Heads Up on the Basic Internet package that comes with All Included

Ken the cruiser

We just boarded the Apex yesterday for a 9 day cruise booked in a SV with the All Included perks and had a very rude awaking that we didn’t experience when we were on the Edge in a SS back in August.

Hint: you can only view the CC forums found at boards.cruisecritic.com if you have purchased their “streaming” internet service. 

Here’s what we experienced yesterday which may seem familiar to some of you that have sailed recently with Celebrity and received the Basic Internet services package with the All Included perks. 

From the time I first created my internet account when we boarded until about 9:15 pm that evening, I was using the Basic unlimited internet account for 1 device we each received with our All Included package. The problem was, besides only being allowed to perform email functions and to surf “simple” websites, I was only achieving 0.43 mbps download speeds regardless if I was on our SV balcony with the door closed, in the cabin, in the theater or even the iLounge. BUT the big issue for me was that I could not successfully log onto the Cruise Critic Boards.  Why? Because it’s a multi-tiered (my words) website and logging onto boards.cruisecritic.com was just too multifaceted for what the basic AI internet package is designed to allow. 

It wasn’t until I went down to the iLounge and showed them my issue that they said I needed to upgrade to their “streaming” internet service to access this type of complicated web site. Luckily, I just made Elite+ and had 240 free minutes of “streaming” internet available to me, which I later upgraded to unlimited for an additional $117 for our 9 day cruise. BTW the download speed also increased to between 1.5 - 2 mbps, over 3 times as fast as we’re were experiencing with the Basic package. 

Bottom line, you will need to upgrade to Streaming if you want to access Cruise Critic threads or other “multifaceted” websites. 

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Thanks 4

17 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We just boarded the Apex yesterday for a 9 day cruise booked in a SV with the All Included perks and had a very rude awaking that we didn’t experience when we were on the Edge in a SS back in August.

Hint: you can only view the CC forums found at boards.cruisecritic.com if you have purchased their “streaming” internet service. 

Here’s what we experienced yesterday which may seem familiar to some of you that have sailed recently with Celebrity and received the Basic Internet services package with the All Included perks. 

From the time I first created my internet account when we boarded until about 9:15 pm that evening, I was using the Basic unlimited internet account for 1 device we each received with our All Included package. The problem was, besides only being allowed to perform email functions and to surf “simple” websites, I was only achieving 0.43 mbps download speeds regardless if I was on our SV balcony with the door closed, in the cabin, in the theater or even the iLounge. BUT the big issue for me was that I could not successfully log onto the Cruise Critic Boards.  Why? Because it’s a multi-tiered (my words) website and logging onto boards.cruisecritic.com was just too multifaceted for what the basic AI internet package is designed to allow. 

It wasn’t until I went down to the iLounge and showed them my issue that they said I needed to upgrade to their “streaming” internet service to access this type of complicated web site. Luckily, I just made Elite+ and had 240 free minutes of “streaming” internet available to me, which I later upgraded to unlimited for an additional $117 for our 9 day cruise. BTW the download speed also increased to between 1.5 - 2 mbps, over 3 times as fast as we’re were experiencing with the Basic package. 

Bottom line, you will need to upgrade to Streaming if you want to access Cruise Critic threads or other “multifaceted” websites. 

I'm on the Edge right now and have no problem accessing Cruisecritic on the basic surf wifi package. Using an old android phone which is running Android 6 OS which is so old that it isn't able to run the Celebrity app (sold my pixel 5 phone ahead of the new pixel 6 which is being delivered at home as we speak). Typing my response to you on surf wifi right now. 

• Like 1

For some like my DH the surf package is fine.   Uses the internet to  check and respond to email and do some basic surfing.  I pay to upgrade to stream if not in a suite.  We were on the Edge last month B2B with stream and it was very slow at the beginning of the cruise but improved until the last day when the connect would drop frequently.

25 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

I'm on the Edge right now and have no problem accessing Cruisecritic on the basic surf wifi package. Using an old android phone which is running Android 6 OS which is so old that it isn't able to run the Celebrity app (sold my pixel 5 phone ahead of the new pixel 6 which is being delivered at home as we speak). Typing my response to you on surf wifi right now. 

That is great news to hear. Hopefully this limitation is only being experienced on the Apex as we will be sailing on the Summit in a December and the Reflection in February. If I might ask, what is your current upload speed using speedtest.net? Our current download speed is 0.48 mbps. For devices my DW and I each have an iPhone and iPad, none of which are the same version.

9 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

That is great news to hear. Hopefully this limitation is only being experienced on the Apex as we will be sailing on the Summit in a December and the Reflection in February. If I might ask, what is your current upload speed using speedtest.net? Our current download speed is 0.48 mbps. For devices my DW and I each have an iPhone and iPad, none of which are the same version.

Screenshot_20211105-154043.png

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, jgmorgan said:

Hey Ken, you upgraded the 240 minutes to unlimited?  I will be Elite+ on my next cruise and that sounds like a pretty good deal.

Yes, for this 9 day cruise it was $117 to upgrade from the basic AI internet service to unlimited streaming. I believe the discount is 35% when you make Elite+.

My DW and I have come up with a strategy. On future cruises like our second leg on this B2B, one will upgrade from the basic AI package to unlimited streaming at the start of the cruises while the other will keep the basic package and have the 240 minutes free streaming Elite+ perk added as a second option to their account, much like I had to do last night. That way you can use the basic unlimited package without having to log off to conserve minutes and then only use the streaming option when it becomes necessary.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

Talk about timing. Here’s the text of an interesting email just arrived in my DW’s email account today. When you get a chance, would it be possible for you to stop by the iLounge on the Edge and ask them if they have implemented the Xcelerate Surf Wi-Fi program yet? I’m just curious if this is a beta test of this new program on the Apex with the potential for being released fleet wide?

“As a valued Elite Plus member, we'd like to remind you that our Always Included cruise package includes Xcelerate Surf Wi-Fi access. 

To use voice apps like Skype, stream shows and videos from Netflix and YouTube, and post photos on Facebook and Instagram while you're at sea, on up to four devices, use your exclusive 35% Captain's Club membership discount and upgrade to Xcelerate Stream Wi-Fi access pre-cruise. 

This offer is not available online. To redeem these special member benefits, please call the number below before you sail.”

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Not just the Apex. The included surf internet on our October Pacific Coastal cruise on the Millennium did not allow access to cruise critic and I could not send/receive pictures with text or imessage on my iPhone. I had to use my Elite minutes to do those things.

12 minutes ago, DUTRAVEL said:

Not just the Apex. The included surf internet on our October Pacific Coastal cruise on the Millennium did not allow access to cruise critic and I could not send/receive pictures with text or imessage on my iPhone. I had to use my Elite minutes to do those things.

Thanks for that. It was sounding like I was the only one running around saying the sky is falling. 😎

Talk about timing. Here’s the text of an interesting email just arrived in my DW’s email account today. When you get a chance, would it be possible for you to stop by the iLounge on the Edge and ask them if they have implemented the Xcelerate Surf Wi-Fi program yet? I’m just curious if this is a beta test of this new program on the Apex with the potential for being released fleet wide?

“As a valued Elite Plus member, we'd like to remind you that our Always Included cruise package includes Xcelerate Surf Wi-Fi access. 

To use voice apps like Skype, stream shows and videos from Netflix and YouTube, and post photos on Facebook and Instagram while you're at sea, on up to four devices, use your exclusive 35% Captain's Club membership discount and upgrade to Xcelerate Stream Wi-Fi access pre-cruise. 

This offer is not available online. To redeem these special member benefits, please call the number below before you sail.”

My husband upgraded from surf to stream. As an Elite member the upgrade fee was $98 for a 7 day cruise. He was able to stream TV. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

My husband upgraded from surf to stream. As an Elite member the upgrade fee was $98 for a 7 day cruise. He was able to stream TV. 

So were you updating CC threads on your original basic package or the streaming package your husband upgraded to?

@ChucktownSteve, not necessarily if you just want to check email, play digital app games to include their video ads where you get free lives (according to my DW) that require Internet connectivity and simple web searches and logging on to Facebook (but not posting pictures) and such. But, good luck interfacing with CC or other multi tiered websites. 

• Like 1

So were you updating CC threads on your original basic package or the streaming package your husband upgraded to?

No, I have the basic surf that's part of the Always Included package. We upgraded only one person's wifi. FYI, the upgrade must be done at the I lounge by someone and cannot be done automatically when you login. The options given at log in are only for 24hrs and not the whole cruise upgrade. 

So to repeat, I'm posting this update on Cruise Critic using the basic wifi which is called surf. 

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

@kwokpotwere you ever able to go by the iLounge yet to see if they have even implemented the Xcelerate Surf Wi-Fi and Xcelerate Stream Wi-Fi on the Edge?

As an alternative ask your husband what it says on his “Your connected to Internet” home page after he successfully connects to the internet. Your Home Page as well as his should say something in the Service Type like what I noted below if Xcelerate has been implemented on the Edge. Thanks!

For example:

Folio number: (Shipboard account number

Username: (user name)

Duration: End of Voyage

Devices: 1

Service Type: Xcelerate stre… (if using the new streaming package) 

Service Type: Voucher_GS… (if using Xcelerate basic package)

21 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

That is what we have. 

IMG_20211105_215445~2.jpg

Thanks. Well it sounds like your old android is just the ticket to bypass the issues we are seeing when using the basic Xcelerate Surf Wi-Fi package. What I find kind of interesting is that no one else on either the Apex or the Edge or any other Celebrity ship currently at sea has chimed in yet saying they’re not seeing any issues logging into CC either using the basic unlimited internet service provided with the AI package. I’m guessing because, unlike your android, they’re iPads and iPhones are having issues logging on to the CC boards. But that’s just a guess. 😎

4 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Using the surf wifi many of my Android phone apps worked with no issue, ie Facebook, Instagram, SoundCloud, Spotify among others. I was not able to get YouTube to work properly. 

Just curious, were you able to upload photos to any of those apps you mentioned like the advertisement suggested you couldn’t?

9 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Just curious, were you able to upload photos to any of those apps you mentioned like the advertisement suggested you couldn’t?

Yes, I am able to upload photos to Facebook. I'm uploading photos to Cruisecritic using their website interface. 

3 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Yes, I am able to upload photos to Facebook. I'm uploading photos to Cruisecritic using their website interface. 

Cool! Your old android is definitely paying you dividends on your cruise. Hopefully it continues to give you great service for many years to come! 😎

1 minute ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Cool! Your old android is definitely paying you dividends on your cruise. 😎

I'll see what happens when I'm on the, Summit in two weeks with my brand new Pixel 6 phone. Although I'm in Aquaclass we're on simply sail so no Internet package. I'll probably use my Elite 90 minutes and elite discount towards buying a surf package. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Thanks. Well it sounds like your old android is just the ticket to bypass the issues we are seeing when using the basic Xcelerate Surf Wi-Fi package. What I find kind of interesting is that no one else on either the Apex or the Edge or any other Celebrity ship currently at sea has chimed in yet saying they’re not seeing any issues logging into CC either using the basic unlimited internet service provided with the AI package. I’m guessing because, unlike your android, they’re iPads and iPhones are having issues logging on to the CC boards. But that’s just a guess. 😎

I’m thinking that we haven’t heard of many issues with the basic package because it seems the majority of the “live” posters so far have been in suites which come with the faster stream wifi? Just a possibility 🤔 

At any rate I’m enjoying your posts and wish you happy cruising! 😊