Be Jealous:: Free Upgrade for Me

zekekelso

Got  an email from MSC that my booking had been changed. Reason? Upgrade! Woo Hoo. 

I look at deck plans (Grandiosa) to see where my new cabin is located. Instead of a tiny interior cabin buried in a maze on deck 9, in now in a tiny interior cabin buried in a maze on deck 11. Um thanks?

No complaints - I get what I paid for. The cruise was cheap and  knew what I was booking. I just find it funny to call this an upgrade (I assume I’ve gone from a Bella cabin to Fantastico, though I don’t get any of the Fantastico benefits, just the “better“ cabin.) 

Happy cruising everyone

• Haha 6

Our reserved balcony cabin was changed to guarantee and then we were “upgraded” to deck 12 balcony cabin.  We were notified Saturday for our Nov 7 sailing.  They tried to put us in a deck 13 cabin under the pool deck but our TA went to bat for us to get it changed to deck 12.  Our argument was that we had reserved a specific cabin that they then later changed to guarantee.  A cabin under the pool deck was unacceptable.  We’ve been there and no thanks.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

What is your cruise date? Just wondering what timeframe before cruise they are assigning cabins.  My deck 9 was changed to Guarantee due to COVID requirements.  Can't wait to see if I get an "upgrade".

Email sent Oct 26. Sail date Dec 4

• Like 1

I think that’s becoming the new normal, at least for now. Lots of people getting their cabins “upgraded” .

When I booked the Meraviglia for September, I booked a Bella balcony on deck 9 but we got moved to a Fantastica balcony on deck 12 a few days before departure. The reason? Since we were cruising at limited capacity, they were moving people around to keep occupied cabins together due to staffing.

I would’ve been happy with the upgrade but we got moved from starboard to port side (I specifically wanted to be on the starboard side), and our original cabin had a larger, angled balcony, but our new one had a smaller, standard sized balcony.

I did ask at guest services if we could be moved back to my original cabin. While they couldn’t do that, they at least moved us back to the starboard side. 

1 hour ago, Tapi said:

I think that’s becoming the new normal, at least for now. Lots of people getting their cabins “upgraded” .

When I booked the Meraviglia for September, I booked a Bella balcony on deck 9 but we got moved to a Fantastica balcony on deck 12 a few days before departure. The reason? Since we were cruising at limited capacity, they were moving people around to keep occupied cabins together due to staffing.

I would’ve been happy with the upgrade but we got moved from starboard to port side (I specifically wanted to be on the starboard side), and our original cabin had a larger, angled balcony, but our new one had a smaller, standard sized balcony.

I did ask at guest services if we could be moved back to my original cabin. While they couldn’t do that, they at least moved us back to the starboard side. 

Our move was NOT an upgrade!!! Not happy with MSC, very poor first impression I'm getting.

From what others who have been onboard have said here is that most of if not all of deck 9 is being used for quarantine/isolation to accommodate the cdc’s recommendations. 

So going forward I wouldn’t choose a room on deck 9 until at least after Jan 22nd when the cdc’s recommendation is supposed to expire because chances are you’ll get moved. 

On 10/27/2021 at 1:16 PM, PandasAndGiraffesOnTour said:

We also got "upgraded". We have a Bella guaranteed balcony, and they moved us to a Fantastica balcony. It's a nice enough area of the ship, and research indicates this might be the difference of having a couch vs no couch, so I'm all about it. 🙂 

Hope this doesn't happen to me I've booked Bella Balcony (3 ppl) Portside 9th deck... now shows guarantee balcony.

• 4 weeks later...

Booked Meraviglia for 12/12/21.  Picked  a Deck 9 Fantastica Balcony and as of a month ago its listed as guarantee.  MSC never notified me of the change; my TA and I have called MSC many times and they say the sailing is "locked" and cannot assign a cabin yet. Hope I get one before we get to the pier.  

We also booked months ago on Meraviglia 12/19/21 in two deck 9 balcony cabins side-by-side, but not adjoining. Suddenly we find we now have guarantee cabins. When I called MSC to ask why (Covid, of course) I was told they would "try" to place us in cabins close together. I hope we aren't on opposite ends of the ship, or on different decks. I know it's because of the times we're in, but still irritating to be in limbo this close to our cruise. I'll try calling again next week to be sure the bookings are still linked because it doesn't show that anymore online.

On 10/27/2021 at 2:48 PM, Ofmyheart said:

Hummm, seems they are clearing out deck 9. We sale 11/13 & got moved to 11 from 9, but no notification. I just happened to see it in the app.

I read on another thread that deck 9 is reserved for COVID quarantine, but of course it’s hearsay

On 11/28/2021 at 8:05 AM, hmwende said:

I read on another thread that deck 9 is reserved for COVID quarantine, but of course it’s hearsay

Just back, deck 9 was indeed used as COVID isolation for NEW crew members just boarding.

• Like 2