LIVE from the MAIDEN VOYAGE OF THE ROTTERDAM VII - TRANSATLANTIC

sansterre

Lunch at the Pinnacle was pleasant.  Seth did not stay to eat, but stayed until our food arrived and we had great discussion about all kinds of things.  He will be on for the next Rotterdam cruise, as will we so we spent a few minutes talking about that.  But mainly we all talked about our future cruises and also what we liked and didn't like about Holland America Line and various ships and itineraries.

I had the hamburger, mainly so I could have the French Fries which are fabulous.  The best was the brownie for desert, served with carmel corn and chocolate sauce.  I took a picture but it is still on my phone.....later!

Mariner Reception at Billboard on Board from 4:00 - 5:00 with spillover across the walkway at Rock and Roll. Seth said a few words and referred to the group as 3, 4, and 5 star mariners.  Champagne, red wine, white wine, and soft drinks were served; mixed nuts at each table for munching.

Three days left to enjoy this cruise.  Somehow we stay busy.......too busy to post the many photos I continue to take.  Today I'm up early so will post photos now while the internet is good.  Actually I have been pleased with the internet service.  Perhaps because the ship is only 47% full, but it has been quite good.  I believe my posting problems last week were more with the Cruise Critic site.

• Like 6

Someone asked about the Computer Workshop which are now reverting to libraries on most, if not all HAL ships,   Here is the library on board the Rotterdam VII, Deck 2, Starboard, forward and near the Marin Theatre.

library.jpg

Edited by sansterre
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 3

It doesn't have the charm of the old HAL libraries but it is full of books to read and also a nice quiet place to sit and read or write etc.  There are comfortable chairs near the window (not pictured) beyond the shelves of brand new books.

library 2.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Someone asked about the odd shaped cabins on board the Rotterdam VII.  I asked Seth about them at lunch; he said they are spacious and some have much larger verandas,  They will probably be very popular.

But here are some photos of our VC cabin on Deck 5.  I do like the carpet!

Cabin 1.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

We received our tiles last night.  Will take a photo of one.   It has a photo of the new, large ship and mentions the 3 newest ships by name, including the Rotterdam.

Off now to get a few pictures of the pumpkin carving contest on Lido Deck.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, sansterre said:

Someone told me there are crepes in the Lido..........for breakfast!  I'll try to check it out, but sadly running out of days🥲

No worries at all. You're doing much in order to answer everyone. If someone told you about it, then I'm sure it's true. Enjoy your cruise! 

• Like 1

Thanks Texas Trini.  We have breakfast in the MDR so I don't get to the Lido often.  DH also said he saw Crepes being made there so maybe it is lunchtime crepes.  If so, I would like to have a chicken and asparagus crepe - YUM!

It is good that we are back on for the 5 day Nov. 5th cruise as these two weeks have gone by quickly. Even thought we gain an hour every night, the time has flown by.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, sansterre said:

Someone told me there are crepes in the Lido..........for breakfast!  I'll try to check it out, but sadly running out of days🥲

I hope there are crepes in the Lido…my favorite.  I haven’t been on the Rotterdam yet (next April), but on my other cruises they were only on one side of the Lido.

• Like 2

and after dinner, a special Halloween trivia with Nick aka Tony who has a great sense of humor. We enjoy his trivia sessions.

And yes, those are mice all over his jacket!

Nick on Halloween.jpg

Edited by sansterre
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

17 hours ago, sansterre said:

and I like the corner cabinet,....creates a good place for the ice bucket, glassware above, shelf and storage below.

Cabin 2 Corner Cab..jpg

But, the space between the cabinet and the corner of the bed is very tight.  At least, it was on the other ships on which I have sailed that had that arrangement.  

17 hours ago, sansterre said:

Here is the library on board the Rotterdam VII, Deck 2, Starboard, forward

Pleased to see this, but, are the books there those that cruisers would want to read for recreational reading?  Is there an area for guests to leave books that they have read and don't want to carry home?  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CJcruzer said:

can you post how many “gala” nights there were in total?  and what dates?

Thanks

Carol

We had 3 Gala nights on our 14 day cruise.  Tomorrow will be our last one.  I don't recall the other dates as I never saw them posted anywhere.  The timing of Gala nights vary depending on the cruise and port schedule. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

Yes, surprisingly so, especially considering most of the other prices. Which makes me wonder if it's actually a decent sized lobster, although I guess even a one pounder might be reasonable.

I guess the lobster roll for $15 at lunch might also not be terribly expensive compared to land prices.

We just came back from 8 days in Halifax, Nova Scotia and the price for lobster rolls was anywhere from $17 to $25.   We thought the price would be lower but it was not.   We instead had lots of seafood chowder and shrimp and scallops etc.   Not bargain prices but very tasty.   We paid about $18 for seafood chowder most places.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, sansterre said:

and the shower

Seems like the toilet still has no legroom. When we were on Kdam, one particularly large guy left a very negative review here on CC about that. You end up needing to sit on the toilet seat on an angle if you have long legs.

• Like 2

On 10/30/2021 at 6:36 PM, Florida_gal_50 said:

It’s still not “free”.  I don’t want people to think it is.  If I’m going to pay any extra  it will be in a specialty restaurant.  I do dress up for gala nights, although not as much as I used to. Pulling apart a lobster isn’t my idea of fun.  I can’t eat without spilling at the best of times.  I realize others may enjoy it.

But you were never getting a whole lobster on the cruise ship, unless you visited Maine (and I'm not sure that HAL does that I know that Royal and Celebrity did). I'm not suggesting paying for the filet and lobster tail.

And presumably the lobster is served cut in half,  since it is listed on the menu as broiled. So somewhat easier to eat than a whole lobster served in one piece. Of course, there are always the claws, knuckles, etc, unless they are pre-cracked.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, MisterBill99 said:

But you were never getting a whole lobster on the cruise ship, unless you visited Maine (and I'm not sure that HAL does that I know that Royal and Celebrity did). I'm not suggesting paying for the filet and lobster tail.

And presumably the lobster is served cut in half,  since it is listed on the menu as broiled. So somewhat easier to eat than a whole lobster served in one piece. Of course, there are always the claws, knuckles, etc, unless they are pre-cracked.

I don’t feel a whole lobster is better than a lobster tail.

• Like 1