Upgrade room?

landsear

My cruise leaves in about 3 weeks. There are tons of balconies left according to the website this morning. I called a few weeks ago to upgrade and they wanted a ridiculous amount. What are the chances that I can snag one closer to the departure due to how many are still left? Any other tips? Thanks!

• Like 1

Havent heard of much upgrading since the restart.  Prior to the pandemic they would upgrade lower tiers to balconies with the idea they can sell the cheaper room easier to max the capacity of the ship.  But sailing at reduced capacity still they likely dont need to do this. 

26 minutes ago, boomhower said:

Havent heard of much upgrading since the restart.  Prior to the pandemic they would upgrade lower tiers to balconies with the idea they can sell the cheaper room easier to max the capacity of the ship.  But sailing at reduced capacity still they likely dont need to do this. 

They would offer upsells not upgrades

• 2 weeks later...

Just  price out what they cost daily and see if prices drop. Its supply and demand. You know what you paid and what the price is. Subtract them and you know how much the upgrade costs. 

Lol or get moved. I got moved first leg of breeze to a better cabin as did a lot of others. I think they turned the wing where I was booked into a isolation wing, but staff wasnt telling. A lot of us got moved. I got moved to a ov with 2 bathrooms and a bathtub. 

Where I was booked had this sign. We didnt know we were moved until we showed our boarding pass which still said same cabin we booked. No prior warning, just moved at boarding time.

20211029_104839.jpg

• Like 1

Ask at guest services immediately after boarding what the cost would be. Haven’t tried this on Carnival since the restart but the prices were *very* reasonable on Celebrity and Princess when we did so. I board Carnival tomorrow, so will give it a whirl and report back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Just  price out what they cost daily and see if prices drop. Its supply and demand. You know what you paid and what the price is. Subtract them and you know how much the upgrade costs. 

Lol or get moved. I got moved first leg of breeze to a better cabin as did a lot of others. I think they turned the wing where I was booked into a isolation wing, but staff wasnt telling. A lot of us got moved. I got moved to a ov with 2 bathrooms and a bathtub. 

Where I was booked had this sign. We didnt know we were moved until we showed our boarding pass which still said same cabin we booked. No prior warning, just moved at boarding time.

20211029_104839.jpg

More likely for maintenance 

5 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

More likely for maintenance 

Oh I remember you. You wanted me to stop giving out tall cans of pringles on breeze I'd already bought. Both seemed to want them. Last room steward asked me if they were all for him and I said share if you want. I also left a good comment with his name as a good job. 

You seem really into correcting me. Who knows. I asked staff and not a single one knew they said. So we will never know why it was closed, but the upgrade was nice. Or it was closed for extra cleaning. We can guess forever without knowing. I asked 4 or 5 staff. 

I saw a guy giving out little packs of hot chips. Another towels that blew up if they were immersed in water. People give out all kinds of things I'm sure would upset you. Lots brought halloween candy they gave out. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Oh I remember you. You wanted me to stop giving out tall cans of pringles on breeze I'd already bought. Both seemed to want them. Last room steward asked me if they were all for him and I said share if you want. I also left a good comment with his name as a good job. 

You seem really into correcting me. Who knows. I asked staff and not a single one knew they said. So we will never know why it was closed, but the upgrade was nice. Or it was closed for extra cleaning. We can guess forever without knowing. I asked 4 or 5 staff. 

I saw a guy giving out little packs of hot chips. Another towels that blew up if they were immersed in water. People give out all kinds of things I'm sure would upset you. Lots brought halloween candy they gave out. 

Seriously?  Blocks of staterooms are closed off all the time for maintenance and guests are upgraded/moved.  

As a former service industry person, I could accept a used piece of gum from a customer like it was a 14 karat gold nugget.  

• Like 2

On 11/5/2021 at 8:16 PM, Elaine5715 said:

Seriously?  Blocks of staterooms are closed off all the time for maintenance and guests are upgraded/moved.  

As a former service industry person, I could accept a used piece of gum from a customer like it was a 14 karat gold nugget.  

If there is an issue with plumbing and the lines are connected, all rooms that are connected would need to be closed. I am not saying this is or is t what happened, but from working in the service industry, it has happened and is entirely possible.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FTLCruiseGal said:

If there is an issue with plumbing and the lines are connected, all rooms that are connected would need to be closed. I am not saying this is or is t what happened, but from working in the service industry, it has happened and is entirely possible.

Or fumigating a room due to an infestation, painting, HVAC repairs, the maintenance never stops..

• Like 1

I just got an offer to pay for an upgrade. I sail Sunday on Legend. I had an inside and when I went into my cruise planner on Carnival yesterday there was an offer to pay $210 to upgrade to an extended balcony. I purchased the upgrade. Now I need to print new boarding passes and luggage tags. 😁

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Ilovesailaway said:

I just got an offer to pay for an upgrade. I sail Sunday on Legend. I had an inside and when I went into my cruise planner on Carnival yesterday there was an offer to pay $210 to upgrade to an extended balcony. I purchased the upgrade. Now I need to print new boarding passes and luggage tags. 😁

our offer was $360 to upgrade from a 4J to a balcony... not much of a "great deal" 

• Like 1

On 11/10/2021 at 10:28 PM, new_cruiser_75 said:

our offer was $360 to upgrade from a 4J to a balcony... not much of a "great deal" 

Wonderful!  I had to call C about my C stock and onboard credit.  C isn’t giving onboard credit if you got a “deal” on the reservation!!  Ugh!  I have 300+ shares!!  

Anyway, I don’t know if the lady on the phone felt badly but she upgraded my 6th floor interior (tiny!  King bed but nothing else) to an exterior room with unblocked windo with a King and a couch!  So we’re happy that we now have a good bit more room!

BTW.....can our luggage fit under the bed?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BamaMomRollTide said:

Wonderful!  I had to call C about my C stock and onboard credit.  C isn’t giving onboard credit if you got a “deal” on the reservation!!  Ugh!  I have 300+ shares!!  

Anyway, I don’t know if the lady on the phone felt badly but she upgraded my 6th floor interior (tiny!  King bed but nothing else) to an exterior room with unblocked windo with a King and a couch!  So we’re happy that we now have a good bit more room!

BTW.....can our luggage fit under the bed?

Congrats on the upgrade! And yes, your luggage will fit under the bed. That's where we always put all our luggage. No problem.

On 11/10/2021 at 9:58 AM, Ilovesailaway said:

I’ve heard about upgrades showing up in the planner and I check mine every day. Headed into my second cruise and have a third for December but I have yet to see an upgrade offer 😞

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, txgal08 said:

I’ve heard about upgrades showing up in the planner and I check mine every day. Headed into my second cruise and have a third for December but I have yet to see an upgrade offer 😞

I was changed at the port at check in. My boarding pass still showed the cabin we booked. She said oh your cabin has been changed. I got a little slip of paper with the new cabin number. No one could tell me what kind of cabin I'd been changed to. Luckily it was a nicer cabin so no complaints. This was oct 25 on breeze. 

Lol checking does no good sometimes. Even my new cabin steward didnt know who I was. Didnt have me listed.

51 minutes ago, txgal08 said:

At least pre-COVID, upgrades typically came via a phone call or email from Carnival. I have been on 8 or so Carnival cruises and have only gotten one upgrade offer. 

37 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I was changed at the port at check in.

Wow I am not sure I would love that at first... I am the type to obsess over my cabin selection. I research as much as I can to increase my chances of having a great cruise....

I'm glad it worked out and you ended up with a better cabin. That's a nice surprise. Problem is, I don't like surprises when I am traveling. lol

• Like 2