Breakaway skipping Bermuda today (October 27)

Turtles06

We’re on board the Breakaway right now, the Oct. 24-31 cruise. We’ve been sailing in strong winds since Monday night, and yesterday the Captain announced that we’d be late into Bermuda today, arriving at about 12:30pm instead of 8:30am. But the weather did not improve today (Wednesday)  — more winds and squalls — and the Captain just announced that for reasons of safety, we will not attempt to dock today.   We will try again tomorrow morning. I’m sorry for the folks who’ve never been to Bermuda before. 

On the positive side, the ship is only at 38% capacity, with a crew:guest ratio of 1:1.  The service is wonderful, there are no lines for anything, and we saw SIX two nights in a row.  Plus we went swimming in the fog and wind this morning, and had the comfortably warm pool to ourselves. 😊

• Like 7

Wow, 38% that's great

I wonder how many upgrades to the Haven they had?

I checked the web cam this morning, it was very windy and lots of rain. Now its cloudy and the water is almost flat

Screen Shot 2021-10-27 at 11.27.16 AM.png

Edited by Laszlo
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, meatball_nyc said:

Hoping the winds calm down and that you can dock in the morning.

Listen to the winds on the Dockyard webcam here:

https://www.portbermudawebcam.com

Enjoy the the rest of your cruise!

Fair winds and following seas!

Thats when the skills of the Ship and Tug Captains come into play 😁

• Like 1

Oh no!  I know what you're going through because we had the last day in Bermuda cut from the 9/26 itinerary so we could get out of the way of Hurricane Sam.

But you don't really know what tomorrow holds, either.  The only good point is the weather can change rather fast there and the sun can suddenly appear.  Hope you get to enjoy at least one of your excursions!

Glad to hear the onboard experience is favorable and that you and Eileen continue to enjoy yourselves.  Must be a brisk day for chewable meclazine the last couple of days!

Hope you can make it to the Swizzle to carry on your tradition but in any event stay safe & healthy!

• Thanks 1

Turtles, is the BA doing donut loops south of the islands b/c that huge Nor-Easter isn't moving northeast away further away, wind & sea swells and waves will be shifting ... expect more gentle rocking & rolling from what I can see and understood on my Windy App for Bermuda & Atlantic.  Bringing her into Dockyard with high tides can still be challenging ... folks might end up with mostly an extended CTN or just a quick few hours ashore.  Feeling bad and sorry about that 😔 but do make the most out of that 1:1 staff to guest ratio. 

Enjoy the ship & dance with the wind 🧐

from my Google Pixel 3aXL on Android 12

Screenshot_20211027-115944.png

Postscripts - as taken from the official Bermuda Weather Service - 

Thursday - 

Mix of sun & cloud, a couple of showers around, mainly in pm...  Winds westerly moderate to strong, gradually veering west-northwesterly and easing moderate overnight...  High near 26°C/78°F, low near 22°C/72°F. Clear sky

Valid: Today through Friday

Updated: 11:30 am Wednesday, October 27, 2021
Small Craft Warning
Issued when winds of mean speed 20 to 33 knots and/or seas of 9 feet or greater are forecast to affect the marine area within the next 36 hours.
Please refer to the latest forecast for detailed information on conditions likely to affect Bermuda and the surrounding marine area. This is available by logging onto our website at www.weather.bm.

The above warning(s) will be updated as conditions warrant.
- Meteorologist: Gary Hall
Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

The wind speed and direction are not suppose to change for the next 36 hours. Late afternoon on Thursday they might be under 20 knots.

The only good thing the Captain has going for him is the wind is blowing from west to east. So if he does decided to dock the wind won't be blowing the ship into the pier

Screen Shot 2021-10-27 at 12.18.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-27 at 12.23.17 PM.png

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, tokidoki said:

Just heard that there’s a couple put into quarantine on the Breakaway! 

I was on 9/26 and we never heard any info although I read here there was supposedly a spa crew member so others were also quarantined.

Nobody was able to really verify the rumor.

How did you find this out?  Are you by chance on the ship now or you heard it from someone who is?

Just now, snorklinbarb said:

I was on 9/26 and we never heard any info although I read here there was supposedly a spa crew member so others were also quarantined.

How did you find this out?  Are you by chance on the ship now or you heard it from someone who is?

Hi Barb! I was on your sailing. On the early Friday we left (waaah), I spoke with a fellow passenger who shared with me that two couples were put into quarantine after they were in Bermuda. Not sure how she knew. But who knows?! 

33 minutes ago, snorklinbarb said:

The YouTube page La Lido Loca is reporting the quarantine.  He is in contact with some other YouTubers and they are feeding him the information.  It doesn't sound like a big deal, but he happens to know the people that are in quarantine.  I'm going on the Breakaway this Sunday.

10 minutes ago, donnajoedoc said:

The YouTube page La Lido Loca is reporting the quarantine.  He is in contact with some other YouTubers and they are feeding him the information.  It doesn't sound like a big deal, but he happens to know the people that are in quarantine.  I'm going on the Breakaway this Sunday.

It's not a big deal, but he will make it one. More views for his YT channel Lol

Now if a zombie apocalypse breaks on a ship give me the live updates  LOL

Edited by Laszlo
  • Haha 4

It is a tight, precision approach through the reefs to get to the dock. And the Breakaway is a giant sail. If she gets pushed a bit off course, she could be making the news like the Dawn that ran around on the reef in 2015 after a temporary malfunction. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, snorklinbarb said:

You tuber Tony

2 hours ago, donnajoedoc said:

On my way back from breakfast on deck 10. I saw some crew walking towards cabins with ppe and other protective gear. Also a bag from the duty free shop.

A few minutes ago (about 5:15pm local time) the Captain announced that he’d taken the ship closer to land to assess the situation, but it was still a no-go. As he explained, it’s a tricky channel and, for a ship this big, the conditions have to be pretty much perfect.  We are going to pick up the pilot at 10:00am tomorrow and try again. Meanwhile, it’s turned into  a beautiful evening at sea.  

• Like 4