QR codes for vaccine proof

zitsky

3 minutes ago, Froufie said:

Thanks - that is exactly what we have - but others are saying you need the 'original' dowloaded receipts (from months ago) which, as mentioned, are no longer available, having been replaced by this "QR document - I agree that this has all the required information - the scanning is irrelevant to anyone outside of Ontario, but the proof of being fully vaccinated is still evident!

Well do you not have your 'original' receipts?  I do. 

Just now, GeriatricNurse said:

Well do you not have your 'original' receipts?  I do. 

No we don't we never downloaded them as there was no need for them - just used to show our Ontario Ministry of Health document whenever needed, and now we have the QR code document with  more complete information.

Just now, Froufie said:

Thanks - that is exactly what we have - but others are saying you need the 'original' dowloaded receipts (from months ago) which, as mentioned, are no longer available, having been replaced by this "QR document - I agree that this has all the required information - the scanning is irrelevant to anyone outside of Ontario, but the proof of being fully vaccinated is still evident!

It's not "others" saying that, it's Celebrity that says that. Go back to post #10 to see the email sent out by Celebrity. The question that hasn't been answered yet is whether Celebrity is willing to accept the new travel documents or whether they will insist on seeing the original documents that we were all given at the time of vaccination. Personally, I believe that they will accept the recent iteration, but until I see something stating that they will, I plan on carrying my original documents to the port.

7 minutes ago, Froufie said:

No we don't we never downloaded them as there was no need for them - just used to show our Ontario Ministry of Health document whenever needed, and now we have the QR code document with  more complete information.

I'm having trouble understanding this. You've been on CC since January talking about cruise planning. How could you not be aware of the fact that cruise lines require proof of vaccination? The new Ministry of Health document has only replaced the original format in the past few weeks, so you had ample opportunity to download the originals. I'm also confused by your statement that you "just used to show our Ontario Ministry of Health document whenever needed". What document are you referring to if not your original vaccination receipt?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think there may be a misinterpretation of "original" here.  Based upon successful use of downloadable official State vaccination records by some in the U.S. who were vaccinated so early that they didn't get the CDC cards from their provider, I believe Celebrity is using "original" in the sense of not facsimile, photocopy, etc.

I don't need to do this, but was interested to look when I became aware of this service in Colorado.  My next tetanus shot isn't due for another 4 years 😄

Edited by canderson
Usual typod

3 hours ago, Froufie said:

Here in Canada (Ontario)  we don't have a 'card', just the QR code/document to show them!

And in British Columbia, Canada, we have both.  Each province is different but Trudeau announced last Thursday that there will be a Federal proof of vaccination system, I believe by way of a QR code.  We're planning on taking both.

Edited by Kathy53

Just now, canderson said:

I think there may be a misinterpretation of "original" here.  Based upon successful use of official State vaccination records by some in the U.S. who were vaccinated so early that they didn't get the CDC cards from their provider, I believe Celebrity is looking for using "original" in the sense of not facsimile, photocopy, etc.

I hope you are right, it would simplify things immeasurably. The lingering question in today's world is what's the practical difference for Celebrity between a facsimile or photocopy of an original document versus a print of a digital original document?

9 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I hope you are right, it would simplify things immeasurably. The lingering question in today's world is what's the practical difference for Celebrity between a facsimile or photocopy of an original document versus a print of a digital original document?

Ah, you're thinking print.  X is not. 

Bringing the site up on a phone can be used to verify the source.  The current FAQ is clear, but not complete.  "No, at this time, we are not accepting photos or photocopies of the original vaccination card.", which presumes that one exists.  If the card is lost or otherwise unavailable, they are more clear:  "Yes, if a guest can furnish proof from the government site or app, we will accept as proof of vaccination".

Whatever online method can be used to view (not print) the official government data is accepted.  Could be a pdf download, so be sure you have the ability to view it.

FAQ is clear, and found here:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/travel

So any of you with access to your vaccination records via a government health portal should be good to go.

1 hour ago, Froufie said:

Our QR code only has name, vaccination & dates of such.  Celebrity wants to know Lot # & where it was administered, which is on original.

3 hours ago, GeriatricNurse said:

Well, Celebrity had better discover the capability of scanning a QR Code, as that is what our Provincial Government has issued to us Ontarians for purposes of 'International Travel'!  And a sheet of paper with the QR Code on it is what I have!

"had better?" or what....?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Why do I get the feeling some people are yelling their replies!  I would join the conversation and add to it, but I’m not interested in be screamed at.  Just me.

WHAT MAKES YOU THINK PEOPLE ARE YELLING?

I hate bold font myself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, canderson said:

Ah, you're thinking print.  X is not. 

Bringing the site up on a phone can be used to verify the source.  The current FAQ is clear, but not complete.  "No, at this time, we are not accepting photos or photocopies of the original vaccination card.", which presumes that one exists.  If the card is lost or otherwise unavailable, they are more clear:  "Yes, if a guest can furnish proof from the government site or app, we will accept as proof of vaccination".

Whatever online method can be used to view (not print) the official government data is accepted.  Could be a pdf download, so be sure you have the ability to view it.

FAQ is clear, and found here:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/travel

So any of you with access to your vaccination records via a government health portal should be good to go.

Yes, I'm aware of the FAQ, but the problem in Ontario is that access to one's record on the provincial site can take hours at times and is not a reliable method for cruise check in. Nor has the government released an official app to view it. There are 3rd party apps that let you download the record to your iPhone Wallet, and I have an iOS Shortcut that pulls up the record pdf, but neither seems to meet the wording of the FAQ. Maybe I'm overly concerned for those who don't have their original docs, but I'd hate to see them turned away at check in. One of those (few) cases where I hope I'm wrong.

3 hours ago, GeriatricNurse said:

And I HAVE IT!

Kindly stop yelling.  Bold face all caps is yelling, and is rude and uncalled for.

Please go to the link provided in post 22 and read it all. Or click on this link:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-covid-19-proof-vaccination.html

A QR code by itself is insufficient. You need to download and save to your device/print, and provide when asked, the entire  certificate; not just the QR code.

And from what I've read on the Canadian govt website, this is now the official document to be used for both national and international travel, although previous provincial certificates/receipts are still acceptable for now. Fouremco, I wouldn't get too hung up on the use of the term "original" document- the intent was not to allow photos or photocopies. Downloads and prints from an official government website are acceptable, from everything I've read from Canadians traveling abroad.

Edited by mom says
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, If only said:

Our QR code only has name, vaccination & dates of such.  Celebrity wants to know Lot # & where it was administered, which is on original.

My QR document does show the lot numbers. (as per the example on post #22) ...I am in Ontario also?  Why does yours not have this information?  And I don't see where it says that Celebrity wants to know where it was administered? Is this a new rule?

Edited by Froufie

4 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I'm having trouble understanding this. You've been on CC since January talking about cruise planning. How could you not be aware of the fact that cruise lines require proof of vaccination? The new Ministry of Health document has only replaced the original format in the past few weeks, so you had ample opportunity to download the originals. I'm also confused by your statement that you "just used to show our Ontario Ministry of Health document whenever needed". What document are you referring to if not your original vaccination receipt?

My proof of vaccination was my Ontario Ministry of Health document that was sent to me after my 2nd vaccine....  I do have proof???   and now I have further proof with my QR code listing both dates/types of vaccines/lot numbers etc.  

4 hours ago, Fouremco said:

It's not "others" saying that, it's Celebrity that says that. Go back to post #10 to see the email sent out by Celebrity. The question that hasn't been answered yet is whether Celebrity is willing to accept the new travel documents or whether they will insist on seeing the original documents that we were all given at the time of vaccination. Personally, I believe that they will accept the recent iteration, but until I see something stating that they will, I plan on carrying my original documents to the port.

...yes and if you just got your vaccines today and then a couple of months later - then you would have your QR code document to bring with you - no ability to download any vaccination receipts from the Ontario website.....those are no longer available since the QR codes became active....

27 minutes ago, Froufie said:

My QR document does show the lot numbers. (as per the example on post #22) ...I am in Ontario also?  Why does yours not have this information?  And I don't see where it says that Celebrity wants to know where it was administered? Is this a new rule?

Our Ontario QR code does not look like the Yukon one.  We downloaded it on the first day so maybe they added in the lot # ‘s later.  We are cruising in Nov on Celebrity & they wanted the original proof of vaccine that shows everything, which we uploaded to them & it was accepted. I sincerely hope they will accept your QR code.

Edited by If only

2 minutes ago, If only said:

Our Ontario QR code does not look like the Yukon one.  We are cruising in Nov on Celebrity & they wanted the original proof of vaccine that shows everything, which we uploaded to them & it was accepted.

That is strange? I am in Ontario and my QR code document that I dowloaded looks exactly like the one posted in #22?  (except of course if has the Ontario provincial symbol on top....)  Not sure why if you are also in Ontario yours would look different??

3 minutes ago, Froufie said:

That is strange? I am in Ontario and my QR code document that I dowloaded looks exactly like the one posted in #22?  (except of course if has the Ontario provincial symbol on top....)  Not sure why if you are also in Ontario yours would look different??

We downloaded it the day’s it came out so maybe they have changed it since they no longer allow you to print the original.

Edited by If only

Just went back in to the Ontario site & they have added more information on the  QR code since it first came out.  Still does not give the lot #’s which I think Celebrity wants, when saved in your wallet.

Edited by If only

14 hours ago, Fly and Sail said:

I think people have to realize that just because they have a QR code these can't be scanned with a random camera. The California one for example requires a specific app, if you just scan it with your phone then it returns no result (Invalid QR code). How could Celebrity or any other company prepare for that?

The issue is more that some local authorities think it's ok to only issue a local solution that can't be universally verified. The European Covid Pass has both a QR code but also lists all relevant information in writing + details about the patient. At the same time the paper CDC card in many cases issued without a stamp or signature is a joke as well for international use.

Nova Scotia (Canada) has evolved the available 'proof of vaccination, much like other provinces in Canada and other countries.  At this moment, we have two QR code documents available to us (screen print below) with verbiage that one is NS only use, not sure the true difference.  Even with the QR code, both documents also identify the vaccine doses in writing so not QR only.  Everything is evolving so fast that the technology is trying to keep up so one has to keep that in mind.  Personally I am impressed with some of what they've been able to accomplish to date and they are still improving day by day. 

I would not consider travel anywhere outside my province, even within Canada, with a document having only a QR code.  We just had family visit from Alberta and the QR code on their document was not scanable here in Nova Scotia WITHIN Canada so another country is a wish and a prayer right now.                                

==============================

image.png.f09590ecde25a92fa7b52344886e3f68.png

===============================

Edited by poffles