LIVE from the MAIDEN VOYAGE OF THE ROTTERDAM VII - TRANSATLANTIC

sansterre

16 hours ago, RynoWally said:

I was not aware of this, but found it interesting.it was available on the 24 hour in room dining menu on my navigator app, looks like you can purchase a 1 day beverage package. Perfect for a guy like me that maybe wants to tie one on one day and relax for the next 6 days.Screenshot_20211029-143451_Drive.thumb.jpg.968947e7c91d4646a58bcad7554331c7.jpg

This says $9 and under, however, the web site says $11. Which is correct?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, tjcox9 said:

This says $9 and under, however, the web site says $11. Which is correct?

I believe the new amount is $11 and under.  The Navigator app also says the Pinnacle Grill is $39 and on the next screen (touching "Reserve Now") it shows $46; on the website it sells for $46.  Apparently HAL hasn't caught all the places they list prices.

Prices generally don't go down....

Edited by 0bnxshs
  • Like 2

Headed to the Pinnacle for lunch.  Seth had a HAL trivia the day we missed Azores and our team won.  The prize is lunch at the Pinnacle.

But first I want to post some of the names of entertainers on board.  We have enjoyed both of these on previous HAL cruises:

Pianist (with the hair) - Julian Gargiulo

Saxophonist - Akos Laki

Working on finding names of other on board entertainers.

Edited by sansterre
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, sansterre said:

Where are we?

Yesterday we took a deviation to the SW to avoid a storm system to the NW of us.  Then last night we took another turn and have been going nearly true West since then. Looking at the map it looks like we will pass South of Bermuda late tomorrow.  

Since last night we have been going West (267.19 degrees) at 17 knots (sometimes faster).  Seas are light with a few white caps.  Sky is partly cloudy.  Wind from the NW at 20 mph.  Temperature is 77 degrees at 9:15 a.m.

The Rotterdam VII ride is comfortable.  (Good for sleeping.)

How is the general atmosphere on board, is it really festive like an inaugural should be?

• Like 1

On 10/28/2021 at 6:34 PM, sansterre said:

Something new to us......two of these were in our room when we arrived last week - a free drink.  Nearly everyone on the ship has sailed Holland America previously so it may have gone to most everyone, not just five star passengers.

It seems that most have the drink package on this cruise;  we do not.  So we look forward to a nice Rum Punch when we hit warmer waters.  

(Sorry the photo is sideways.)

Mariner gift.jpg

We are 4 star and received these also and have never seen them before. We were told in the BBKing that it’s good for a champagne cocktail or a soft drink:

We are thoroughly enjoying the cruise and the beautiful ship but very disappointed with no lobster or jumbo shrimp on gala nights without a surcharge. Those were always highly anticipated.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sansterre said:

Headed to the Pinnacle for lunch.  Seth had a HAL trivia the day we missed Azores and our team won.  The prize is lunch at the Pinnacle.

But first I want to post some of the names of entertainers on board.  We have enjoyed both of these on previous HAL cruises:

Pianist (with the hair) - Julian Gargiulo

Saxophonist - Akos Laki

Working on finding names of other on board entertainers.

The lead singer of BB King is Frankie Mincey

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sherifa said:

We are 4 star and received these also and have never seen them before. We were told in the BBKing that it’s good for a champagne cocktail or a soft drink:

We are thoroughly enjoying the cruise and the beautiful ship but very disappointed with no lobster or jumbo shrimp on gala nights without a surcharge. Those were always highly anticipated.

Usually the lobster is served on the last gala night

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, westcoastsue said:

Can anybody currently on the ship let me know the benefits of booking another cruise while on board?
I’ve seen it posted somewhere but was unable to locate.

Thanks.

You get a reduced deposit and on-board credit. It has nothing to do with this particular ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Not lately.  It’s been reported on a Panama Canal cruise there was no lobster upcharge but on the 7 days you’ll be paying $30 for steak and lobster.  It is down from $35 though 🙄.

You can get a whole lobster for $20 on the MDR menu. I wouldn't pay it personally, but for a whole lobster, it's not a terrible price if it's a decent size lobster and not a tiny Caribbean lobster. 

22 minutes ago, MisterBill99 said:

You can get a whole lobster for $20 on the MDR menu. I wouldn't pay it personally, but for a whole lobster, it's not a terrible price if it's a decent size lobster and not a tiny Caribbean lobster. 

And I don't think that this takes the place of the tails served on the last Gala night.

45 minutes ago, MisterBill99 said:

It’s still not “free”.  I don’t want people to think it is.  If I’m going to pay any extra  it will be in a specialty restaurant.  I do dress up for gala nights, although not as much as I used to. Pulling apart a lobster isn’t my idea of fun.  I can’t eat without spilling at the best of times.  I realize others may enjoy it.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Pulling apart a lobster isn’t my idea of fun.  I can’t eat without spilling at the best of times.

Agree.  Eating a whole lobster is "work"!  

I can't help myself by remembering this HAL "slogan":  Signature of Excellence.  Not providing Lobster on every Gala/Formal Night, does not reflect a "Signature of Excellence".  Substituting "Jumbo Shrimp" is not the same.  I can buy a package of Sea Pak Jumbo Shrimp at Kroger's.  On occasion, I have had HAL's "Jumbo Shrimp" that were tough and tasteless.  Yet to experience a Sea Pak's Jumbo Shrimp such as that.    

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 0bnxshs said:

I believe the new amount is $11 and under.  The Navigator app also says the Pinnacle Grill is $39 and on the next screen (touching "Reserve Now") it shows $46; on the website it sells for $46.  Apparently HAL hasn't caught all the places they list prices.

Prices generally don't go down....

Regarding the PG, it appears to me that the $46 price includes the 18% gratuity of $7.  That might explain the price difference…

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sansterre said:

Congrats on winning 🙂. Lunch in the PG is a nice prize. 👍 

• Like 4

Having gone to college in Maine in the early 1960s where I could get a lobster dinner on Friday night for $3.00, I have been hooked on Maine lobster (or cold water, New England). Others do hold a candle to them. I am addicted to a 1.75-pound lobster (whole, not the tail alone). I agree with the terrible inconvenience of having to tear it apart so always ask for it split and cleaned out. I only want the meat part. With lots of melted butter. Lots! $20.00 upcharge in MDR would be a bargain. Here in the west, Red Lobster sells them for $35 or more.

I cannot thank sansterre enough for creating this wonderful forum. Whetting our appetites, so to speak.

Jim

Edited by jeh10641
change the font and highlight a name.
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, jeh10641 said:

Having gone to college in Maine in the early 1960s where I could get a lobster dinner on Friday night for $3.00, I have been hooked on Maine lobster (or cold water, New England). Others do hold a candle to them. I am addicted to a 1.75-pound lobster (whole, not the tail alone). I agree with the terrible inconvenience of having to tear it apart so always ask for it split and cleaned out. I only want the meat part. With lots of melted butter. Lots! $20.00 upcharge in MDR would be a bargain. Here in the west, Red Lobster sells them for $35 or more.

I cannot thank sansterre enough for creating this wonderful forum. Whetting our appetites, so to speak.

Jim

Last week at my suburban New Jersey supermarket live "Maine" lobster was selling for $19.95 lb.  An unusually high price.  Yes they'll steam it for you, but then you'll still have to deal with messy clean-up, etc. when you get it home.  Some of the local restaurants are offering a 4 oz. lobster roll for $22 which IMO is ridiculous.  HAL's $20 upcharge seems very reasonable to me.

2 hours ago, westcoastsue said:

Thank you.

I understand that. I was wondering what the OBCs were for the different cabin categories and number of days.

Maybe you should look for a thread in the board that already discusses it, or start a new one to ask. The question isn't relevant to this thread.

2 hours ago, baggal said:

HAL's $20 upcharge seems very reasonable to me.

Yes, surprisingly so, especially considering most of the other prices. Which makes me wonder if it's actually a decent sized lobster, although I guess even a one pounder might be reasonable.

I guess the lobster roll for $15 at lunch might also not be terribly expensive compared to land prices.

2 hours ago, TexasTrini said:

Thank you for posting this. It's very helpful. 

One more question, do they have the crepe station in the Lido Buffet?

Someone told me there are crepes in the Lido..........for breakfast!  I'll try to check it out, but sadly running out of days🥲

• Like 1