Queen Victoria

jimbo1683

I am looking at a 4 night mini cruise this time next year. What are the dining arrangements in the Britannia MDR - can I request a table for 2? How long would I wait for a table?

I am tempted by Britannia Club but I'm not sure if it's worth it because thinking about it if we went to Verandah one night and Kings Court on one night then we would only dine in the MDR for 2 nights and maybe a lunch and breakfast.

You can request a table for 2 when booking but it is not guaranteed it will only be confirmed once you are onboard. The table you are assigned whether 1st or 2nd sitting is your table  for dinner for the duration of the cruise. If a table for 2 is not assigned on day of embarkation you can usually go down to the restaurant and speak to Restaurant Manager to see if it is possible to get a table for 2.

Edited by majortom10

For breakfast and lunch in Britannia you speak to the headwaiter and ask for a table for 2 on the way in and you will be assigned a table number. A waiter will then show you to your table. There may be a short wait if you arrive between 8.30 and 9am. But the queue will move pretty quickly. 

At present they are taking cabin numbers for track and trace.

• Like 1

We booked tables for breakfast on the App - A table for two if (unusually) Jane was getting up in time, if not I had a table for one and dined alone, we never boooked a table for lunch as we never knew when we'd be there.

IMG_1241.thumb.JPEG.e9e63e71ee33a9ce6c0327ba8006f077.JPEG

On 10/15/2021 at 1:28 PM, jimbo1683 said:

I am looking at a 4 night mini cruise this time next year. What are the dining arrangements in the Britannia MDR - can I request a table for 2? How long would I wait for a table?

I am tempted by Britannia Club but I'm not sure if it's worth it because thinking about it if we went to Verandah one night and Kings Court on one night then we would only dine in the MDR for 2 nights and maybe a lunch and breakfast.

jimbo,

I would suggest Britannia Club, especially on the QV where the Club dining room is beautiful. You could eat all 4 of your evening meals there and still enjoy a nice lunch in the Verandah (and save a few bucks). The Kings Court evening speciality dining, while very nice, doesn't compare to the  Club or Verandah dining in my opinion. There are many subtle nuances to Britannia Club besides just the dining experience. 

Jack

On our August cruise we block booked a table for 4 in the MDR on the app for the whole cruise, late sitting, never had to wait for a table other than the usual line to enter the MDR, and never saw anyone waiting to be seated either.  

No - but as we were travelling as a 4 it didn't matter - If it had just been Jane and myself and we wanted to share then it would have been different dinner partners and waiting staff every evening which would have spoiled the experience for me. As it was the different waiters every night meant the service was less than ideal throughout the cruise, generally it was good rtather than the excellent service we have had previously.

20 minutes ago, rakkor said:

No - but as we were travelling as a 4 it didn't matter - If it had just been Jane and myself and we wanted to share then it would have been different dinner partners and waiting staff every evening which would have spoiled the experience for me. As it was the different waiters every night meant the service was less than ideal throughout the cruise, generally it was good rtather than the excellent service we have had previously.

Yes, having the same waiters (for all meals in the Grills) who have rapidly learnt our preferences has always been a definite plus. Especially as they are usually so very nice.

• Like 1

We're in PG next month and QG in Feb, so vey much looking forward to that and building a rapport with our waiters, but I will miss the big table for 10 we usually request in Britannia as we have always had excellent dinner companions. Unfortunately this isn't possible with the new anytime dining on the second sitting and will probably stop us cruising Cunard again if it carries on.

6 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Yes, having the same waiters (for all meals in the Grills) who have rapidly learnt our preferences has always been a definite plus. Especially as they are usually so very nice.

Im not sure I understand that, unless you're eating the same food and drinking the same wine at each meal what preferences are they learning that make the experience so good?

8 hours ago, jimbo1683 said:

Im not sure I understand that, unless you're eating the same food and drinking the same wine at each meal what preferences are they learning that make the experience so good?

I completely understand what exlondoner means. When the wait staff know you and any preferences, they often anticipate your requests. I like cold toast and so the toast is already on the servery  waiting for me at breakfast time. I don’t drink iced water so the room temp water is waiting. Rather simple examples I know and I could give more, but just a flavour to show  it’s the little things which mean a lot.

Other things include, any undrunk wine from the night before is waiting on the table, rather than having to explain to the somellier every night that you have wine, or a package, which means the wine often doesn't arrive until well into the dinner. Jane never has coffee, so isn't offered it, but does like cheese and a chutney with that, meaning she didn't have to explain every night what chutney was.  As @Victoria2says it's the little thing that make the experience so good.

10 hours ago, jimbo1683 said:

10 hours ago, jimbo1683 said:

My spouse has a complicated cereal order for breakfast every day. It's good not to have to keep explaining it. They know I like peppermint tea after dinner. They know my spouse doesn't like pepper on his pasta, but likes lots of Parmesan. They know I drink lots of water,  so busily keep my glass refilled. The wine waiter has put our left over wine from the last meal ready on our table before we arrive. Need I go on?

One thing I also forgot was tipping. We invariably hand out a small tip to the waiting staff at the end of the cruise if service is excellent (and it invariably is). This didn't happen on our cruise in August as we'd had different waiters every night and although the service was good, it was a long way from excellent. This can only have an effect on the levels of service no matter how professional the staff are, knowig that their tips will be reduced.

Edited by rakkor

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

My spouse has a complicated cereal order for breakfast every day. It's good not to have to keep explaining it. They know I like peppermint tea after dinner. They know my spouse doesn't like pepper on his pasta, but likes lots of Parmesan. They know I drink lots of water,  so busily keep my glass refilled. The wine waiter has put our left over wine from the last meal ready on our table before we arrive. Need I go on?

It has just struck me that the penultimate sentence could be interpreted as suggesting we drink wine with our breakfast. I'm happy to announce that this is not the case. 😀

• Haha 2

The wine waiter has put our left over wine from the last meal ready on our table before we arrive

It's Cunard's policy.

They state that "alcohol should be drunk in moderation at all times"

I must admit, I do struggle a bit at breakfast.

27 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

The wine waiter has put our left over wine from the last meal ready on our table before we arrive

It's Cunard's policy.

They state that "alcohol should be drunk in moderation at all times"

I must admit, I do struggle a bit at breakfast.

I'd never noticed that. Goodness me, I too am failing.