After booking a Guarantee cabin, when was the cabin assigned?

Hi,

I am curious to know how far in advance of your cruise were you notified of your cabin assignment when you booked a guarantee. 

Pre-covid, once for Royal, I was assigned a cabin the day after booking a balcony guarantee for a cruise about five months away. Another time pre-covid on Celebrity, I booked a suite guarantee about three months away and was assigned a cabin about a month before. I also wonder if because of the limited capacity on ships now if Royal is waiting until the last minute?? And/or are they adding more cabins in each category for the guarantee bookings?

Pre-covid, when ships get sold out, it was rather easy to assign a cabin earlier than before. Now we are in a much more fluid environment. The company is making decisions on capacity limits, COVID mitigation protocols, ect as conditions change with the pandemic. This causes booking prediction models to not be as easy to come up with as well as knowing exactly how many berths they are looking to fill. With that kind of uncertainty, the ability to assign a GTY cabin earlier becomes much more difficult. I would not expect a cabin assignment till no earlier than a month out, and that is probably being overly optimistic. 

37 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

To many people changing cabins as soon as they were assigned.  Now they wait until the last minute and few cabins are left to change to. 

That and the fact that they are probably holding the gty rooms until Royal UP is assigned.

6 hours ago, HicksRA said:

Royal is so unpredictable I don’t think anyone can give you a close answer. But I think they’re mostly waiting til the last minute now to assign gty cabins.  

Agree, can see longer waits now. Even Pre-CV had one assigned day of Sailing, another one 6 months out