Angst About Pre-Cruise Testing - Wouldn't It Be Good Customer Service For Princess To Do The Testing At The Pier?

SargassoPirate

20 minutes ago, memoak said:

Isn't Princess still testing at the port at Southampton ?

We are going to test the day before we leave for the UK.  Cvs, Walgreens or an at home antigen.  And of course at the port the day of.  

Peace of mind.

We don’t know what May brings, except

May flowers.  🌸  But, love to plan and trying not to stress. 🤣

• Like 1

On 10/3/2021 at 6:24 PM, Jadn13 said:

I researched this testing facility it's about 20 mins from Port Everglades, they have a Whatsapp and an email  so those travelling internationally should be able to easily reach out

https://fasttestnow.com/index.php

Thanks for posting.  I saved this for my Enchanted cruise for New Years Eve.  I hate having to jump through all the hoops (did that for my month long trip in Maui in February) but it is worth it!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, memoak said:

Isn't Princess still testing at the port at Southampton ?

It says the testing has to be 2 days out, not the day of. We arrive 3 days before embarkation and that is too far ahead of the two days to be tested. Otherwise, of course we would test BEFORE we flew all of the way to London.

• Like 1

Since the current supply of tests had the expiration date extended to the end of the year due to a shortage of tests. I would assume they will be changing to a vaccinated OR test option I do not foresee the stock of tests increasing significantly as covid numbers continue to drop. 

43 minutes ago, john160 said:

Since the current supply of tests had the expiration date extended to the end of the year due to a shortage of tests. I would assume they will be changing to a vaccinated OR test option I do not foresee the stock of tests increasing significantly as covid numbers continue to drop. 

We  can only hope. Scheduled to sail in mid January 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, john160 said:

The reason that the amount of tests available may increase is that there is an increasing demand for them as they are more and more being required. Also, they now have the experience of having destroyed tests as the demand went down as Covid declined only to find that they were needed again as Covid spiked again. I would think they would have learned from that experience.

4 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

The reason that the amount of tests available may increase is that there is an increasing demand for them as they are more and more being required. Also, they now have the experience of having destroyed tests as the demand went down as Covid declined only to find that they were needed again as Covid spiked again. I would think they would have learned from that experience.

And now the numbers are declining again. I could very well be wrong but I think the requirement for vaccinated passengers to test will stop. Other large venues are requiring vaccination or test, I think the requirements will be adopted to the cruise industry as well. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, john160 said:

And now the numbers are declining again. I could very well be wrong but I think the requirement for vaccinated passengers to test will stop. Other large venues are requiring vaccination or test, I think the requirements will be adopted to the cruise industry as well. 

I think that will take awhile to happen. There has already been the experience of cases going down and then spikes happening. I would not expect the requirements to lessen until there is a long downturn in new cases (which I hope happens soon). 

• Like 1

On 10/2/2021 at 2:15 PM, Cruise Raider said:

I can’t comprehend why anyone would want to test after traveling all the way to the pier only to find out that you may test positive.  The vaccines don’t prevent you from contracting CoVid … it’s a virus and that’s what viruses do…they mutate and spread.  What the vaccine does do is prevent the majority of the people that receive it from getting seriously ill if they do contract it.  But, even the vaccine’s benefits are proving to wane over time.  
But, my point is, whay would anybody go through the hassle of not testing until they get to the pier.  Why would anybody want to unknowingly infect anyone on a plane or an Uber or shuttle only to have to turn around and find a way home in the event they test positive at the pier … assuming the pier is further than walking distance from your home? 
We live relatively close to the port of San Francisco and even the home tests that we can order via the Princess website are cheaper than an Uber ride to our home port.  And with that known, would anybody really want to subject an Uber driver that is just trying to make a living or someone just trying to get from point A to point B on public transportation or a plane to this nasty virus?  
Hopefully,, the home kits can be sent out to anyone that wants one for a nominal fee in the near future … until then, I don’t believe $35 is too much to ask for one now.  If Princess sends therm out with their medallions and charges $35 more per person for the cruise, maybe that would be an equitable solution.  Someone is making a lot of money from the testing supplies but I don’t believe it is Princess.  

simple, we fly out off s.Sac. Ca. On Nov 14 a. m. Testing site is closed when we fly so we have no choice but to test in Florida

53 minutes ago, Platinum Cruisers2 said:

simple, we fly out off s.Sac. Ca. On Nov 14 a. m. Testing site is closed when we fly so we have no choice but to test in Florida

What happens if you test positive, though?  Then what?  Wouldn't it be easier to just purchase a monitored home kit for $35 pp?  Surely that's cheaper than a wasted flight and all the associated costs and hassles if you aren't able to fly home on a commercial airline until you test negative.  

• Like 1

On 10/2/2021 at 5:15 PM, Cruise Raider said:

I can’t comprehend why anyone would want to test after traveling all the way to the pier only to find out that you may test positive.  The vaccines don’t prevent you from contracting CoVid … it’s a virus and that’s what viruses do…they mutate and spread.  What the vaccine does do is prevent the majority of the people that receive it from getting seriously ill if they do contract it.  But, even the vaccine’s benefits are proving to wane over time.  
But, my point is, whay would anybody go through the hassle of not testing until they get to the pier.  Why would anybody want to unknowingly infect anyone on a plane or an Uber or shuttle only to have to turn around and find a way home in the event they test positive at the pier … assuming the pier is further than walking distance from your home? 
We live relatively close to the port of San Francisco and even the home tests that we can order via the Princess website are cheaper than an Uber ride to our home port.  And with that known, would anybody really want to subject an Uber driver that is just trying to make a living or someone just trying to get from point A to point B on public transportation or a plane to this nasty virus?  
Hopefully,, the home kits can be sent out to anyone that wants one for a nominal fee in the near future … until then, I don’t believe $35 is too much to ask for one now.  If Princess sends therm out with their medallions and charges $35 more per person for the cruise, maybe that would be an equitable solution.  Someone is making a lot of money from the testing supplies but I don’t believe it is Princess.  

100% on point!!! 

• Thanks 1

Princess update for US departures:

UPDATED: Will you offer COVID-19 testing near the terminal before my cruise?

We strongly recommend all guests take a viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) prior to leaving home to avoid queues and travel disruptions associated with a possible positive test result on the day of embarkation.

We understand that it may be difficult for some of our guests to find testing that can provide results within a 2-day turnaround. Accordingly, for guests who did not receive their test results within 2 days prior to their embarkation, we have mobile testing sites near our embarkation ports to conduct COVID-19 testing the day before, or day of, your cruise departure.

The company providing the testing will charge a per-person fee of $150. Providers will not accept insurance, but you will be provided a receipt should you wish to submit the cost to your insurance carrier. Please consider this as a back-up alternative should you not be able to make arrangements prior to leaving home.

In accordance with CDC protocols, guests who test positive for COVID-19 on embarkation day will be denied boarding, together with their family members and close contacts, may be required to quarantine shoreside, and may be restricted from commercial air travel. If you, your family members, traveling companions or other close contacts are suspected of having COVID-19 and are denied boarding, you will be entitled to a 100% Future Cruise Credit.

Edited by Musky Ike
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Musky Ike said:

We strongly recommend all guests take a viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) prior to leaving home to avoid queues and travel disruptions associated with a possible positive test result on the day of embarkation.

We understand that it may be difficult for some of our guests to find testing that can provide results within a 2-day turnaround. Accordingly, for guests who did not receive their test results within 2 days prior to their embarkation, we have mobile testing sites near our embarkation ports to conduct COVID-19 testing the day before, or day of, your cruise departure.

The company providing the testing will charge a per-person fee of $150. Providers will not accept insurance, but you will be provided a receipt should you wish to submit the cost to your insurance carrier. Please consider this as a back-up alternative should you not be able to make arrangements prior to leaving home.

In accordance with CDC protocols, guests who test positive for COVID-19 on embarkation day will be denied boarding, together with their family members and close contacts, may be required to quarantine shoreside, and may be restricted from commercial air travel. If you, your family members, traveling companions or other close contacts are suspected of having COVID-19 and are denied boarding, you will be entitled to a 100% Future Cruise Credit.

While this is good news for US residents it's costly for international passengers. Testing seems to be so expensive in US. For international passengers who cannot claim off insurance $150 per person does seem a lot especially if you've already paid for tests for transatlantic flights. In Northern Ireland (UK) where I live we can get a walk in supervised Antigen Test for £35 ($48) and PCR £59 ($80) per person. Unfortunately we will need to test in US again, prior to our forthcoming cruise in January 2022, as we arrive in California 5 days prior to our cruise. So unable to use our pre flight tests from our transatlantic flights.

1 hour ago, emerald6273 said:

While this is good news for US residents it's costly for international passengers. Testing seems to be so expensive in US. For international passengers who cannot claim off insurance $150 per person does seem a lot especially if you've already paid for tests for transatlantic flights. In Northern Ireland (UK) where I live we can get a walk in supervised Antigen Test for £35 ($48) and PCR £59 ($80) per person. Unfortunately we will need to test in US again, prior to our forthcoming cruise in January 2022, as we arrive in California 5 days prior to our cruise. So unable to use our pre flight tests from our transatlantic flights.

In California there is no charge for testing and is available for any reason as the purpose is to help suppress the spread of the virus. See https://covid19.ca.gov/get-tested/ for information and to find a testing site. I need to read that in detail to see if transient passengers such as you are covered or have to pay. At that site there is a a GIS map of the testing locations and who provides them.
The services they refer to perform PCR tests and have the results in 48 hours or less.

It is easiest to use the search capability of the GIS map on a larger format device than a mobile phone.

By the way I have posted a question at the web site I mentioned above regarding what is the policy regarding payment for Covid-19 tests by people in transit through California. It may take several days for a response to be posted.

Edited by brisalta

20 hours ago, Musky Ike said:

Yeah good updates on their site 

1 hour ago, brisalta said:

IThe services they refer to perform PCR tests and have the results in 48 hours or less.

Thanks, great information. Where did you see 48 hours or less for results ?

Edit: I saw this in the site Questions section

Turnaround time for coronavirus test results is usually less than two days. About two-thirds come back within a day, and more than 85% are available within two days.

Edited by Tedferg

1 hour ago, brisalta said:

In California there is no charge for testing and is available for any reason as the purpose is to help suppress the spread of the virus. See https://covid19.ca.gov/get-tested/ for information and to find a testing site. I need to read that in detail to see if transient passengers such as you are covered or have to pay. At that site there is a a GIS map of the testing locations and who provides them.
The services they refer to perform PCR tests and have the results in 48 hours or less.

It is easiest to use the search capability of the GIS map on a larger format device than a mobile phone.

By the way I have posted a question at the web site I mentioned above regarding what is the policy regarding payment for Covid-19 tests by people in transit through California. It may take several days for a response to be posted.

There's only no charge for US residents. We wouldn't be able to access this unfortunately.

37 minutes ago, emerald6273 said:

There's only no charge for US residents. We wouldn't be able to access this unfortunately.

If the purpose of the test being free was really to suppress the spread of Covid, it really should be free to everybody.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ontheweb said:

If the purpose of the test being free was really to suppress the spread of Covid, it really should be free to everybody.

There are some testing sites that only ask for email address.

For example the ones run by Color.

See https://thepointsguy.com/guide/where-to-get-covid-test-travel/ I know it is a bit of a long read but the information is buried in there.

• Like 1