. I just tend to think there are too many carriers of the virus now in the general population.

Giving up on the season must be hard for people, crew and companies, but perhaps it is better to stay in your own country at this point. Not sure where we will be in a week's time, but things are definitely not going to get better any time soon. I think the drab weather is getting to me... 

notamermaid