Bourbon available in bars

nlktx49

On 10/12/2021 at 10:07 AM, BlerkOne said:

Jack Daniels is not a bourbon, but Tennessee whiskey because it doesn't come from Bourbon County Kentucky.

Not true. The only geographic requirement is for it to be produced in the U.S. also, most of the KY distilleries are over in Lexington area; not bourbon county 

21 minutes ago, leitmotif said:

Not true. The only geographic requirement is for it to be produced in the U.S. also, most of the KY distilleries are over in Lexington area; not bourbon county 

Yes, apparently urban legend. KY distilleries produce more than bourbon.

Jack Daniels old No 7 claims to be Tennessee whiskey, and I will take their word.

JDTW_OurProducts_1600x635.jpg

Jack Daniels also produces other liquors - .e.g. Tennessee Rye

RyeProductPage_1600x635.jpg

8 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Yes, apparently urban legend. KY distilleries produce more than bourbon.

Jack Daniels old No 7 claims to be Tennessee whiskey, and I will take their word.

JDTW_OurProducts_1600x635.jpg

Jack Daniels also produces other liquors - .e.g. Tennessee Rye

RyeProductPage_1600x635.jpg

That's torture!

Anyone who knows a thing or two about good bourbon (or whiskey in general), knows by now that Carnival does not have even one single respectable bourbon on board any of their ships. Someone here earlier mentioned Basil Haydens, but I've never seen a bottle of that on any ship or I would be drinking that exclusively all day. Alas, Buffalo Trace and Woodford Reserve is as good as it gets. Those are at least drinkable compared to other "whiskeys" like Jack Daniels and Crown.

We were on Horizon in July and September. Crown is not available in any bars. I was 

told by a bartender that the bar service vendor and the fun shops vendor are two separate entities. Bar service vendor no longer offers Crown. Bought two bottles of Crown in Fun Shop for $50. Only available to take home on last night as usual. Here is a picture of available Bourbons/whiskey in Pig and Anchor…. I can say that Blantons was $10.95 and included with Cheers! 187924DD-8142-4418-9A6E-942326B614C9.thumb.jpeg.5c1e8827d98f5a0091882df70d1515e7.jpeg

Edited by cruisinpips

10 hours ago, cruisinpips said:

We were on Horizon in July and September. Crown is not available in any bars. I was 

told by a bartender that the bar service vendor and the fun shops vendor are two separate entities. Bar service vendor no longer offers Crown. Bought two bottles of Crown in Fun Shop for $50. Only available to take home on last night as usual. Here is a picture of available Bourbons/whiskey in Pig and Anchor…. I can say that Blantons was $10.95 and included with Cheers! 187924DD-8142-4418-9A6E-942326B614C9.thumb.jpeg.5c1e8827d98f5a0091882df70d1515e7.jpeg

This is a fantastic selection....  Heavy on the Buffalo Trace products for sure.   Can't go wrong with Eagle, High West, Sazerac or the Old forester.  all are great bottles.   The best bottle there in my opinion is the Eagle or the HW Double Rye!   I really hope we have that selection on the Magic in a couple weeks. 

12 hours ago, Don Kehote said:

Has anyone seen anything about Jefferson's Ocean on board?  I drove 40 miles to get a taste, and it was worth it.  If not, it seems a shame!

I googled it and found a press release from 10/6/2019. State of Ohio had 452 bottles and allocated 52 bottles per store, retail was $50.19. Ohio liquor control has held lotterys for the most hard to find brands.

also, think it was the 17 (year?) something variety of JO

Edited by mondello
Correction

3 hours ago, dreaming2012 said:

This is a fantastic selection....  Heavy on the Buffalo Trace products for sure.   Can't go wrong with Eagle, High West, Sazerac or the Old forester.  all are great bottles.   The best bottle there in my opinion is the Eagle or the HW Double Rye!   I really hope we have that selection on the Magic in a couple weeks. 

I hope it get's put on the Vista by Jan also... but I'm not holding my breath. 

4 hours ago, mondello said:

I googled it and found a press release from 10/6/2019. State of Ohio had 452 bottles and allocated 52 bottles per store, retail was $50.19. Ohio liquor control has held lotterys for the most hard to find brands.

also, think it was the 17 (year?) something variety of JO

Many distilleries are limiting production an distribution of better/rarer products.  If you ever read reviews out of Whiskey magazine and then hit your local stores for any of the 8.5+ ratings, whether $$ or $$$$, you'll be luck to find even 1, despite the fact that they'll carry other bottles from same distillery.  Same with single malt scotch. 

5 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

Many distilleries are limiting production an distribution of better/rarer products.  If you ever read reviews out of Whiskey magazine and then hit your local stores for any of the 8.5+ ratings, whether $$ or $$$$, you'll be luck to find even 1, despite the fact that they'll carry other bottles from same distillery.  Same with single malt scotch. 

Yeah, I'm sure the limited production drives up the price and cachet.

6 hours ago, Don Kehote said:

Might be from "Voyage 17"?  

Correct, it was Jeffersons Ocean Reserve and the bottle was labeled Voyage 17.

On 10/13/2021 at 9:10 PM, Prismism said:

Anyone who knows a thing or two about good bourbon (or whiskey in general), knows by now that Carnival does not have even one single respectable bourbon on board any of their ships. Someone here earlier mentioned Basil Haydens, but I've never seen a bottle of that on any ship or I would be drinking that exclusively all day. Alas, Buffalo Trace and Woodford Reserve is as good as it gets. Those are at least drinkable compared to other "whiskeys" like Jack Daniels and Crown.

So apparently you have not been on a ship with the Pig and Anchor brewhouse.  They carry Basil Hayden

and Blanton's along with another 6 or 8 in the Woodford quality range.

21 hours ago, ray98 said:

So apparently you have not been on a ship with the Pig and Anchor brewhouse.  They carry Basil Hayden

and Blanton's along with another 6 or 8 in the Woodford quality range.

You are correct. I have not been on a ship with a guys pig and anchor brewhouse. However, no disrespect, but those are at best middle shelf whiskeys. Understandable, considering Carnival has to draw the line somewhere with all the people who purchased cheers. The tequilas on board are also pretty lackluster in my opinion.

On my first cruise in 2010, I don't think Carnival even had Cheers as an option, and I remember they had a much wider selection on board for those who wanted to spend a lot of money on top shelf spirits. I sat next to a guy who ordered a shot of Louis XIII for like $75, and that was on the Ecstasy. Those were different times. 

59 minutes ago, Prismism said:

You are correct. I have not been on a ship with a guys pig and anchor brewhouse. However, no disrespect, but those are at best middle shelf whiskeys.

LOL....ok.  I guess I just have not met many people who would state Blanton's and Basil Hayden were 'middle shelf'.

It's all relative in the end. A bottle of basil haydens is only $32. Depending on how fancy the bar you're drinking at- what's considered top shelf is relative. Subjectively speaking, any bottle of liquor under $50 is not considered a top shelf liquor. That's just my opinion of course, and you're free to disagree. :] 

On 10/12/2021 at 1:10 PM, mondello said:

If you can even find it. Some of these are so hot right now our state has a lottery system for the chance to buy a bottle. Some can go for hundreds of dollars.

I actually won a bottle of Elmer T. Lee in the Ohio Lottery.

• Like 1

My choices are Eagle Rare, Michters, Weller.  Of course can’t find Eagle Rare or Michters so I don’t open unless I have a backup.  Do like 1792, Buffalo Trace, Elijah Craig, Angel’s Envy, Angel’s Envy Rye and Blantons when I want to splurge.