Angst About Pre-Cruise Testing - Wouldn't It Be Good Customer Service For Princess To Do The Testing At The Pier?

SargassoPirate

3 minutes ago, travelhound said:

I think they will transition to: Test or Show Proof of Vaccination.  All public venues are adopting this protocol.  It's not perfect, but must better than testing everyone.

Alot of folks don't have electronic devices & many areas do not have internet available.

Princess should set up test sites near the piers imo.

1 minute ago, Platinum Cruisers2 said:

Alot of folks don't have electronic devices & many areas do not have internet available.

Princess should set up test sites near the piers imo.

I agree, for those who are not vaccinated, Princess should require them to either provide a negative test or take one at the pier.  This would be much more realistic, since you would be dealing with a much smaller percentage of passengers.

5 minutes ago, travelhound said:

I agree, for those who are not vaccinated, Princess should require them to either provide a negative test or take one at the pier.  This would be much more realistic, since you would be dealing with a much smaller percentage of passengers.

Problem is that it could easily be a no win for Princess.  If they do it free or low cost most would not pay for their own and take the easy way out and test at the pier.  If they charge then they will get complaints that the cost is too high.  

If they do test and someone is positive then you have issues of responsibility.  Does Princess report the positive, do they let the person go without quarantine, etc. Does the port agreements that Princess established with the ports require any action or responsibility for Princess.

Then what happens if there is a false negative and someone makes it on board and infects others, does Princess have any liability since the testing was set up and operated by them or a contractor.

Edited by nocl

2 minutes ago, travelhound said:

I’m only cruising on all vaccinated ships.  Don’t want to go with unvaccinated passengers or crew.  

This testing is per the CDC rules through

Dec 31, 2021.  Hopefully, we can just go all vaccinated in 2022?  Depends on the virus and the cruising in the next few months.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, nocl said:

Problem is that it could easily be a no win for Princess.  If they do it free or low cost most would not pay for their own and take the easy way out and test at the pier.  If they charge then they will get complaints that the cost is too high.  

If they do test and someone is positive then you have issues of responsibility.  Does Princess report the positive, do they let the person go without quarantine, etc.

Then what happens if there is a false negative and someone makes it on board and infects others, does Princess have any liability since the testing was set up and operated by them or a contractor.

Well it could also be just show proof of vaccination or proof of negative test taken within 72 hours.  Most public venues are doing this now.

12 minutes ago, travelhound said:

Well it could also be just show proof of vaccination or proof of negative test taken within 72 hours.  Most public venues are doing this now.

Problem is the break through rate with Delta.  When the Delta wave first started no tests were needed for the fully vaccinated.  Then there were some events of infections on board, including crew.  After the protocol changed to require tests for everyone very few cases reported on board.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nocl said:

If they do test and someone is positive then you have issues of responsibility.  Does Princess report the positive, do they let the person go without quarantine, etc. Does the port agreements that Princess established with the ports require any action or responsibility for Princess.

All of this could be written in the contract

Read the Princess health protocols it covers what they do if you test positive, so there it is.

1 minute ago, Platinum Cruisers2 said:

All of this could be written in the contract

Read the Princess health protocols it covers what they do if you test positive, so there it is.

From what I read the protocols cover what they do if you test positive on board, not if you test positive prior to boarding.  Clearly if you are responsible for testing and get a positive result prior to boarding ship you are denied boarding and Princess protocols do not cover it.  If they run the test on the pier before you board ship then most likely the protocols would not cover, but one could argue that if Princess is running the test then the onboard protocols should cover.   Exactly why the question of Princess running the tests may not be as straightforward as one might think.

30 minutes ago, nocl said:

From what I read the protocols cover what they do if you test positive on board, not if you test positive prior to boarding.  Clearly if you are responsible for testing and get a positive result prior to boarding ship you are denied boarding and Princess protocols do not cover it.  If they run the test on the pier before you board ship then most likely the protocols would not cover, but one could argue that if Princess is running the test then the onboard protocols should cover.   Exactly why the question of Princess running the tests may not be as straightforward as one might think.

Read under the Princess health protocols on top of Princess home page " W hat if I test positive it's very clearly spelled out"

4 hours ago, nocl said:

All the above is covered in Princess health protocols on top of their home page.

On 10/2/2021 at 11:25 AM, Billish said:

That does not happen in the UK, where arrival times are strictly controlled, so as to avoid that sort of issue.

According to comments I read regarding Regal in the UK, a big problem was exactly this, people showing up early! 

On 10/4/2021 at 5:48 PM, Reina del Mar said:

Would expect to need a negative test prior to International Flight, but staying three days pre cruise would mean another test two days before cruise. Would be good to know where to get Princess approved test.

This is exactly what I've been researching. Flying from UK to US in early January, to cruise from California. Will be unable to use preflight test as we arrive in California 5 days prior to cruise. Will be driving from San Francisco to San Pedro where cruise departs. I've been trying to identify reasonably priced testing facilities between Santa Barbara and San Pedro. Unable book CVS store test as CVS don't allow access from UK to their website. Did look at having Emed kit delivered to hotel, but you need a US cell phone to register and for duration of test. Would be so convenient if Princess had a paid testing facility somewhere near the port for International travellers. 

Edited by emerald6273
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, emerald6273 said:

This is exactly what I've been researching. Flying from UK to US in early January, to cruise from California. Will be unable to use preflight test as we arrive in California 5 days prior to cruise. Will be driving from San Francisco to San Pedro where cruise departs. I've been trying to identify reasonably priced testing facilities between Santa Barbara and San Pedro. Unable book CVS store test as CVS don't allow access from UK to their website. Did look at having Emed kit delivered to hotel, but you need a US cell phone to register and for duration of test. Would be so convenient if Princess had a paid testing facility somewhere near the port for International travellers. 

Try researching CovidClinic test sites.  If you have a car they have a few  locations within 20 or so miles of Long Beach/ San Pedro.  It is pricey at $129 per person for a Rapid Antigen test but you get results in an hour.

On 10/5/2021 at 10:03 PM, MMsteffey said:

According to comments I read regarding Regal in the UK, a big problem was exactly this, people showing up early! 

I cruised on Regal in August. Testing was well organised. Also cruised on NCL Epic from Barcelona 2 weeks ago. Again testing was well organised at Barcelona Port and you had a designated Covid Test appointment time at Port. 

33 minutes ago, emerald6273 said:

I cruised on Regal in August. Testing was well organised. Also cruised on NCL Epic from Barcelona 2 weeks ago. Again testing was well organised at Barcelona Port and you had a designated Covid Test appointment time at Port. 

That would be so nice.  I’m really hoping

in January we won’t have to test if were fully vaccinated.  But, that might be wishful thinking. 
Where will you be 2 days before the cruise?

41 minutes ago, emerald6273 said:

Here’s the email address for Covidclinic.org  to see if they can do a rapid antigen test for you when you come into California.  Explain the situation and you will know ahead of time. 

info@covidclinic.org

Let us know what they say.  I saw one test sight in Torrance, CA .  They can tell you the closest to where you’re staying.

Hope it helps 

7 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Here’s the email address for Covidclinic.org  to see if they can do a rapid antigen test for you when you come into California.  Explain the situation and you will know ahead of time. 

info@covidclinic.org

Let us know what they say.  I saw one test sight in Torrance, CA .  They can tell you the closest to where you’re staying.

Hope it helps 

I just did a mock appointment for Covidclinic.org  on their website and it would let me book all the way out in January, put in an email address AND

would accept a UK phone number.

I checked Rapid Antigen covid test, Torrance, CA , which looks like the closest to San Pedro.  This might be a great backup plan, if we have to test in January.

1 hour ago, DiRonT said:

Try researching CovidClinic test sites.  If you have a car they have a few  locations within 20 or so miles of Long Beach/ San Pedro.  It is pricey at $129 per person for a Rapid Antigen test but you get results in an hour.

Great idea!

14 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

I just did a mock appointment for Covidclinic.org  on their website and it would let me book all the way out in January, put in an email address AND

would accept a UK phone number.

I checked Rapid Antigen covid test, Torrance, CA , which looks like the closest to San Pedro.  This might be a great backup plan, if we have to test in January.

Thank you. Antigen Testing a lot more expensive in US compared to UK and Ireland.

15 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

That would be so nice.  I’m really hoping

in January we won’t have to test if were fully vaccinated.  But, that might be wishful thinking. 
Where will you be 2 days before the cruise?

I definitely think testing will still be required in January. We arrive into San Francisco 5 days before cruise. Spending first 3 nights in San Francisco, night 4 in Santa Barbara and night prior to cruise we'll stay in San Pedro. Getting tested in San Francisco a few blocks from our hotel may be an option as technically we will be leaving San Francisco 2 days prior to cruise. Currently I think Princess testing requirement is a negative PCR or Antigen 2 days prior to cruise and not 48 hours. 

2 minutes ago, emerald6273 said:

I definitely think testing will still be required in January. We arrive into San Francisco 5 days before cruise. Spending first 3 nights in San Francisco, night 4 in Santa Barbara and night prior to cruise we'll stay in San Pedro. Getting tested in San Francisco a few blocks from our hotel may be an option as technically we will be leaving San Francisco 2 days prior to cruise. Currently I think Princess testing requirement is a negative PCR or Antigen 2 days prior to cruise and not 48 hours. 

Yes, it is 2 days prior.  Sounds like you have a plan!  

10 minutes ago, emerald6273 said:

Thank you. Antigen Testing a lot more expensive in US compared to UK and Ireland.

Well, for US citizens, if you have insurance, you can get a rapid antigen

at Cvs or Walgreens, quest labs, Kroger, Walmart,  urgent care clinics, etc most are free.  But when you go to the airports and some private testing sights it is expensive.  Also, the proctored ones are of course higher.

Would be nice if they would come down in price everywhere, for anyone.

Anyway, we’ll survive.  Lol

Our Scenario; comments, please?

May 5 2022: Depart Seatac for London

May 6 2022: Arrive in London

May 6,7,8: London stay for 3 nights

Monday, May 9 2022: Embark on ship

Yes, we have "angst" about doing this test TWO days ahead when we will already be in a foreign country. I sure wish that we could do this on our flight day or the day before. If, for some reason, we test positive, then we are "stuck" in another country and the complications therein.

59 minutes ago, nini said:

Our Scenario; comments, please?

May 5 2022: Depart Seatac for London

May 6 2022: Arrive in London

May 6,7,8: London stay for 3 nights

Monday, May 9 2022: Embark on ship

Yes, we have "angst" about doing this test TWO days ahead when we will already be in a foreign country. I sure wish that we could do this on our flight day or the day before. If, for some reason, we test positive, then we are "stuck" in another country and the complications therein.

Isn't Princess still testing at the port at Southampton ?