Canada US land border to reopen

Josie201

32 minutes ago, nbsjcruiser said:

US will not accept mixed doses according to Bill Blair on CTV News. 

Based on all the news reports here in the US… in fact I’ve just finished watching a segment about it on Lester Holt not 3 minutes ago…. all signs indicate they will not only accept it but are recommending it for those with the non mRNA vaccines… as a booster. 

They also reported that the US will not require a negative covid test for entry. Let’s hope Canada follows. 

Edited by *Miss G*
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, nbsjcruiser said:

US will not accept mixed doses according to Bill Blair on CTV News. 

I just watched the entire interview with Minister Blair on CTV. Twice. At NO time did he say that the US had said no to mixed vaccines when the land border reopens. He said that discussions are ongoing. No formal statement on that has yet been issued by the US authorities responsible for such a decision.

• Like 5

Very disappointed with the Canadian regulations now that the US has opened the land border.  Most of us spend a few hours down there to shop and collect mail.  If we have to have a PCR to return home, this effectively keeps the border closed for day trippers.

57 minutes ago, lostinparadise999 said:

US to open the borders to Canadians on Nov 8. CDC accepted only American passports or green card holders in US prior to this announcement.  ...too late, so sad as Holland cancelled our TA cruise that would dock in Ft Lauderdale in mid Nov. We were to be on a flight this morning to Venice. 

That's not entirely true. Canadians have been able to fly into the US unrestricted since the beginning of the pandemic.

26 minutes ago, TeaBag said:

Very disappointed with the Canadian regulations now that the US has opened the land border.  Most of us spend a few hours down there to shop and collect mail.  If we have to have a PCR to return home, this effectively keeps the border closed for day trippers.

I suspect that this will change in the not too distant future. Maybe not by November 8th, but the pressure from both sides of the border is mounting, both at the grass roots and political levels. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TeaBag said:

For the time being, yes. Those of us in or near the Niagara Peninsula will have to wait a bit before we can do the Smokin’ Joe’s gas run and Honey’s chicken wing pickup in NFNY.

It’s strategically wiser for the Canadian government to start out somewhat strict with a bunch of requirements, and then to roll the requirements back only if health data provides reason and encouragement  to do so. If the Powers That Be started out being permissive and then needed to roll things back, they’d anger the electorate. 

It’s a slow dance forward.

Edited by lots-of-km2
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, lots-of-km2 said:

For the time being, yes. Those of us in or near the Niagara Peninsula will have to wait a bit before we can do the Smokin’ Joe’s gas run and Honey’s chicken wing pickup in NFNY.

It’s strategically wiser for the Canadian government to start out somewhat strict with a bunch of requirement, and then to roll the requirements back only if health data provides reason and encouragement  to do so. If the Powers That Be started out being permissive and then needed to roll things back, they’d anger the electorate. 

It’s a slow dance forward.

As has been mentioned previously, perhaps this is one card that Canada is holding back while waiting to see whether or not there is a positive US decision on AZ-mRNA mixes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TeaBag said:

I suppose if you really wanted to go you could do the PCR test prior to leaving Canada. 

Does anyone happen to know whether the walk-in passport locations are open?

45 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

I suppose if you really wanted to go you could do the PCR test prior to leaving Canada. 

Does anyone happen to know whether the walk-in passport locations are open?

Our closest Service Canada (Kitchener) is open but they do not want you to "walk in".   They ask that you apply for passports by mail or if you want to apply in person, they ask you to schedule an appointment by filling out the request form on the  

eservices canada portal   (Hope the link works ok)

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, hancogran said:

Our closest Service Canada (Kitchener) is open but they do not want you to "walk in".   They ask that you apply for passports by mail or if you want to apply in person, they ask you to schedule an appointment by filling out the request form on the  

eservices canada portal   (Hope the link works ok)

Thank you!  I did see the appointment request but I don’t trust anything at the moment. 😂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TeaBag said:

Since the north bound border has been opened for a while and PCR test is still required, I doubt the policy will change anytime soon. An exception for day trippers strikes me as sensible.