Heads Up on the Basic Internet package that comes with All Included

Ken the cruiser

Prior to Surf being introduced there was only one level of WiFi on Celebrity and Wifi calling used to work.  Maybe the user referencing premium level WiFi was thinking of another line?

While I don't think it should be expected to use WiFi calling as it's a high bandwidth application I do think it should be assumed that you could surf Cruise Critic without issue.

16 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

While I don't think it should be expected to use WiFi calling as it's a high bandwidth application I do think it should be assumed that you could surf Cruise Critic without issue.

Wifi calling needn't be a high bandwidth hog.  Takes only about 

100Kbps, and that's really gross overkill caused by lack of efficient bandwidth use.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jagoffee said:

I always upgraded to an unlimited package in the old days and I do not recall there being two versions. With the previous 123 and BBB bundles, It seems to me that it was the best available internet at the time.

It is possible that you are both correct, because I am not 100% sure.  

My earliest recollection of the 2 versions of unlimited internet go back to the inaugural season of Edge (2018-2019). My companion upgraded to premium internet because she was having trouble uploading pictures to Facebook. She said it was only slightly better. Wifi calling/texting worked on the BIG BETTER BEST internet without upgrading. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, royalcruz said:

My earliest recollection of the 2 versions of unlimited internet go back to the inaugural season of Edge (2018-2019). My companion upgraded to premium internet because she was having trouble uploading pictures to Facebook. She said it was only slightly better. Wifi calling/texting worked on the BIG BETTER BEST internet without upgrading. 

Thanks as my memory is a little foggy.  I found the highest level streaming internet on my October 2021 Apex cruise to be inferior to any internet that I ever had under the previous BBB bundles.  

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, BillHana said:

While connected using the AI Surf mode is it possible to send and receive cell phone text messages?

Is there a mobile carrier that works better than others while onboard Celebrity?

We are on Equinox this April.

We have had no issues when sending text messages between Apple iPhone/iPad devices.

1 hour ago, BillHana said:

While connected using the AI Surf mode is it possible to send and receive cell phone text messages?

Is there a mobile carrier that works better than others while onboard Celebrity?

With Verizon, we found that among 4 Android devices, all Samsung of varying generations, the Samsung messages app did not work, while the Verizon message+ app did work for texting (devices on wifi in airplane mode) 

4 hours ago, BillHana said:

I have T mobile and could not use regular text messaging on Millenium surf in December. I was able to send text messages through FB Messenger and WhatsApp.

6 hours ago, BillHana said:

Our experience and that of numerous others is that native text mode (that which uses actual cell phone numbers) probably won't work in surf mode, especially if any images are involved.  A third party texting app, on the other hand, would be very likely to function normally.

• 7 months later...

We are sailing on the Apex in September. We have the Basic internet included in our fare. Because I want to send pictures to family etc as we travel I enquired and upgraded for one device (likely my IPad). Does anyone know if I will still be able to use the Basic Wi-Fi for my phone? Thanks in advance

5 minutes ago, leslew said:

We are sailing on the Apex in September. We have the Basic internet included in our fare. Because I want to send pictures to family etc as we travel I enquired and upgraded for one device (likely my IPad). Does anyone know if I will still be able to use the Basic Wi-Fi for my phone? Thanks in advance

Actually I believe it means one device at a time per account. I always switch back and forth between my iPad and iPhone depending on the circumstances. When I log onto one, it knocks the other offline.

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Actually I believe it means one device at a time per account. I always switch back and forth between my iPad and iPhone depending on the circumstances. When I log onto one, it knocks the other offline.

That would be great news! Hope you are right. Thank you

46 minutes ago, leslew said:

That would be great news! Hope you are right. Thank you

I’m on the Summit right now and have the Premium package and currently post to my Live From thread using my iPad when I’m back in the cabin, but switch my connection to  my iPhone when we’re moving around the ship.

First I launch login.com through safari, which triggers the onboard Celebrity “switching” screen

1713986F-61E2-4C58-B3A3-177188D6EA01.thumb.png.d9a31ee3f98cc1bdcf25a0389b5234d7.png

and then sign into my internet account and switch devices when this screen appears.

8A4D821B-C8EC-4985-BC4F-B45B1C9557B4.thumb.png.0008d059de6707efa1d1f354d39470ad.png

Edited by Ken the cruiser

I found the basic included internet is ship dependent. On Equinox in April there seemed to be no restrictions with basic. Text and WIFI calling worked and I could access CruiseCritic. On Summit a month later only the basic internet stuff worked and it was very slow. CruiseCritic didn't work.