... And what about the Christmas market cruises?

notamermaid

11 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

@Coral I try to be realistic but sway to the pessimistic a bit when assessing the situation here. I would still like to say "come and see the markets, the companies do everything to keep their passengers safe and the health measures in Germany are very good". But when I read of @Psoque 's experience this morning, I started wondering. A blow to my optimism that you can actually operate a safe cruise. The odds are turning statistically to the negative, I feel. That is not blaming Crystal. I just tend to think there are too many carriers of the virus now in the general population.

Giving up on the season must be hard for people, crew and companies, but perhaps it is better to stay in your own country at this point. Not sure where we will be in a week's time, but things are definitely not going to get better any time soon. I think the drab weather is getting to me... 

notamermaid

You make very good points. I have been impressed with Viking’s health program, which is the reason we feel comfortable cruising with them.  Unfortunately, the coronavirus is still with us.  Who would have guessed we’d still be dealing with this pandemic 18 months after booking our Christmas market cruise?!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

@Coral I try to be realistic but sway to the pessimistic a bit when assessing the situation here. I would still like to say "come and see the markets, the companies do everything to keep their passengers safe and the health measures in Germany are very good". But when I read of @Psoque 's experience this morning, I started wondering. A blow to my optimism that you can actually operate a safe cruise. The odds are turning statistically to the negative, I feel. That is not blaming Crystal. I just tend to think there are too many carriers of the virus now in the general population.

Giving up on the season must be hard for people, crew and companies, but perhaps it is better to stay in your own country at this point. Not sure where we will be in a week's time, but things are definitely not going to get better any time soon. I think the drab weather is getting to me... 

notamermaid

I was saddened at @Psoque report also as I know how much Crystal moved to make our experience as normal as possible. Cases are going up everywhere. In my city of 300,000, we had our largest numbers of the year this past week.

For many of us - it is not cheap to go over to Europe. I think a lot of people do not want to risk having a dream vacation significantly altered or have to worry about getting sick. Then getting stuck in a hotel for 10 days if they do get sick. Most Americans just became eligible for the booster a day or two ago.

I had a trip of a lifetime scheduled April of 2020 to Europe. I know the feeling of seeing things get worse and knowing I should cancel but worrying about what cancellation would feel like financially. I did cancel and later the line cancelled and it was a pain getting my money back.

I think it is best to have the lines just cancel. I know they don't want to take a loss but for their employees and their passengers, it is the best thing to do.

I have a friend who just got back from the Danube a week ago. He was freaking out before about COVID and traveling before the trip. I just saw the stress he was going through. I haven't had a chance to talk to him since he returned. 

10 minutes ago, Ktwofish said:

You make very good points. I have been impressed with Viking’s health program, which is the reason we feel comfortable cruising with them.  Unfortunately, the coronavirus is still with us.  Who would have guessed we’d still be dealing with this pandemic 18 months after booking our Christmas market cruise?!

I think many lines are taking COVID seriously and are doing things similar to Viking.

I have nothing booked next year. I still fear doing so due to COVID. Who would have thought?

Edited by Coral

We were leaning toward not going , but didn’t want to cancel and lose our money. If the cruise line cancels , then they would give us a credit. So we asked our TA and she said we’d get credit if we cancelled. If you really don’t want to go, it pays to ask. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sjde said:

The only market on our Rhine cruise that has been closed ( that I know of) is Rudesheim.  Still, I don’t think it’s such a good idea to go ahead. 

Rüdesheim sadly yes. Most markets that river cruisers are scheduled to see, are on. Many smaller ones are not on, i.e. those that are more attractions for "just" regional tourists.

Currently running or due to start are: Strasbourg, Mainz, Koblenz. On the Moselle Bernkastel-Kues and Trier. There are others.

notamermaid

7 hours ago, notamermaid said:

I certainly cannot see that working. I wonder if Viking has informed the passengers. From what I read tourist overnight stays are not even allowed in Saxony, so will the state allow a river cruise ship to dock? (.....)

I wonder what Viking will do. Would playing for time work? Not sure how long the lockdown is. Did the state government announce ten days?

notamermaid

Some things will depend on the exact wording of the directive. I have not read it thoroughly yet, but in legal terms I think there is a difference between a hotel and a ship. But: Museums are closed, markets are closed, Guided tours are outlawed, bussing people for touristy reasons is not allowed. So they wont have any chance but to transit without stopping - and much of an Elbe cruise is wasted. They might cruise the Elbe in Saxony-Anhalt, say Wittenberg to Dessau/Magdeburg/Tangermünde and/or transit through Saxony without stopping to Decin. But that is is an emergency programme, as the core of the christmas markets tour is Saxony with their histrorical markets and the core is torn out of the body.

Guess there is some steaming heads in Basel at the Viking river cruise European headquarters right now..

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sjde said:

We were leaning toward not going , but didn’t want to cancel and lose our money. If the cruise line cancels , then they would give us a credit. So we asked our TA and she said we’d get credit if we cancelled. If you really don’t want to go, it pays to ask. 

Hi, with what cruise and line are you booked? Curious on getting the credit if you decide to cancel before the cruise does. Thank you.

4 hours ago, AnhaltER1960 said:

Some things will depend on the exact wording of the directive. I have not read it thoroughly yet, but in legal terms I think there is a difference between a hotel and a ship. But: Museums are closed, markets are closed, Guided tours are outlawed, bussing people for touristy reasons is not allowed. So they wont have any chance but to transit without stopping - and much of an Elbe cruise is wasted. They might cruise the Elbe in Saxony-Anhalt, say Wittenberg to Dessau/Magdeburg/Tangermünde and/or transit through Saxony without stopping to Decin. But that is is an emergency programme, as the core of the christmas markets tour is Saxony with their histrorical markets and the core is torn out of the body.

Guess there is some steaming heads in Basel at the Viking river cruise European headquarters right now..

Those markets along the Rhine are still open.  When you say markets are closed are you talking ALL markets?

10 hours ago, sjde said:

We were on AMA.

Are hotels closed in some places? In the US, even during the worst of it, they were open.

In Bavaria hotels have to close in counties with a 7 day number over 1,000. As of today 9 counties hit that mark.

The good news... besides the city of Passau the county of Passau is now below the 1,000 mark. So Vilshofen is currently not affected anymore by that stricter lockdown regulation. But this can change again...

steamboats

11 hours ago, sjde said:

Are hotels closed in some places? In the US, even during the worst of it, they were open.

As each federal state handles it differently, I do not have the full picture. But in many states (like Saxony right now) it it forbidden to offer overnights for touristy or private travellers, but not for business travellers. As also large events like seminars, congresses and alike are banned, it is often an individual decision by each hotel to close or to stay open.

Here in Rhineland-Palatinate hotels, etc. are open and still operating mostly with 3G I believe. From Wednesday we will get amended regulations which in essence reduce much of public life to 2G indoors. That shuts out those that are unvaccinated. Koblenz and most of Northern Rhineland-Palatinate is now  on warning level 2. This puts restrictions on large gatherings, mostly indoors. From Wednesday regulations could change, possibly also bringing a change to the hospitality industry and Christmas markets. But I do not expect any closures yet. We are still a bit away from a dire situation. But it is serious nonetheless.

notamermaid

13 hours ago, sjde said:

We were on AMA.

We had hotels temporarily close where I live in the US during a few months when COVID was bad.

It is so strange.  As you probably all know, where I live in Victoria, Australia, we have had the longest and harshest lockdowns in the world.

Now, we are routinely getting 1000-1500 cases per day, and we are fully open, literally no limits to anything.  We can fly in, fly out, go to hotels and dinner, yet we went into lockdown with 8 daily cases.  Strange.

Such a shame for Germany and Austria, I can't see how this is ever going to end.

• Like 2

Let us have a look at what info Travel Weekly has gathered: https://www.travelweekly.com/River-Cruising/Christmas-markets-close-river-cruise-lines-cancel

Interesting here is especially that cruise lines still want to sail the Rhine as planned. Crystal as well as Tauck's Brussels to Amsterdam itinerary are mentioned.

From my perspective I may add that the Rhine is indeed relatively busy with river cruise ships under the circumstances.

notamermaid

5 hours ago, steamboats said:

Now we have 10 counties over 1,000 including Passau county (so again Vilshofen is affected). The new rules will set in by tomorrow here in Bavaria.

steamboats

motamermaid will love this response. 

since I do not know European geography well ….

what river area and cities will this affect?   Thank you 

@notamermaid @steamboats Thank you for sharing you expertise and knowledge of the current state of affairs in Germany.  Yesterday, we made the difficult choice of cancelling our December 8th river cruise. Unfortunately, I think things will get worse before they get better in your part of the world.  Wishing everyone good health and safe travels!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We've been to these towns in Germany this past week: Cologne, Koblenz, Miltenberg, Wurzburg, Nuremberg, Regensburg,  & in Passau today, sadly all had the Christmas market stalls/booths set up, but not open/shut down.... Picture of Passau xmas market today below.  

Hopefully markets in Bratislava & Budapest might still be open...

20211123_114602.thumb.jpg.20745ebccdca764d511adf8378b6402d.jpg

@Ktwofish I am really sorry to read that. I think the fact that the US has put Germany in the highest risk category is unfortunately a correct reflection of the situation. We have also read about Psoque's experience on the Rhine River cruise.

I personally also hear about more and more fully vaccinated people testing positive.

If you went on 8th December and were to be quarantined, not sure if you could be back in the US by Christmas. Not sure what the rules are for re-entering your country in such a case. There are also insurance matters to deal with potentially. Too many uncertainties for crossing the ocean and embarking on a river cruise at this point.

I hope you have a fantastic time where you are during Advent and remember there is always the possibility to invite friends and family to the backyard, download a recipe for glühwein, get some biscuits from an online shop, get the fairy lights on and have a splendid time. With a bit of sadness in your heart but looking forward to another opportunity next year and even happier celebrations.

notamermaid

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

notamermaid said:

"I hope you have a fantastic time where you are during Advent and remember there is always the possibility to invite friends and family to the backyard, download a recipe for glühwein, get some biscuits from an online shop, get the fairy lights on and have a splendid time. With a bit of sadness in your heart but looking forward to another opportunity next year and even happier celebrations.

notamermaid"

Thank you "notamermaid" for the uplifting words above.  Yes, we are disappointed but we are very blessed to have traveled before and are looking forward to coming back to Germany again soon.

Happy Holidays everyone!

• Like 2