Lawn club Grill: Tips not included in price

fstuff1

Edge, 1st night 50% of special ($22.50).

Food came quick and was delicious.

When I given the check,I asked my waiter if tip was included in the price and he said no.

My understanding is that tip IS included in the price.

So Tip not included in discounted priced meals?

Edited by fstuff1

Just now, PTC DAWG said:

I’d take the waiter at his word…

That said, I always leave CASH for the waiters. 

Doh!

I put it on the tip line.

Forgot that it gets disbursed to all wait staff on ship where as cash is only disbursed to those at that particular restaurant

3 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

Doh!

I put it on the tip line.

Forgot that it gets disbursed to all wait staff on ship where as cash is only disbursed to those at that particular restaurant

Better than nothing…

3 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

It's always been my understanding that the  specialty cover charge included the gratuity for the wait staff.   I've never seen an announcement that this has changed.

It's quite possible the tip is now not included if the price of the meal is 50% off. If so, it's makes sense since they ships are definitely not sailing at full capacity and the wait staff relies heavily on our tips. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

Edge, 1st night 50% of special ($22.50).

Food came quick and was delicious.

When I given the check,I asked my waiter if tip was included in the price and he said no.

My understanding is that tip IS included in the price.

So Tip not included in discounted priced meals?

Tips are included with the price of the meal.   I know this because if you pre-reserve and prepay,  when you go...they won't give you a bill or statement to sign.  The rate is 18%.  I also asked.  It's the same with the discounted meal.  Even when you go to Sushi on 5, they printed bill you get includes and 18% gratuity.  There is a space though for you to add to that.  It's easy to mist that there is already a gratuity added.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

Tips are included with the price of the meal.   I know this because if you pre-reserve and prepay,  when you go...they won't give you a bill or statement to sign.  The rate is 18%.  I also asked.  It's the same with the discounted meal.  Even when you go to Sushi on 5, they printed bill you get includes and 18% gratuity.  There is a space though for you to add to that.  It's easy to mist that there is already a gratuity added.

Here's my receipt from Lawn Grill Club.

No where on it says tip for the food. Only says auto-20% tip for beverages.

lcg.jpg

When I ate at Tuscan on Equinox back in Sept, it was at 30% off.
I asked for the check and was told i didnt need to sign for anything so i left. (hence, i assume tip was included, which reinforced what i read on this board.)

So maybe there's a difference in tipping not being included when it's 50% off?

(in which case, i view it as a marketing trick since it's not really 50% off if tip isnt included. It seems about the same as 30% off but includes 20% tip?)

Edited by fstuff1

14 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

lcg.jpg

I asked for the check and was told i didnt need to sign for anything so i left. (hence, i assume tip was included, which reinforced what i read on this board.)

(in which case, i view it as a marketing trick since it's not really 50% off if tip isnt included. It seems about the same as 30% off but includes 20% tip?)

If the regular cost is $50 and that includes at 18% tip.....then when you are charged $35 for a discounted meal that also includes an 18% tip.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

lcg.jpg

That's because the tip is included in the meal price.  Drinks are tipped separately because the amount varies based on the user's beverage package and order. You are over complicating it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

That's because the tip is included in the meal price.  Drinks are tipped separately because the amount varies based on the user's beverage package and order. You are over complicating it.

so you're saying the waiter was mistaken when he said no when i asked if tip was included in the meal? 

(i asked after he presented me with the check.)

Edited by fstuff1

1 hour ago, fstuff1 said:

so you're saying the waiter was mistaken when he said no when i asked if tip was included in the meal? 

I can't really speak to his motives or his maybe misunderstanding the question?

We always eat in every specialty. Most times I pre-reserve and pay prior to the cruise, but I've also done at least one unplanned.  I found this issue very confusing, so I really went to great lengths to understand it. I even stood on the dreaded guest services line. I didn't want to fail to tip, but neither did I want to pay 45% in gratuities. It's confusing the way they present it, but I get it now.  So, the tips are included in the base price for the meal.  The add an additional 18% for drinks that are added to the bill. And....they give you a space to add an additional tip if you want.

• Thanks 1

Let us not forget that we are already tipping for our meals with gratuities included (or even if you have cruise only and then tip). So if you are eating in a specialty restaurant, you are not eating in the MD for that meal for which tips have already been paid. I add additional gratuities if the service was truly outstanding as not only have my gratuities already been paid but my meal has been paid twice (once in my basic cruise fare and once in the upcharge for the specialty restaurant).

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, mkam2821 said:

Let us not forget that we are already tipping for our meals with gratuities included (or even if you have cruise only and then tip). So if you are eating in a specialty restaurant, you are not eating in the MD for that meal for which tips have already been paid. I add additional gratuities if the service was truly outstanding as not only have my gratuities already been paid but my meal has been paid twice (once in my basic cruise fare and once in the upcharge for the specialty restaurant).

Meal/tips in MDR not paid twice if you choose to not eat there.  You made a perfectly fine decision to eat in a specialty, you have to of know before you boarded that this was the case.  MDR = gratuity included, Specialty = extra gratuity.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Meal/tips in MDR not paid twice if you choose to not eat there.  You made a perfectly fine decision to eat in a specialty, you have to of know before you boarded that this was the case.  MDR = gratuity included, Specialty = extra gratuity.

Oh but they are.  It seems as though you are contradicting yourself.  Eating in the MDR (or Blu or Luminae or the buffet) the gratuitiues are billed/added on a per day basis. So, whether you eat there or not, the service folks in the dining room are getting their share of your daily rate.  So the amount of the specialty dining fee that is a gratuity is over and above the daily amount you are billed. Add it all up and the gratuity for specialty dining is pretty significant in terms of %.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

No the waiter was not mistaken.  Do you think if he had said "yes" you would have left a tip?  Savvy waiter.  That being said, we are aware the tip is built in but we still leave something for a great meal and an excellent waiter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

Oh but they are.  It seems as though you are contradicting yourself.  Eating in the MDR (or Blu or Luminae or the buffet) the gratuitiues are billed/added on a per day basis. So, whether you eat there or not, the service folks in the dining room are getting their share of your daily rate.  So the amount of the specialty dining fee that is a gratuity is over and above the daily amount you are billed. Add it all up and the gratuity for specialty dining is pretty significant in terms of %.

Right and I know that going into it ahead of time but don’t complain about it after, YMOV.

• Like 1

I take Celebrity at its word.  See the following from the Celebrity website:

Effective November 17, 2020, with the Always Included℠ Pricing Package:

Beverage package gratuities and daily gratuities for Dining Service Staff, Stateroom Attendants, and other Stateroom Service Personnel are included as part of Always Included pricing. An 18% gratuity will be added to all spa & salon purchases onboard.

I don't find it necessary to delve into the minutia of how tips are dispersed.  Knowing cruise line personnel are being tipped on my behalf is enough for me.  Having said that, there's nothing preventing anyone from leaving an additional tip for over-the-top service.

• Thanks 2

This isn't the first time " Tipping in Specialty Restaurants " has been discussed over and over again.

Here's the answer ( again ) that we were told by a Hotel Mgr, a Maître'D , and a Waiter in Murano , Tuscan and Lawn Grill  :

A tip is included in the price.

If you add a tip onto the " Additional Tip " line---- it goes into the Tip Pool 

If you hand a tip to your Waiter ---- he/she can keep the tip for themselves.

Seems pretty simple.

12 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

A tip is included in the price.

If you add a tip onto the " Additional Tip " line---- it goes into the Tip Pool 

If you hand a tip to your Waiter ---- he/she can keep the tip for themselves.

Seems pretty simple.

Exactly the way it's done on Princess.  Seems reasonable...