Angst About Pre-Cruise Testing - Wouldn't It Be Good Customer Service For Princess To Do The Testing At The Pier?

SargassoPirate

1 hour ago, darknightsdespiser said:

So spend a precious days holiday travelling, pay for a hotel the night before THEN discover you aren't allowed on?

Would expect to need a negative test prior to International Flight, but staying three days pre cruise would mean another test two days before cruise. Would be good to know where to get Princess approved test.

6 minutes ago, Reina del Mar said:

Would expect to need a negative test prior to International Flight, but staying three days pre cruise would mean another test two days before cruise. Would be good to know where to get Princess approved test.

This is what we will be doing , flyi

1 minute ago, triona said:

This is what we will be doing ,flying out from the UK on the Wednesday  and picking up cruise on the Saturday or do we cut short our holiday by one day. I'm just waiting for things to change regarding testing etc as we still have a few months yet .   

20 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

I wonder how easy it is to get an appointment for a proctored test like Abbott Binax. Aren't they overwhelmed with requests for time slots.

My experience about 2 1/2 weeks ago at 1:30 AM on a Saturday was that I had barely any wait for a proctor to either watch me test or to confirm the results.  Your mileage may vary.

On 10/2/2021 at 8:31 AM, fabby50 said:

There shouldn't be any angst anymore, you can easily meet the testing requirements testing at home.  Took 20 minutes and easy.  I think people are still learning about at home testing, the word needs to get out to everyone trying to cruise.

Does  Princess accept the at-home test results? 

23 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

My experience about 2 1/2 weeks ago at 1:30 AM on a Saturday was that I had barely any wait for a proctor to either watch me test or to confirm the results.  Your mileage may vary.

Thank you. We are thinking of a 5 Day in Nov and had not thought about this previously. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/2/2021 at 2:43 PM, Mike07 said:

The more I think about it, the more I would not want to go thru the **** of packing for a cruise, flying to the pier city, getting off, hauling myself over to the pier, taking a test, and then being told I'm positive for COVID, and finding hotel reservations and/or an airplane at the last minute.

While 2-3 days before the cruise is honestly a pain (especially with some of the details some of y'all have described), Princess, or any cruise line, will not let you on the ship if you're positive.

That is exactly my point; we need some clarity on the date cruises will be back to normal.

2 hours ago, AZjohn said:

And then passengers who test positive the morning of cruise throw a fit when their results are positive. 

If I ran a cruise line, I would do everything possible to eliminate any "day of the cruise drama" for employees (they shouldn't have to deal with customers that throw a fit once they learn they won't be cruising the morning of embarkation).

Exactly, and if we were to test positive how do we get home?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, darknightsdespiser said:

Easy, after quarantining for 10 days, or making the morally questionable decision of flying while infected (inside country where tests are not required to travel).

Edited by nocl
  • Like 1

On 10/3/2021 at 2:47 PM, Steelers36 said:

Thought you can do the test with a PC with webcam and microphone.  Or, perhaps it was another test?

I did not see that anywhere but makes sense. If positive they want you notified immediately. You have to have it scheduled and paid to get a verification number. Give them someone else’s number. Emergency Contact. ??

Just now, Reina del Mar said:

This is the reason COVID is still circulating.

Cannot believe anyone would suggest this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not suggesting, just answering what passengers would do if they test sick at Pier.

I agree 1000% this is how this virus keeps circulating in America. There is nothing set up to force someone into isolation or prevent them to go to a airport to board a plane and infect a bunch of other people.

BTW, that was a frown face and not a smile face on my post

2 hours ago, AZjohn said:

I think we all know the answer.... say nothing and take a flight home while sick 😞

They do now have you attest to not being exposed or tested positive for CoVid when you check in online.  At least that was the process on Alaska Airlines as of yesterday.  I guess one could always lie but who would do that?  Plus, if you are tested under medical supervision, there is then a record of that.  

Since we don’t live too terribly far from LA, we were told that we’d most likely have a car rental available to get back home if we tested positive (and were asymptomatic) on our B2B.  If symptomatic, other accommodations would be made depending on the severity of the illness.  

4 hours ago, darknightsdespiser said:

You just drive home or take public transport. No problem. Then you isolate.

Yes , it is not ideal,  but by mask wearing, keeping your distance etc, you will minimize the chances of transmission. 

There is no other option.

Edited by wowzz

5 hours ago, Tedferg said:

I wonder how easy it is to get an appointment for a proctored test like Abbott Binax. Aren't they overwhelmed with requests for time slots.

Friday afternoon around 12:30 no wait and 2 were completed in about 25 mins each 

6 hours ago, Dreamer333 said:

Does  Princess accept the at-home test results? 

Only the proctored at home test is acceptable.  The BinaxNOW ag card

can be ordered through Optum.com.

Theres also a link for them on the PCL website.

23 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Had you scheduled the appointment or just called in ?

You don’t/can’t schedule you just jump on when you are ready to test. They seem to have plenty available right now, my guess is that they added a bunch when the cruise lines  started recommending  them 

Edited by Jadn13
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jadn13 said:

You don’t/can’t schedule you just jump on when you are ready to test. They seem to have plenty available right now, my guess is that they added a bunch when the cruise lines  started recommending  them 

Good to know, thanks.

On 10/2/2021 at 8:27 AM, SargassoPirate said:

Several thread here document the angst people have trying to fit a Covid test into their pre-cruise flight and travel plans.  That coupled with a wonky app makes one wonder if it's worth the effort.

Wouldn't it be a much better start to a cruise if Princess set up pre-cruise Covid testing at the pier?

I think they will transition to: Test or Show Proof of Vaccination.  All public venues are adopting this protocol.  It's not perfect, but much better than testing everyone.

Edited by travelhound