A couple of questions about Riviera

tipsygirl

First question is what time does Baristas open in the morning?

Second is about bringing alcoholic beverages onboard. I found the updated policy that one can bring 9 bottles  of wine on board when embarking. Can we bring spirits onboard , either when embarking or  can we purchase spirits on shore in the ports to drink in our room.

2 hours ago, tipsygirl said:

First question is what time does Baristas open in the morning?

Second is about bringing alcoholic beverages onboard. I found the updated policy that one can bring 9 bottles  of wine on board when embarking. Can we bring spirits onboard , either when embarking or  can we purchase spirits on shore in the ports to drink in our room.

Despite the CYA statement on the O website (the August 2020 update says 6 bottles. What update do you have that says 9?), we have never encountered (or heard of anyone encountering) an issue with bringing as much wine and/or spirits aboard as you desire. We do longer cruises and usually start with a case. BTW, you can replenish your stock in various ports on your itinerary.

Of course, the consumption rules are “set in stone.” Personal booze is for in-cabin consumption except that bottles of wine can be brought to restaurants and other appropriate public spaces for a $25 corkage fee (includes gratuity). If you happen not to finish a bottle at dinner, the wine stewards will store your bottle for future retrieval (just ask any wine steward in any venue).

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

If you happen not to finish a bottle at dinner, the wine stewards will store your bottle for future retrieval (just ask any wine steward in any venue).

I always have appreciated this storage option because I still prefer to eat rather than drink my vacation calories when onboard, in contrast to legaleaglegreen, who leads a much more balanced life.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CintiPam said:

I always have appreciated this storage option because I still prefer to eat rather than drink my vacation calories when onboard, in contrast to legaleaglegreen, who leads a much more balanced life.

“Different strokes....”

Nonetheless, I still have a hard time trying to figure out how two people (with/without food) cannot finish a good bottle of wine at a single meal sitting.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

“Different strokes....”

Nonetheless, I still have a hard time trying to figure out how two people (with/without food) cannot finish a good bottle of wine at a single meal sitting.

Not so hard to figure out. Whether it's a good bottle of wine or not, for some people one glass is enough😉. YMMV

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, tgg said:

Not so hard to figure out. Whether it's a good bottle of wine or not, for some people one glass is enough😉. YMMV

Very easy to figure out. I may have predetermined that I’m having the Osso Bucco in Toscana tonight. Therefore, I bring a delightful Brunello to dinner to accompany it.

However, first I want one of the table made Ceasar Salads with anchovies of course . It’s not truly a Ceasar Salad without anchovies! Champagne loves salt, and champagne pairs wonderfully with it. So if/when the by the glass champagne selection is adequate, I will always have a glass with the salad. Then perhaps I have a small plate Primi that requires some white. I have that glass of white wine.

Now, all that time my Brunello has been decanting and out comes my Osso Bucco. I’m ready, but my lovely wife opts to have a really nice fish that is fresh today and special on the menu. She goes for a glass of Chardonnay leaving me the entire bottle of Brunello! In my younger days it wouldn’t been a problem. On a foolish day now it mightn’t be a problem. However, most likely I savor a couple glasses, have the wine returned to the bottle, and off to storage where I might enjoy the remainder with the prime rib in the PG, with which it also pairs nicely.

Such events happen frequently. Great meals, great wines! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Very easy to figure out…. She goes for a glass of Chardonnay leaving me the entire bottle of Brunello! In my younger days it wouldn’t been a problem. On a foolish day now it mightn’t be a problem. However, most likely I savor a couple glasses, have the wine returned to the bottle, and off to storage where I might enjoy the remainder with the prime rib in the PG, with which it also pairs nicely.

Such events happen frequently. Great meals, great wines! 

True that after a cocktail (very occasionally even two) with my trivia team or shore excursion companions, I may not be willing to enjoy more than one glass of my spouse’s beloved Brunello. And also true that as he ages (which of course I do not!), he feels much much better the following morning if he has not imbibed five glasses at one dinner.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

..... She goes for a glass of Chardonnay leaving me the entire bottle of Brunello! In my younger days it wouldn’t been a problem.......

You’re as young as you feel.... And how young you feel may certainly depend on the wine consumption.

In any case, you make a good point about the “bigger picture.”

Of course, we could follow the Jacques Pepin occasional “one size fits all” as in Rosé of Pinot Noir. In fact, we could make it a sparkling one. (I know Martin Ray is rolling one out in the not-too-distant future and I love many of their  their Pinots).

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

You’re as young as you feel.... And how young you feel may certainly depend on the wine consumption.

In any case, you make a good point about the “bigger picture.”

Of course, we could follow the Jacques Pepin occasional “one size fits all” as in Rosé of Pinot Noir. In fact, we could make it a sparkling one. (I know Martin Ray is rolling one out in the not-too-distant future and I love many of their  their Pinots).

There are numerous Blanc de Noirs and Brut Roses on the market that I enjoy immensely, either drank alone or paired with a meal. The Dom P La Reserve dinner allows one to enjoy perhaps both.

Allow me to add sheepishly to my story above. Fully realizing that the wine by the glass list normally contains at least one of the following: TBA, ice wine, vin Santo, or port, I may want to indulge in dessert. So fully contemplating my dessert/dessert wine pairing, further motivates me to halt on the Brunello for a future meal. 😜

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 1

OK, looks like my questions started lots of other discussion. Response to a few....

the 9 bottles is on the website today.

We drink wine every day and will happily have a full bottle of wine with a meal. And we love wine dinners where we can have different wine with each course.  

So that being said if you book multiple dinners in La Rive for the same dinner, such as two of the Odyssey dinners are the menus and the wines the same, or do they change.

In La Reserve the Odyssey menu stays the same and the wines are the same, they do not change. If you want something different you would need to reserve one of the other menus being offered.

2 minutes ago, Jancruz said:

Thats me one or two glasses is all I can drink..

Jancruz1

Saying that..I have signed up for La Reserve for Odyssey dinner and the Dom dinner a week later

Dont call me the next morning..LOL

Jancruz1

• Like 2

Thanks for all your responses.
We sailed on Marina a couple of years ago around the coast of Spain. We had great fun visiting wine shops in each of our ports to find wines for dinner. Our upcoming cruise is in the carribbean so the wine shoppong will be very different. We had no problems bringing alcoholic beverages on board for that cruise. Just wanted to check to see if Oceania’s lenient attitude toward bring alcohol on board had changed.

We did not do any La Rive dinners on that trip, but have both an Odyssey and a La Cuisine Bourgeois dinner booked for this. Raise.We were considering booking additional nights.  Is either menu worth a second booking since the menu does not change? We are not interested in the Champagne dinner, although we do enjoy Champagne

10 hours ago, pinotlover said:

wine by the glass list normally contains at least one of the following: TBA, ice wine, vin Santo, or port

Are you saying they have a Trockenbeerenauslese on the 'by the glass' menu?  Does that require a beverage package?

22 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Are you saying they have a Trockenbeerenauslese on the 'by the glass' menu?  Does that require a beverage package?

The by the glass wine menu changes regularly on each ship. I have indeed been on ships where a TbA has been on that menu available to all. That menu with dessert wines changes regularly. The listed dessert wine might be a TbA, ice wine, vin Santo, sherry,  port, or some late harvest stickies. It’s a box of chocolates, you’ll never know what you’ll get until you board your specific cruise. Unlike most of the offerings, the listed stickies have typically been perfectly acceptable.