Which tour in Ephesus?

I'm just starting to get my duck in a row for a cruise that calls at Ephesus (Kusadasi, to be precise) next May. We have never been to Turkey so we would like to do something worthwhile in the port.

I would prefer to do a ship-sponsored excursion in this port; I can be quite adventurous in places I've visited before but not so much in those I'm completely unfamiliar with. We are not at all religious so Mary's House, which seems to feature in the vast majority of the excursions offered by the cruise line, is something which holds no real interest for us. However, based on all the great information here on the boards I've narrowed it down to two options that I think would work for us and I would be interested to hear opinions from those of you who are familiar with the area. I'm not asking specifically about the excursions but more about the places they visit and, based on that, which of the two options you might think out-trumps the other.

One of our options is a 4-hour excursion that visits Ephesus and includes the Terraced Houses. The other is a 7-and-a-half hour trip that goes to Ephesus, Didyma, and Miletus but does not include the Terraced Houses during the stop in Ephesus. The longer trip includes an "authentic" (raised eyebrow) Turkish lunch at a 5* hotel and costs roughly $20 more per person than the shorter one.

I am very active and DH is reasonably so, meaning mobility isn't an issue, but his interest in ancient history is mild so it needs to be something that will really capture his attention and hold it for the length of the tour or he'll be bored and get grumpy. For example, he was really impressed by Pompeii to the extent that he was even keen to do a return visit. He also enjoyed, a good few years ago now, a visit to a place in Cyprus that I am reminded of by the description of the terraced houses but can't remember the name of. I'm betting someone on here will know the place I mean!

Any opinions and suggestions will be very gratefully received. Thanks for your insight.

I’ve actually done both of these excursions with a cruise ship.  For a first visit, I would opt for the tour that does the Terrace Houses.  They are pretty special to see, as is Ephesus itself.  I’m very glad I did the excursion to Didyma and Miletus, but, I find the Terrace Houses more memorable.  I wouldn’t miss them.  I just happened to be lucky to be on B2B cruises that stopped in Kusadasi 2 weeks in a row. 

And with a shorter excursion, you will have time to walk around Kusadasi and relax some along the waterfront or in a cafe or similar.  Or a rug store!!

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Thanks 1

(Before I start let me agree with you regarding the House of Mary.....)

I will go the opposite direction and recommend the tour with Ephesus, Didyma and Miletus. With a longer tour, they will not spend eons of time in each site, but each one has some impressive places.

In Ephesus there is nothing like walking down the ancient Curetes street and catching a first glimpse of the famed library. It is the equal of seeing the forum in Pompeii with Vesuvius looming behind it -- one of those goose-bumps moments. The theater is also impressive and worth remembering that it's the place where the Ephesians basically started a riot when Paul came to preach there.

Didyma in antiquity was not a separate place but a sacred temple on the outskirts of Miletus. Its remains are EXTREMELY impressive. I was awestruck when I first saw it, and it wasn't my first "ruins" rodeo. I have read in several texts that if it had been completed when the original list of the wonders of the ancient world was put together, the temple would've been on it.  I don't know about that, but the scale of it is huge and all of the decorative work is Hellenistic* to a high degree. Also the ruins that can be seen today are the remains of the second or third temple on the site and were ordered and funded by Alexander the Great.

Miletus is actually a huge ancient town but most of the ruins are not visible today. I have spent hours poring over the site but most guided tours take you there only to show you the well preserved theater. Although Miletus was originally a Greek, then Hellenistic city, the Romans took it over and the remains of the theatre are largely from the Roman period. It is one of the largest in Asia Minor, with a seating capacity for around 15,000 people (second only to Ephesus, I think?). There are some minor bath ruins near the theater but I doubt they will stay too long....

While the Terrace houses are also a "wow", I feel that it is a detailed view of a part of the Ephesus site. While definitely impressive, I would rate having a chance to see three separate sites over seeing just one in more detail unless one is highly into that detail. I think you come away with a much better understanding of just how populous, wealthy, and cultured the entire area was in antiquity if you take the tour to three places. (And by the way, Turkish food is absolutely delicious!)

*For those who don't know, the Hellenistic period followed the Classical Greek period of architecture somewhat like the Baroque (oversized, overly detailed, "too much") followed the Renaissance (classical, restrained, ordered).  So this temple would be the "Baroque" to the Parthenon's "Renaissance"....)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

We have done the Terraced Houses twice.  Both time on private tours that got us there early in order o avoid the buses.   We thought this was the highlight both times.

We were with two in laws on the second trip.  They wanted to see Mary's House so we asked the tour guide to take us.  Our  impression was that it was little more than a well conceived tourist trap.

I would give other options like a Turkish lunch, visit to a 'craft factory' etc.  a wide  berth unless you are interested in getting a pitch for leather clothing or carpets or your basic trinkets and trash tourist shops.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We’ve visited Ephesus several times.   We did enjoy the terrace houses twice and Mary’s House as well.  
The last time we did a private tour to Priene,  Didyma and Miletus and were absolutely stunned by what we saw.   We also enjoyed an excellent Turkish lunch of fresh fish, salad, dessert.   The first photo was the view we had at lunch.  

I would agree with Cruise mom, take the opportunity to see some of Ephesus along other two less visited sites.

60C17664-26C2-4A87-A086-9FD5578BAFEF.jpeg

A28BB680-547B-4571-8432-A0A6F757C49C.jpeg

7AC18706-A3EC-4A54-8C0B-8957E4D86383.jpeg

82B99E4E-846E-4071-A343-DA0458BA084A.jpeg

80829943-CF32-495F-AD6D-EC764E500BCA.jpeg

1143C842-338B-4EAC-B0CC-ECD2050AA78E.jpeg

22382AE9-BE12-4B0E-89CB-E8F778359E59.jpeg

5E8E5DD4-2510-4726-B535-64FF35E370A3.jpeg

8EDF59CA-C90D-4513-84ED-AD4B779FCF27.jpeg

36BAF6C6-97BD-4B19-87EC-3A82F55796F0.jpeg

3DA9CE17-C1CE-4E8E-8ADB-596B86C56D9B.jpeg

96F03A1A-5EA0-497E-8386-0F2D4B61C49C.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for your very helpful input. You've definitely given me some (Turkish) food for thought. I think I had better go away and do some serious research into all of these sites to help with the decision. I would do both if I could!

@MeHeartCruising, what a stroke of luck to be able to do both excursions on b2b cruises. The cruise the week after ours is also calling there for a second time but it's just too many days for me to be away from work. One day, when we're both retired... (sigh). A wander around Kusadasi does sound appealing if we decide to go with the shorter option.

@cruisemom42, thanks so much for all the detail. You are so knowledgeable about this area, it's a pleasure to read all your posts. You really bring history to life.

@iancal, thanks for sharing your experience. I wouldn't mind trying some genuine Turkish food but I wonder just how "authentic" it's going to be if it's being served up to a bunch of western tourists in a 5* hotel. I don't think we'll be able to escape the carpet pitch though. There doesn't seem to be a single excursion on offer that doesn't include it...

@bennybear, thank you for sharing your fabulous photos. I'm even more excited for this stop now and it wasn't even a priority when we booked the cruise, it was more a kind of bonus to add to getting to visit two Greek Isles we've not been to yet!

• Like 1

@FionaMG   The photos are of Miletus and Didyma.   The food we have had on three visits has been wonderful local food arranged by our private guide.  The good thing about a private guide is they take you where you want to go,  and skip the rug and leather demos. 

Just a comment on wandering around Kusadasi,   Unless you wish to shop there isn’t much to see compared to what is in the area.   Last time we didn’t find much pressure but in other years there had been interesting pitches😉

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

We took a wonderful tour with Magic Steps Travel. We went to the House of the Virgin Mary which was moderately interesting only to witness how certain Christians view things (no real archaeology that is compelling as the site was determined through a German nun's vision.)

We visited Ephesus and the Terrace Houses which were amazing. In addition we were also toured St. John's Basilica in Ephesus and the site of the Temple of Artemis.

If you could get your guide to drop the House of the Virgin Mary and go to the Fortress, that would be ideal. It was closed for renovation when we were there. We also went to a Turkish buffet restaurant and enjoyed all the food. Save time for Kusadasi. We were the last cruise of the year and the shop owners were really discounting items!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I could use some help.  Celebrity rates most of their Ephesus excursions as strenuous.  How strenuous is it really?  Is it similar to Pompei?  I visited Pompei with a private guide, and even though it was 10 years ago, other than the entrance steps, it didn't seem that strenuous or difficult.

We're traveling with friends who only want to utilize the ship's excursion.  Celebrity is running a 30% off promotion now but who knows if we'll even be able to go in October.

Thanks in advance.

I'm on NCL for that one but the tour I booked mentioned appx 3 hours of walking, thus strenuous.  I booked the "Best of Ephesus".  That being said it obviously isn't a continuous non-stop 3 hr walk since we take buses to get from "here to there" so as long as no one needs a wheelchair or walker it should be fine.  I'm 66 yrs young and do these all the time when cruising with no problem.  Just take health into consideration obviously....good luck and happy sailing!

1 hour ago, baggal said:

I could use some help.  Celebrity rates most of their Ephesus excursions as strenuous.  How strenuous is it really?  Is it similar to Pompei?  I visited Pompei with a private guide, and even though it was 10 years ago, other than the entrance steps, it didn't seem that strenuous or difficult.

We're traveling with friends who only want to utilize the ship's excursion.  Celebrity is running a 30% off promotion now but who knows if we'll even be able to go in October.

Thanks in advance.

I would not consider the Ephesus site itself to be strenuous walking.  However, the ground you will be walking on is uneven -- a mixture of gravel path, irregular rock paths/old roads, up and over stone steps to get into a few locations, etc.  Unless they've changed how they do tours, you are bussed to the top of the site.  You then walk through the site, along a gradual downhill route.  It is not steep, but pretty continuously down the slope.  

If you're tour includes the Terrace Houses, you will walk up quite a few steps during this part of the tour.  The houses are ON the terrace (hence the name) in an enclosed structure.  Your tour starts at the bottom and you walk on metal walkways and steps that gradually take you up to the top of the terrace where you exit that part of the tour.  You can find YouTube videos of what this tour looks like.  I seem to recall multiple sets of 5-10 steps to navigate along the way.  They are spread out and not all at once.  For someone who is reasonably fit, there should be no problem.  For someone with walking issues or shortness of breath, I could see this being an issue perhaps.

At the top of the Terrace House, you exit the structure and then walk down a pathway, again downhill, but not strenuous. 

Once at the bottom of the sloping hill (via the regular tour and the Terrace Houses, it becomes a flat walkway through the rest of the site (by the Library of Celcus and onward to the touristy souvenir shops and back to  your buses.  

The entire walking distance it probably somewhere between 3/4 and 1 mile (just guessing).  Most of the time, you're stopping every so often to listen to the guide.  

I do not see this site significantly more strenuous than Pompeii.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, butterfly4108 said:

I'm on NCL for that one but the tour I booked mentioned appx 3 hours of walking, thus strenuous.  I booked the "Best of Ephesus".  That being said it obviously isn't a continuous non-stop 3 hr walk since we take buses to get from "here to there" so as long as no one needs a wheelchair or walker it should be fine.  I'm 66 yrs young and do these all the time when cruising with no problem.  Just take health into consideration obviously....good luck and happy sailing!

Thanks!

6 hours ago, MeHeartCruising said:

I would not consider the Ephesus site itself to be strenuous walking.  However, the ground you will be walking on is uneven -- a mixture of gravel path, irregular rock paths/old roads, up and over stone steps to get into a few locations, etc.  Unless they've changed how they do tours, you are bussed to the top of the site.  You then walk through the site, along a gradual downhill route.  It is not steep, but pretty continuously down the slope.  

If you're tour includes the Terrace Houses, you will walk up quite a few steps during this part of the tour.  The houses are ON the terrace (hence the name) in an enclosed structure.  Your tour starts at the bottom and you walk on metal walkways and steps that gradually take you up to the top of the terrace where you exit that part of the tour.  You can find YouTube videos of what this tour looks like.  I seem to recall multiple sets of 5-10 steps to navigate along the way.  They are spread out and not all at once.  For someone who is reasonably fit, there should be no problem.  For someone with walking issues or shortness of breath, I could see this being an issue perhaps.

At the top of the Terrace House, you exit the structure and then walk down a pathway, again downhill, but not strenuous. 

Once at the bottom of the sloping hill (via the regular tour and the Terrace Houses, it becomes a flat walkway through the rest of the site (by the Library of Celcus and onward to the touristy souvenir shops and back to  your buses.  

The entire walking distance it probably somewhere between 3/4 and 1 mile (just guessing).  Most of the time, you're stopping every so often to listen to the guide.  

I do not see this site significantly more strenuous than Pompeii.  

Thanks for you detailed response.  At your recommendation, I watched some You Tube videos (would have never thought of that on my own) and it looks as though we should be able to manage very nicely.  Thanks again.

• Like 1

We toured Ephesus and the Terrace Houses on a very hot day in September. Our advice is go prepared for uneven walking surfaces with good shoes.  If a hot day, there is little to no shade so go prepared with a good sun hat and water.