Back to back cruise - different cruise line - Covid Testing

Bigbluesc

Hello.  I am sailing on Princess for a week out of Ft Lauderdale in January.   Once we get back from sailing on Princess, I am getting on a Royal Caribbean cruise on the same day.   Does anyone know how the Covid test process will work?  Can I get a test on Princess that would work for RC?   Has anyone else encountered this issue for other cruise lines?  Any help is appreciated.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bigbluesc said:

Hello.  I am sailing on Princess for a week out of Ft Lauderdale in January.   Once we get back from sailing on Princess, I am getting on a Royal Caribbean cruise on the same day.   Does anyone know how the Covid test process will work?  Can I get a test on Princess that would work for RC?   Has anyone else encountered this issue for other cruise lines?  Any help is appreciated.  

Howdy @Bigbluesc emo22.gif

Welcome to the Cruise Critic message boards and thank you for your first new thread! 👍 See the Cruise Critic article Top 8 Things You Can Do on the Cruise Critic Message Boards to Enhance Your Cruise.

To help you out I have moved your new thread to the Princess Cruises forum where it will be on topic. The majority of your fellow Cruise Critic members that have sailed or will be sailing Princess frequent this forum and provide feedback here. Browse through the thread titles on this forum l👀king for threads of interest. You will probably find  your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that will be of interest to you.

Cruise Critic is a great resource for new as well as experienced cruisers and we are so glad you are posting on the boards! emo34.gif  Please feel free to browse the Cruise Critic Community Categories list. Read a few threads in the different forums to get a feel for what each forum is about. Make sure you read any pinned threads (aka Stickies) on the top of the first page of threads in a forum. You will find very important instructions or information there.

Please remember the following stated in the Guidelines we all agreed to follow when registering for our free Cruise Critic memberships:

Browse Before You Post
Browse a topic first to see if your question has already been asked or answered by someone else. Also, many of the major cruise lines forums have a FAQ (Frequently Asked Question) topic that has been created by our members. Give that a try first. Browsing is your #1 best resource! Please post your messages in an appropriate topic so that you'll receive the best possible response. It is very time consuming to move misplaced messages that are in the wrong topics.

Anytime you need to start a new thread/topic on a forum, first make sure you are in the correct forum for your topic. Word your new thread title in a way to help the members know exactly the information you seek. This greatly helps the members browsing through the thread titles and if they know the information they will reply to you.

It is best to limit each inquiry to only one topic or concerning only one cruise line, one ship, one port of call, etc. and of course, on the correct forum. emo3.gif  You will get more replies that way. Be sure to mention your cruise line, ship, port or sail date in your inquiry as that sort of information will help your fellow Cruise Critic members help you.

Please be sure to use the Follow feature on threads where you are interested in the replies. You won't have to go l👀king to see if there are new posts because they will come l👀king for you as notifications! emo34.gif For more info please see How to: Follow Topics & Forums (Subscribed Threads/Forums Info) and How To: Change Email Settings/Unsubscribe: Notification Settings.

I want to let you know the specific Cruise Critic Roll Call thread for your line, ship and sail date will be the place for you to get to know the other Cruise Critic members sailing with you before your cruise. Your fellow Roll Call thread members may have important information posted in your Roll Call thread. Especially those that have sailed your line, ship or itinerary before. Also, there may be existing share requests already posted in the Roll Call thread that you might want to join.

Per the Guidelines, the specific Roll Call thread for your cruise is the only place on the Cruise Critic message boards where you and your fellow Roll Call thread members are allowed to post personal ads about sharing private tours, excursions, transportation etc. with each other to 💲ave money. That is ... if COVID-19 protocol allows by then. There is a "captive audience" on your Roll Call thread since you are all sailing together! emo3.gif You will receive a much better response to your share request if you take some time to read the entire Roll Call thread, post an introductory post about yourself, and continue on with more posts back and forth to get to know the other Roll Call  thread members and allow them to get to know you first before you post your share request. That is the spirit of our Roll Calls. emo34.gif

To explain our Roll Call threads and finding the Roll Call thread for your line, ship and sail date, please read What is a Roll Call? Everything you Need to Know and How To: Create A New Roll Call. Since you do not mention your sail dates, I cannot direct you to the existing Roll Call threads for your cruises if they are already established.

For more information about our famous Roll Calls, please read the Roll Calls and Our Policy Regarding Facebook and Roll Calls sections in the Guidelines. We also have a Cruise Critic article you might enjoy too: 8 Reasons to Join a Cruise Critic Roll Call

And don't forget, after your cruise be sure to submit your review for publication by Cruise Critic. Many cruisers will benefit from your experience! emo49.gif  See How To: Submit a Member Review.

Sorry this is so long, but I sincerely hope all this information will be helpful to someone new to posting on our message boards. Welcome again, and we are so glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

Not sure why Kat sent the note she did. Looks like a relevant  question to me!

Princess would do it if you were doing a B2B with them, but doubt they would do this. Wonder if a home test with proctor kit could be taken. First trip and used from first ship with phone? Or airport if Fll has option there, or a nearby drugstore on turnaround day or other instant spot?   Good luck. Also, RC may have pier set up for their passengers who could not get test for some reason. Call them.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bigbluesc said:

IDK why Princess would want to test their customers in order to enable them to sail with the competition.  If you do get a test from them, you would be better off letting them know it is for flying.  My guess is you are on your own or have to pay for a test.  

There is a long thread on ordering self-test kits on the internet and they must be the type that are monitored remotely by medical personnel.  If you get these and take them with you, you could do the test on board as long as you have internet access. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, richstowe said:

Gotta believe this is a question best answered by RC . Normally I'd agree with Steelers36 but perhaps the cruise lines are being more collaborative these days. Hope I'm not being naive.

Yes, if RC is offering dockside testing at check-in, then that would seem to be a convenient way to go.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

IDK why Princess would want to test their customers in order to enable them to sail with the competition.  If you do get a test from them, you would be better off letting them know it is for flying.  My guess is you are on your own or have to pay for a test.  

There is a long thread on ordering self-test kits on the internet and they must be the type that are monitored remotely by medical personnel.  If you get these and take them with you, you could do the test on board as long as you have internet access. 

IMHO, the reason to do this for Princess or any other cruise line is for the good of the industry as a whole. Given the present situation, the entire industry will either float or sink. (pun intended)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, muffin said:

Not sure why Kat sent the note she did...

OT but... everyone please notice OP is a new member & it was their first post. Just wanted to give them a warm welcome and info on how some things work around here. To me, it is just as any host would do for a first time visitor in their home.

Some folks around here need to think back to when they were newbies here. I imagine they may have made some sort of missteps on the board in the beginning of their memberships. From time to time new members are being greeted with replies that are rude, snarky or tacky just because the new member is not familiar with how some things work around here. As we say in Texas, just tryin' to head 'em off at the pass.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Since Princess will test passengers prior to departure if their travel plans requires such a test (such as returning to their home country).  There is the possibility that you can get tested prior to disembarkation.  I would contact Princess and let them know that your travel plans upon disembarkation  requires a test and see what they say about getting one scheduled on board and the cost if any.

7 hours ago, nocl said:

Since Princess will test passengers prior to departure if their travel plans requires such a test (such as returning to their home country).  There is the possibility that you can get tested prior to disembarkation.

Princess is now doing these tests on shore on disembarkation day.

9 hours ago, CruiserRob said:

I am doing this same thing at the end of October.  My TA contacted Princess and they said that they would test DW and I when we exited the ship even though we are changing cruise lines.

That is welcome news. I hope you get that in writing, and bring the written proof with you onboard.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, CruiserRob said:

Princess did provide the test.

Glad to hear this as we are also doing a side to side the following day. Have followed this question closely most post's seemed to confirm no problem getting a test before leaving ship. Back in August I had a call from Princess confirming that we could get tested before leaving ship, saved it on voicemail. We will also have our Abbot Binax test kits as a backup. As an old Scout I like to leave nothing to chance. Wife is so looking forward to being on a ship again, that I would hate to see the storm that would arise if she cannot get on board.😉😀