LIVE from the MAIDEN VOYAGE OF THE ROTTERDAM VII - TRANSATLANTIC

sansterre

7 hours ago, nimiq said:

Speaking of drink package have you seen if they offer a rebate if you don’t have one prior to cruising ? 

thanks 

sea ya 

Eric

Do you mean can you purchase a drink package while on board?  I will ask and if possible what the price is.  But seems to me that would need to be done prior to boarding.

• Like 4

I have taken at least 10 photos of sculpture and framed art on board.  This morning I found this in my email which explains much of the art on board.  I will eventually post my art photos, but many of them appear, with wonderful explanation, here in this:

https://www.captainalbert.com/2021-oct-28-latest-press-release-art-on-board-the-ms-rotterdam-vii/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

28 minutes ago, sansterre said:

Do you mean can you purchase a drink package while on board?  I will ask and if possible what the price is.  But seems to me that would need to be done prior to boarding.

Usually it has to be purchased on board by the end of the 1st full day of the cruise, although there should be no reason they can't pro-rate the cost during the cruise.  I've only seen a discount when purchased online pre-cruise.

4 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

HAL had introduced One Step dance shows in the main showroom the year before Covid began. (Sounds like the dance company Sansterre refers to.) Perhaps it’s not everyone’s style of show (you can’t please everybody no matter what you offer), but I loved their performance of “Humanity” onboard Nieuw Statendam which really demonstrated the showroom’s capabilities. The dancers were terrific. 

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/onboard-activities/cruise-entertainment/step-one-dance-company.html

Yes, I know about Step One, but it's not a normal production show with singers. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, zgscl said:

I will never understand why they keep adding more features like this to the theater when it will only be used as another background for the Step One Dance Company to paint or pretend is an elevator 😞. At least the whale movie can show more whales. 

Well, they designed the new theater before they killed the production shows and HAL singers. But they clearly don't have room for live music and a normal production show, but they've been using canned music in the theater for a while now (except the nature movie).

• Like 2

23 hours ago, NonnaGa said:

On the Pinnacle Class I have seen tea held in the MDR but also a couple times in the Queen's Lounge. It may vary OR it may have changed at some point

When we were on Koningsdam in 2018, tea was served in the Queen's Lounge. It was quite dark and the tea sandwiches, scones, etc., were served all at once on a tiered tray. The service was very perfunctory as well. In 2019, on the Nieuw Statendam, tea was served in three courses in the sunny and spacious main dining room and it was a much much better experience. Much better food and service in the MDR.

I wonder if it's still the same for these two ships, and what the Rotterdam will do. Must be up to the chef? And/or hotel director?

• Like 1

I was not aware of this, but found it interesting.it was available on the 24 hour in room dining menu on my navigator app, looks like you can purchase a 1 day beverage package. Perfect for a guy like me that maybe wants to tie one on one day and relax for the next 6 days.Screenshot_20211029-143451_Drive.thumb.jpg.968947e7c91d4646a58bcad7554331c7.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, sansterre said:

I have taken at least 10 photos of sculpture and framed art on board.  This morning I found this in my email which explains much of the art on board.  I will eventually post my art photos, but many of them appear, with wonderful explanation, here in this:

https://www.captainalbert.com/2021-oct-28-latest-press-release-art-on-board-the-ms-rotterdam-vii/

I am thrilled that some of the art from ms Rotterdam VI is now on ms Rotterdam VII.  It sounds like this includes the Stephen Card paintings.  I wonder if the Terra Cotta Warriors were saved?

Thank you for sharing so much with us.

Barbara

Edited by bcummin
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, RynoWally said:

I was not aware of this, but found it interesting.it was available on the 24 hour in room dining menu on my navigator app, looks like you can purchase a 1 day beverage package. Perfect for a guy like me that maybe wants to tie one on one day and relax for the next 6 days.Screenshot_20211029-143451_Drive.thumb.jpg.968947e7c91d4646a58bcad7554331c7.jpg

I think you might be missing something in your screenshot.  It says it is for “the duration of the cruise”. Therefore if on a 7 day cruise, you will be charged 7 x $54.95.  You can’t just buy a one day package. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I have totally enjoyed reading all of your posts and reliving cruising somewhat through them.  I cannot wait to be back on the water!

Again all, thank you for sharing, keep those tidbits coming, enjoying getting to know HAL’s newest ship.

P.S.  Is anyone in a V category cabin.  The one with the odd shaped cabin. Appreciate a picture if possible.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Alberta Quilter said:

I think you might be missing something in your screenshot.  It says it is for “the duration of the cruise”. Therefore if on a 7 day cruise, you will be charged 7 x $54.95.  You can’t just buy a one day package. 

I really didn't miss anything, it says right at the top with your "  the duration of the cruise" but it says it is "available for the the duration of the cruise" Which I take to mean That you will be able to take advantage of it at anytime during. it says, "pay one price per day"  the way it reads to me doesn't mean that you have to have it everyday for the rest of the cruise? I realize that this is something that has not been offered on any of the HAL Cruises I have been on, but who knows "Things Change" I have never seen this wording on the in room dining service menu. Who knows maybe I'm wrong. I guess I will find out in December unless anyone onboard can verify.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Brodysmum said:

Can you tell me what an obstructed view on a veranda room. How much would be obstructed?

You'll have part of a lifeboat and maybe the piece of metal that holds it blocking some of your view. You'll be able to see some water. The obstruction depends on the cabin, some are worse than others.  If you are going to book an obstructed view veranda, I strongly suggest that you book a guarantee cabin and hope that they upgrade you to something better, unless you're really concerned about your location.

• Thanks 1

Great discussion here and my questions/concerns too!

Regarding the Lido chairs.  They hardly move!  Therefore I avoid the Lido, but I will take a photo of them next time I am up that way.  Yes, they are extremely heavy and the metal on the legs do not glide at all.  Cushions are pea green but comfortable once in the chair.  It's just that one needs to be very strong to get up to the table.  And when I am at the table, I am stuck.

" I have never seen this wording on the in room dining service menu. Who knows maybe I'm wrong. I guess I will find out in December unless anyone onboard can verify."  I will verify what in room dining says and also with the Billboard on Board bar this afternoon".

Those odd shaped rooms have intrigued us too.  We are in a VC room on Deck 5.  It seems small to us, but I do like the refrigerator and a corner cabinet.  But the entire room and veranda would be much better if another foot wider.  We have not used the veranda yet but know it will be tight for two people,. ( I will post photos.). But DH and I have decided that on these bigger boats, for long voyages, we would be happier in a larger cabin, perhaps one of those odd shaped ones.  We are on the next 5- day cruise so perhaps when we disembark we can get a glimpse inside.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Cruise2Holiday said:

I read that HAL offered an after dinner cordial in a souvenir glass . Is this still available?  Thank you!

A souvenir glass with Rotterdam VII - Wow, that might be the only memorabilia on the ship!    I'll definitely check that out.  No doubt, it has "Holland America" written on it as there are no T-shirts, nothing at all to purchase with Rotterdam VII, or inaugural voyage.

There are insulated Holland America coffee mugs. There is a 25% discount on future purchases of coffee when reusing your newly purchased coffee mug.  Available at Dutch Cafe and Explorations Central (Crow's Nest) bar.  I should take a picture and post......seems like they are $15.

Hopefully Rotterdam VII things will be loaded in Ft. Lauderdale.  As Seth explained and I think I wrote earlier, supply chain didn't help with the stock.  But our entire cruise was up in the air (go or go without passengers) until just a couple weeks prior to our departure.

• Like 4

Where are we?

Yesterday we took a deviation to the SW to avoid a storm system to the NW of us.  Then last night we took another turn and have been going nearly true West since then. Looking at the map it looks like we will pass South of Bermuda late tomorrow.  

Since last night we have been going West (267.19 degrees) at 17 knots (sometimes faster).  Seas are light with a few white caps.  Sky is partly cloudy.  Wind from the NW at 20 mph.  Temperature is 77 degrees at 9:15 a.m.

The Rotterdam VII ride is comfortable.  (Good for sleeping.)

Edited by sansterre
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2