Amex offer - $350 off $1,000 - expires 12/31/21

I'm going to keep an eye on AMEX offers and watch Cruise Critic.  It was a nice savings.  We usually use my RCI Visa for the points, which add up to reduce the cruise fare, buy onboard credit or give free companion fare or free cruise.  

RCI cruise-fares have gone up so I'll play all angles for price reduction  

I have three questions.  First does it matter if I use a Delta AMEX or a regular Amex? 

What is the credit for a $1000 payment?

And, when you get the credit is it just deducted from your Amex or is it a credit towards royal Caribbean?

19 minutes ago, artvlay said:

I have three questions.  First does it matter if I use a Delta AMEX or a regular Amex? 

What is the credit for a $1000 payment?

And, when you get the credit is it just deducted from your Amex or is it a credit towards royal Caribbean?

You have to have the offer on your card and add it to your card. It wasn't being offered on the branded Amex cards like Delta.

1 hour ago, AshleyDillo said:

You have to have the offer on your card and add it to your card. It wasn't being offered on the branded Amex cards like Delta.

Thank you for the info. So I dont know if I received the offer, I only know about it from Cruise critic. Should I contact amex?

3 hours ago, artvlay said:

Thank you for the info. So I dont know if I received the offer, I only know about it from Cruise critic. Should I contact amex?

You would have to log onto your unbranded AmEx account online, see the offer in your available offers, add it to your card, and then make the qualifying purchase.  

Since it sounds like all the available offers have been claimed, it's unlikely that you'll find it in your current offers if you look now.  In other words, you missed out this time.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, brillohead said:

You would have to log onto your unbranded AmEx account online, see the offer in your available offers, add it to your card, and then make the qualifying purchase.  

Since it sounds like all the available offers have been claimed, it's unlikely that you'll find it in your current offers if you look now.  In other words, you missed out this time.

Ok, thanks for the information anyway, appreciate it.

• 3 weeks later...

Resurrecting this thread to ask .. Has anyone had first hand experience having used and received the Amex $500 or $200 promo on a cruise that subsequently been cancelled by Royal?

By using two different cards, we managed to get $700 back on a cruise that was cancelled yesterday. My thinking is that I don't won't to take the full refund back to either card since that could trigger a claw back of the promo. I plan to default to FCC instead.

However, airfare (Air2Sea), taxes, and fees will be refunded to one of the cards. So there is still risk of claw back. Of note is that the merchant listed when the promo paid off was Royal Caribbean, so they may have a stake in the claw back.

11 minutes ago, publicpersona said:

Resurrecting this thread to ask .. Has anyone had first hand experience having used and received the Amex $500 or $200 promo on a cruise that subsequently been cancelled by Royal?

By using two different cards, we managed to get $700 back on a cruise that was cancelled yesterday. My thinking is that I don't won't to take the full refund back to either card since that could trigger a claw back of the promo. I plan to default to FCC instead.

However, airfare (Air2Sea), taxes, and fees will be refunded to one of the cards. So there is still risk of claw back. Of note is that the merchant listed when the promo paid off was Royal Caribbean, so they may have a stake in the claw back.

My thought is the promotion is over and your charges and credits will be handled like the promotion never existed. 

10 minutes ago, ticketsunlimited said:

My thought is the promotion is over and your charges and credits will be handled like the promotion never existed. 

Well, I have the same hope as well but the terms and conditions say

Statement credit may be reversed if qualifying purchase is returned/cancelled.

The worst-case scenario is that I take FCC to avoid the claw back, but then after the deadline for requesting refund passes, it gets clawed back anyway.

Not with this particular offer, but I have used many AmEx offers on different cruise lines, some as deposits on cruises I cancelled down the line, and they have never taken the money back. I don’t think any of them were over $150 though. That might make a difference. 

• Like 1

Agreed - there is surely a risk of clawback as Amex has done it for many offers in the past.  However, the specific question asked...it depends.  After whatever refund you get (taxes/port charges/pre-purchased items for on board) so long as the total remaining charges are over the amount required to trigger the credit, you should be fine.  If you dip below that amount, you risk a clawback (and perhaps in that case a FCC is worth going for).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, publicpersona said:

I used a few offers on a Carnival cruise that was canceled by Carnival and refunded to my Amex and Amex didn’t take back the credits. There was several months between getting the credits and getting the refund.

Edited by Jerseygirl1416
  • Like 2

On 1/8/2022 at 11:01 AM, publicpersona said:

I guess I would think of it this way. If you take FCC then you plan to give business back to Royal in the future and keeping the credit makes sense.  If you take a full refund I don’t think it’s right to even think we should be able to keep the credit. 

8 hours ago, CruisingHogFan said:

I guess I would think of it this way. If you take FCC then you plan to give business back to Royal in the future and keeping the credit makes sense.  If you take a full refund I don’t think it’s right to even think we should be able to keep the credit. 

Neither do I. That's why my focus is on the FCC path.

I used three different cards on this booking (and there could have been more with shore excursions, etc.). There's really no telling which card or cards they will refund to. Deposit and final payment covered both amounts that will be refunded and amounts that will turn into FCC.

On 1/8/2022 at 12:01 PM, publicpersona said:

I am in similar situation, will receive FCC for the cruise fare but taxes/fees/excursion will be refunded back to the card. Just checking to see if someone has first hand experience on what will happen to the AMEX credit if Refund put me under the offer spend threshold.