Angst About Pre-Cruise Testing - Wouldn't It Be Good Customer Service For Princess To Do The Testing At The Pier?

SargassoPirate

2 hours ago, Jadn13 said:

The proctors are available for all time zones so it could be done at any point and a proctor would be reached.

Like you said, you did it. 
The home test was easy and stress free it’s worth looking into for anyone who is stressing about getting a test.

It’s also cost efficient 

I mostly agree with you.  It was easy and (relatively) inexpensive.  And the eMed test proctors are currently available 24/7, but there's no guarantee that they will continue to be.  And there's no guarantee there won't be an insufferably long wait for a proctor at the time you/I/they need or want to test.  I got lucky here; I had literally no wait for a proctor at that ungodly hour, I tested at that time because I was wide awake at that time, and if there was a long wait, it would have been easy for me to choose another time.

On 10/2/2021 at 2:27 PM, SargassoPirate said:

Several thread here document the angst people have trying to fit a Covid test into their pre-cruise flight and travel plans.  That coupled with a wonky app makes one wonder if it's worth the effort.

Wouldn't it be a much better start to a cruise if Princess set up pre-cruise Covid testing at the pier?

Having to fly internationally to embarkation port, I think it might be helpful for cruise lines to set up a walk in test centre at an hotel close to port, where passengers could walk in day before cruise and have their results emailed to them and possibly even to cruiseline to save showing Qr code/ paper version. ( not everyone would agree to sharing personal information)This might not suit everyone but a great number of passengers arrive at port one or more days prior to embarkation and those who don’t probably live close enough to test at home.

30 minutes ago, Jadn13 said:

I researched this testing facility it's about 20 mins from Port Everglades, they have a Whatsapp and an email  so those travelling internationally should be able to easily reach out

https://fasttestnow.com/index.php

image.thumb.png.ba5cc807d0d42a9a3d453d60fa7c13d4.png

This could be helpful..but I would suggest many international travellers do not have a hire car, so might have difficulty getting there.

• Like 1

This is the space we are occupying right now and if you want to travel for a vacation/holiday then you must get tested.

Options exist and various obstacles will arise but if you want to travel you will find a way to take a home test, an uber to a testing site or you even hire a nurse to come to your hotel (I did this)

It's not "angst" free but not much in life is  "angst" free right now. 

Edited by Jadn13
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, Reina del Mar said:

Having to fly internationally to embarkation port, I think it might be helpful for cruise lines to set up a walk in test centre at an hotel close to port, where passengers could walk in day before cruise and have their results emailed to them and possibly even to cruiseline to save showing Qr code/ paper version. ( not everyone would agree to sharing personal information)This might not suit everyone but a great number of passengers arrive at port one or more days prior to embarkation and those who don’t probably live close enough to test at home.

This could be helpful..but I would suggest many international travellers do not have a hire car, so might have difficulty getting there.

Uber or your hotel can call you a taxi, options exist if you really want to travel right now. 

Ubers/Taxis  would be fine but additional ‘angst’ could be avoided for passengers,  by cruise lines setting up their own testing in an hotel close to port, as mentioned in previous post. 

Such is life at the moment, we all have to do what we have to do to cruise, but I think cruise lines could be more supportive.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2021 at 9:27 AM, SargassoPirate said:

Several thread here document the angst people have trying to fit a Covid test into their pre-cruise flight and travel plans.  That coupled with a wonky app makes one wonder if it's worth the effort.

Wouldn't it be a much better start to a cruise if Princess set up pre-cruise Covid testing at the pier?

Princess is testing at Port. You do not need pre flight test as of 10/4 but still need to schedule and pre pay for 2 day test if staying in UK. If going directly to ship you put “In Transit” on your locator form and you will not need a test. This applies only to UK cruises/Transatlantics. US departures have different criteria. I think a 2 day pre cruise test still required. 

On 10/2/2021 at 10:36 AM, Jadn13 said:

You can always ask your pre cruise hotel if they will accept a package  for you and have your tests shipped there. I would have a back up plan just in case something goes wrong  but it’s worth the ask. 

Exactly what I did. 69 pound sterling. You pay and get a verification number which you must have when clearing customs 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reina del Mar said:

If flying to UK you can have a test sent to your hotel, 24 hr turnaround. This is to comply with 2 day after arrival test.  Only test required for UK. No pre flight testing required. If going directly to port then this is not necessary. Princess testing free at port before boarding. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Goldengal said:

If flying to UK you can have a test sent to your hotel, 24 hr turnaround. This is to comply with 2 day after arrival test.  Only test required for UK. No pre flight testing required. If going directly to port then this is not necessary. Princess testing free at port before boarding. 

But of course, if you are only staying in the UK for two or three days there is no point posting off your sample ! 

1 hour ago, Billish said:

But of course, if you are only staying in the UK for two or three days there is no point posting off your sample ! 

It matters not if you send it but you must pay for it and get the kit. I agree, waste of time and money-maker for UK. 

4 hours ago, Jadn13 said:

Just read this, unfortunately it explains that  unless you have a US phone you won't be able to ship to administer a test at the hotel.

Another wrench for international travelers in the US

Thought you can do the test with a PC with webcam and microphone.  Or, perhaps it was another test?

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Thought you can do the test with a PC with webcam and microphone.  Or, perhaps it was another test?

It’s the NAVICA App availability that is the issue, you register all the details on the App and then allow Emed access to your details even if you are using a computer for the test

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Platinum Cruisers2 said:

Where's every one getting the Antigen test in Fort Lauderdale? Ty

.......    ..

I researched this testing facility it's about 20 mins from Port Everglades, they have a Whatsapp and an email  so those travelling internationally should be able to easily reach out

https://fasttestnow.com/index.php

On 10/2/2021 at 6:33 AM, Mike07 said:

Yes for the convenience factor.

However, if you pop positive on the test, there is a chance you will be hours away (by plane) from your home.  Considering the age of some of the passengers, that may not be a good thing.  Not all of us live within an hour (driving) of the pier.

A pier test would be great, but again, only if you know you're going to test negative.  COVID is weird as heck with the way symptoms present from asymptomatic to full blown.

And this is exactly why it is a horrible thing for many of us. I can test 3 miles away. But even if that option wasn't available, I can test at home. 

12 minutes ago, darknightsdespiser said:

So spend a precious days holiday travelling, pay for a hotel the night before THEN discover you aren't allowed on?

And then passengers who test positive the morning of cruise throw a fit when their results are positive. 

If I ran a cruise line, I would do everything possible to eliminate any "day of the cruise drama" for employees (they shouldn't have to deal with customers that throw a fit once they learn they won't be cruising the morning of embarkation).

• Like 4

3 hours ago, awhcruiser said:

What if Princess did offer tests at the pier and someone tested positive?  There would be a lot of unhappy people.

Which has happened in the UK. Everyone travelling in the same family group are denied boarding as well.

• Like 2

On 10/2/2021 at 6:31 AM, fabby50 said:

There shouldn't be any angst anymore, you can easily meet the testing requirements testing at home.  Took 20 minutes and easy.  I think people are still learning about at home testing, the word needs to get out to everyone trying to cruise.

Not every one has an I phone, computer, etc.

some areas in U S A don't even have internet.

also not all people are I T savy so I politely disagree with you.

Princess should & could make it much easier to obtain the Antigen test at a reasonable cost.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Platinum Cruisers2 said:

Not every one has an I phone, computer, etc.

some areas in U S A don't even have internet.

also not all people are I T savy so I politely disagree with you.

Princess should & could make it much easier to obtain the Antigen test at a reasonable cost.

100 % agree.

And let's not forget that the IT savvy folks at Princess cannot make their medallion app work properly. And at the same time they took away the capability to do many of the necessary things from the Personalizer.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

100 % agree.

And let's not forget that the IT savvy folks at Princess cannot make their medallion app work properly. And at the same time they took away the capability to do many of the necessary things from the Personalizer.

Any update on when they will provide a web based version of the App ?