Ship changed Alaska September 2022 and new room not same area

mrjrewing

September 3 2022 Alaska cruise ship was changed from Sapphire to Royal Princess. We had a Cabin aft on Caribe deck. With Royal they gave us a cabin on Rivière deck - mid ship but it is by a crew work area. I asked Princess why our new room wasn’t in same area. Princess said usually put you in same area. They have blocked off some rooms and tell me to wait and a room MIGHT BECOME AVAILABLE. They want to put us at front now but we want back of ship. Anyone else having a problem with this cruise and new room location.

We booked this cruise at end of January 2021.

We are on the Sapphire  for a May Alaska  cruise, we were in C231, was switched  to C125 on Royal, called this week  and made a polite  fuss about the downgrade.  Was able to move to a DD category.   Friends  had a aft premium  balcony,  was moved  to a deluxe  balcony  midship, call and complain  and was able to get a aft balcony  back.  Just be persistent .  

3 hours ago, Wulfwyn said:

We are on the Sapphire  for a May Alaska  cruise, we were in C231, was switched  to C125 on Royal, called this week  and made a polite  fuss about the downgrade.  Was able to move to a DD category.   Friends  had a aft premium  balcony,  was moved  to a deluxe  balcony  midship, call and complain  and was able to get a aft balcony  back.  Just be persistent .  

I’ve stayed in C752 and C753, on the Sapphire, aft premium corner balconies, but the rooms are very basic and small.   The upgrade they received to a deluxe balcony on Royal  is a much better cabin, due to having a sofa, so not sure if they ended up in a regular cabin with larger balcony on the Royal somewhere, but the balcony deluxe was not a bad substitute.  

Some or many Aft facing balconies on the Royal have had soot issues, too.  

Regarding your reassignment, there isn’t much difference from C231 to 125, in my opinion.  It’s just a few more cabins.   I usually stay in 108 or 110, and it isn’t that far to the 200s at all, 300s yes, 200s, no.  I’ve been on both ships numerous times, and love aft facing balconies too, but would definitely opt for the upgraded deluxe balcony midship vs the non deluxe balcony aft with its potential soot issues on the Royal.  Your friends might want to rethink that one. 

Edited by 4cats4me

9 hours ago, mrjrewing said:

With Royal they gave us a cabin on Rivière deck - mid ship but it is by a crew work area.

Can somebody explain these crew work areas.  Are they similar to linen closets in a hotel (meaning crews are in and out but usually just a couple of hours a day) or are they really busy and loud?  And where are they?  I'm booked on Aloha 333 and 335, and 335 is next to a white space.  Crew area?

Are you in an interior or balcony cabin? If balcony cabin I would not worry about a crew work area. There really isn't any noise. These are housekeeping closets. However, if you are in an interior cabin directly adjacent to a work area or elevator I would ask for a change. You may want to consider changing voyages.

On 9/25/2021 at 8:09 AM, PACD_JG said:

Can somebody explain these crew work areas.  Are they similar to linen closets in a hotel (meaning crews are in and out but usually just a couple of hours a day) or are they really busy and loud?  And where are they?  I'm booked on Aloha 333 and 335, and 335 is next to a white space.  Crew area?

More than likely this is ad crew work area. Twice we’ve been in these areas. First time it was just like a linen closet and we heard a bit of noise around 8-8:30 am and around 9-10 pm. Noise was minimal. Next time was not so great. This time the room had dishwasher and other equipment. We heard banging some nights between midnight and 3:00 am. We would also hear noise some days at 6:00 am . Some days we didn’t hear much.

On 9/25/2021 at 10:09 AM, PACD_JG said:

I'm booked on Aloha 333 and 335, and 335 is next to a white space.  Crew area?

Several of the "work areas" are more than just storage. I was surprised to learn that the room service kitchen is even tucked away on a passenger deck.

1 hour ago, CineGraphic said:

Several of the "work areas" are more than just storage. I was surprised to learn that the room service kitchen is even tucked away on a passenger deck.

That is surprising! Learn something new every day.

On 9/26/2021 at 10:34 PM, mrjrewing said:

More than likely this is ad crew work area. Twice we’ve been in these areas. First time it was just like a linen closet and we heard a bit of noise around 8-8:30 am and around 9-10 pm. Noise was minimal. Next time was not so great. This time the room had dishwasher and other equipment. We heard banging some nights between midnight and 3:00 am. We would also hear noise some days at 6:00 am . Some days we didn’t hear much.

Well, I was able to change my interior room to A323.  Let's hope for quiet neighbors.

On 9/27/2021 at 2:03 AM, CineGraphic said:

Yes, I also learned a while back that room service was on a passenger deck (large white area).  Made sense to me.  Easier to service those decks with all passenger staterooms.